• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gad Guard DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I sugest waiting till later episodes to judge Gad Guard, like kiddy grade is has a slow start.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:17 pm Reply with quote
The reviewer acknowledged that it could just be a slow start.

Quote:
If the story picks up later on, then Gad Guard might be very enjoyable; otherwise, it's just another so-so mecha title in a market that's already full of them.

However, this single DVD what he's reviewing, not the entire series.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:27 pm Reply with quote
i like it. the style reminds me a lot of Osamu Tezuka's work.
biliano*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I like it too. The jazzy score fits the setting perfectly. The first four episodes do make the series start slowly a la Kiddy Grade.

After I read Carlo's review, I recall DriftRoot making an excellent post in the Shelf Life - And a Happy New Year thread explaining what she believed to be the best way to watch Kiddy Grade. Here it is:

Quote:
I think the best way to watch Kiddy Grade is to go into it expecting one thing, be disappointed, then slowly realize what you're getting is better, if different, than what you originally had in mind.

This concept also applies to watching Gad Guard.

As for the dub, I agree with what Carlo wrote that the actors did an respectable job, especially Rafael Antonio Oliver, who did the dub for Hajiki. Hajiki's voice sounded much older than an average 15-year old, which showed a more mature and edgier character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1