• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
could you help me find an anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MythOfAtlantis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:38 am Reply with quote
Hello, i was wondering if someone could help me find an anime series. i dont have a lot of information, i watched this show when i was 4 years old, and this is the series that got me to start drawing. i think its a japanese anime because the animation seemed japanese.. i saw it in 1984, so its most likely older- from the late 70s to the early 80s, but probably before 1984. i think the title could have something to do with "the magic sword". the characters are children, dressed like in the middle ages, main character a red haired boy, i think his name was Roy. their hair was short with long side locks. i think there was also a boy with a donkey... Confused
i think it was a quest type of series.
i really just want to know what its called, this show is a corner stone in my life!

if anyone knows, i'll be eternally grateful! Smile
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, the description you give us is a little generic, but might this be Adventures of Little El Cid?
http://animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=404

Here are some images:
http://perso.club-internet.fr/arnomag/rody.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:08 pm Reply with quote
speaking of finding lost childhood cartoons...

i think i've just found one of the earliest cartoons i can ever remember seeing... the 80s Astroboy.

I only saw 1-2 episodes, back in ~1984, in french i believe... the episode that stands out most prominently in my mind is one that featured a little girl who split herself in two so that one could go fight robots in the stadium while the other stayed sick in bed or something. or maybe not. all that was important was that there were 2 little girls that looked the same. :)

well, suprise suprise while reading around about astroboy on a whim, I trundled across a .au website with a scan of the cover of one of the .au 80s astroboy video tapes, and much to my suprise it was a picture of the little girl, just as i remembered her!... arguing with an exact duplicate of herself!

so, i think one of the few remaining childhood mysteries of my life is just about to be solved. now all i gotta do is find which us tape has that episode to verify it... or else dig up a pal vcr and get the .au tape...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Hey! I remember that episode! Astro was lonely so professor what's-his-name built him a family, including a similarly superpowered little sister. She got lost, wound up on a battle arena and kicked the shit out of the big bad gladiator robots. The owner of the arena wanted her to become a regular gladiator because she made a spectacular (i.e. profitable) show, and she wanted to accept because it was fun. But her parents didn't want her to fight, so the owner of the arena did a little modification on her which allowed her to split in 2 identical copies, thus being able to do 2 things at once. One copy would go to school, and the other would fight in the arena. But by splitting in 2 her powers were also reduced by 2, and once in the arena she was in trouble. It was up to Astro to save the day. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MythOfAtlantis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:54 am Reply with quote
OMG!!! this is it!!!! thank you SO much!!!! i dont know why i always thought the name was Roy, i guess because i was only 4 years old and it was dubbed to hebrew (i live in Israel).. thank you so much you've just solved a childhood mystery that haunted me for years!!!! Very Happy
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Hey! I remember that episode! Astro was lonely so professor what's-his-name built him a family, including a similarly superpowered little sister.

w00t. one mystery down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1