• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: The 8 Greatest Weapons Wielded by Women

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellfish

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:12 am Reply with quote
Can't beat a nuclear reactor Anime hyper I would like the add the "Harkonnen" (the many versions of it) used by Seras Victoria from Hellsing. And the Damascus blade of Alita Very Happy
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:32 am Reply with quote
With my favorite trigger puller Yoko making the list, I'll give a shout out for Revy and her twin Beretta 92FSs

And a couple more runners up: Ritsuko's T-72 from Those Who Hunt Elves, and Celty's shadow from DRRR!!.

Last edited by Big Hed on Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:39 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the second season of Code Geass yet, but I like to imagine that Nina eventually dies from cancer. She is hands down the most annoying character in the series and deserves the worst death possible.

And if you want a girl with a gun bigger than her, Yoko's sniper rifle is only a few inches taller than her. Seras Victoria's gun is a few feet taller than her, and probably outweighs her by several hundred pounds, especially with a full clip of ammo. Add in the fact that she can dual wield such a gun, and I must say that this is quite the glaring omission!

Another one whom I'd have included would probably be Dokuro-chan and her bat Excaliborg. The sheer devastation this angel brings with a spiked bat and a smile, almost exclusively to one unfortunate boy, would at least be an honorable mention in my mind.
tobeast777

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:01 am Reply with quote
Out of all the crazy weapons in lyrical nanoha strikers how does Due's little claw make the list haha why not Fate's Bardiche which is a giant scythe and turns into an even more giant energy sword?
nx6

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:14 am Reply with quote
What's this "men get the coolest mechs" crap?

The Guren Mk-II, one of the coolest mechs in Code Geass, was piloted by Kallen.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
8. Oversized Sniper Rifle - Yoko Littner

Armor Hunter Littner!

Hellfish wrote:
Can't beat a nuclear reactor

I see your nuclear reactor and raise with a singularity.

In descending order of destructiveness:

Gunbuster 2: Nono, who spoiler[is a weapon—the series' ultimate one. Creating and wielding a singularity and controlling a 60,000 mile tall mech are among her abilities.]

Aim for the Top! Gunbuster's eponymous mech, piloted by Noriko Takaya and Kazumi "Onee-sama" Amano.

Honorable mention:

Silent Möbius' Katsumi Liqueur for her honking big sword Grospoliner.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:33 am Reply with quote
What ever happened to anime females' BFF once-greatest-weapon women-only-no-guys-need-apply: the hammerspace? Laughing

Quote:

Law of Anime #37

Law of Extradimensional Capacitance

All anime females have an extradimensional storage space of variable volume somewhere on their person from which they can instantly retrieve any object at a moment's notice.

First Corollary:
(The Hammer Rule) - The most common item stored is a heavy mallet, which can be used with unerring accuracy on any male who deserves it. Other common items include costumes/uniforms, power suits/armor, and large bazookas.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:39 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:

Gunbuster 2: Nono, who spoiler[is a weapon—the series' ultimate one. Creating and wielding a singularity and controlling a 60,000 mile tall mech are among her abilities.]

Aim for the Top! Gunbuster's eponymous mech, piloted by Noriko Takaya and Kazumi "Onee-sama" Amano.

I can't help but notice a third mecha-piloting Gainax Girl missing from that list, one with a rather fiery temperament...
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:59 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:

I can't help but notice a third mecha-piloting Gainax Girl missing from that list, one with a rather fiery temperament...

I just didn't think of her (though her performance in End of Evangelion was impressive), but I'd still bet on either of my choices over an EVA any day. Smile
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:06 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
I'd still bet on either of my choices over an EVA any day. Smile

Yeah, that would be a fools bet. Nono's AT field dwarfs everybody's in Evangelion. Razz
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:19 am Reply with quote
Hellfish wrote:
Can't beat a nuclear reactor Anime hyper I would like the add the "Harkonnen" (the many versions of it) used by Seras Victoria from Hellsing.

Let me second the Harkonen(s).

I also have a respectable soft spot for Alice L. Malvin's Mahne from Pumpkin Scissors--if you're going to bring a knife to a knife fight (duel), a double-bladed sword/lance designed to bring down armored horses kinda has an intimidation factor all its own...

Also, do Weapons that are women count? Because in that case, Chise from Saikano rates an Honorable Mention...
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:22 am Reply with quote
Hehe. Can't have a list like that without Rena Ryuugu Smile

As for Due's nails, I would think half the cast of Witchblade has her beat in that department.

And then there's Yozakura Quartet's Kotoha Isone who can conjure up anything she wants just by saying the word, and frequently uses it to summon some WW2-era German weaponry.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:25 am Reply with quote
I thought Code Geass was a comedy
Racheldoublemm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:33 am Reply with quote
I love this list!
I can't really think of anything I would add but I'm sure there's something....

As far as the poll goes, I like to watch a show and then read the manga. At times, the anime can be word for word taken from the manga and if the case it elongates the experience of the series. If they are different in continuity it then tends to provide two sets of enjoyable story that are likable for different reasons. (it's always the case with yaoi, if anything.) At times, the feel is also different because of changed art styles and colouring, as well.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:34 am Reply with quote
Sad Wrong red-haired Yoko.

Although it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you haven't even heard of Aozaru (or Suigutou / Water Monkey Sword), even if it did help Yoko survive and eventually spoiler[become ruler of Kei].

Maybe if she didn't dress so conservatively?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5