• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favorite Production Studio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Favorite Anime Studio
Spambot Productions Studio Inc.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A-1 Pictures
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
AIC
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
ARMS
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bones
12%
 12%  [ 14 ]
Gainax
9%
 9%  [ 10 ]
Ghibli
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Gonzo
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
JC Staff
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Kyoto Animation
6%
 6%  [ 7 ]
Madhouse
16%
 16%  [ 18 ]
Manglobe
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
PA Works
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Production IG
11%
 11%  [ 12 ]
Shaft
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Studio Deen
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Sunrise
8%
 8%  [ 9 ]
Toei
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Xebec
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 109

The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I keep thinking they did HxC because the character designs are a lot like Edens.

And I only included Denpa Onna because it's widley liked and a nice seller. I'm not crazy about Baccano either (very good, but nothing too special) and Durarara is kind of boring so far, but I'm not holding that against you. But, just for you, I excluded it
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:17 am Reply with quote
Very cool poll! I gots to go with my peeps at Production I.G - to me they are absolutely synonymous with high quality shows. In addition to the ones TKoH has already listed, they also did animation production on Kimi ni Todoke as well as this season's Usagi Drop and Blood-C. I like that they have a range of titles as opposed to one "style." Looking over their English site, I notice they were involved with something called, Vampirians: The Veggie Vampires back in 2001 - not sure that title would stand up to some of the rest of their output! Laughing

Anyway, the surest way for me to get an anime stiffy is to read the headline: "Production I.G announces new anime project."
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I'm not crazy about Baccano either (very good, but nothing too special) and Durarara is kind of boring so far, but I'm not holding that against you.
Bullshit, Baccano!'s(which I just so happened to finish yet another rewatch of earlier today) is freakin' incredile. Razz Couldn't agree more on DRRR!!, though. Confused

Anyway, kudos on this very interesting poll. Haven't really thought about it before, and it's pretty damn hard for me to decide on. In my top 20, I'd say Gonzo shows up more than anyone else, even though Ghibli does score a couple of them, one of them being my #1 favorite. Madhouse has 3 spots in my top 10, though one is 10 itself. And despite how much I love NT,HT it's damn near the only AIC show I've ever seen.

Eh, I'll come back to this, I guess. Laughing

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Rakiko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Toei of course it will always been the best! Very Happy

Toei tv series ( Candy Candy, Sally the witch, Megu-chan, Majokko Tickle, Lalabel, Lunlun, Cutie Honey, Mazinger, Grendizer, Captain Herlock, Galaxy express 999, Sandybel, Tigermask 1 & 2, ...ect

anime movies: Puss'nt boots (nagagutsu) trilogy , Little mermaid/ Ningyo Hime , Aladdin & the wonderful lamp, Swan lake, wild swans, call of the wild

I also love Tatsunoko production, Nippon animation, Tokyo movie shinsha TMS,
Yeah I know the old studios only Anime hyper
Anyway I'm born in 1980 and anime from 70 & 80 are the best for me and....some from the 90s

Last edited by Rakiko on Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote
You know, when I looked over Toei's resumé I was blown away by how many huge and successful franchises they were behind. It's really quite amazing. Like, you can name almost any hugely successful franchise and they're probably behind it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:52 am Reply with quote
I can't pick a favorite as each studio just has a great team of animators. A studio may take credit for production, but it's the additional animation studios which do all the work.

HAL Film Maker, for example, did a fantastic job of producing Aria, but they can't take the credit for all the animation. Production I.G did much of the digital work in the series, such as the water, and we've seen what they can do as lead producers as well.

However, if TKoH were to scream expletives (Samuel L. Jackson style) at me while holding a gun, I'd whimper like Blood- with "J.C. Staff and Bones so please don't eat my moldy bread!"

Just as a little side-step: would you really care what studio did the works of those series which didn't stand out?

I mean, if you look at most resumes, these "prominent" studios were responsible for some of the crap out there too.

KyoAni did Munto. Remember that pile of crap? Wink

Oooh, look over there! It's 2011's best series!

*runs away
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
HAL Film Maker, for example, did a fantastic job of producing Aria, but they can't take the credit for all the animation. Production I.G did much of the digital work in the series, such as the water, and we've seen what they can do as lead producers as well.

You're right, they can't take credit over all the individual things, but that doesn't mean they can't take credit for having the ability to pull it all together. So yes, Production IG did the water for Aria, but HAL are the ones that contacted them to do it. They could've went with another studio and it could've turned out terrible, but they chose the right people for the job. The same goes for in-between animators, directors, writers, and theme song coordinators. The production studio is the one putting it all together, so I believe they have the right to take most of the credit for a show.

Quote:
I mean, if you look at most resumes, these "prominent" studios were responsible for some of the crap out there too.

People always try to pull this with Gainax. Yes, Gainax made He is My Master and This Ugly, Yet Beautiful World, but that doesn't mean you should dismiss the great shows like Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, Kare Kano, and FLCL, 4 shows that would probably make a Top 100 of all time list. No, we shouldn't forget the crap either, but the poop shouldn't be flung around to try and prove a studio isn't really that good or to temper excitement.

It's like if someone tried to go "Yea, Yea, Ghibli is soooooo awesome Rolling Eyes Oh, wait, they made Tales from Earthsea, nevermind lolololololololololol!" It's just how fans of entertainment are. If you have a really good track record we'll overlook your hiccups, as long as they're only hiccups. It also just happens that there isn't one prominent studio that makes nothing but crap, so it's pretty simple to look at a studio and fawn over their achievements, rather than frown over their failures.

So yes, KyAni made Munto, but they're forgiven by many for making Haruhi Suzumiya and Kanon.

Not everything that comes out of a Golden Goose's butt is a golden egg.
braves

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I tend to focus more on staff than on production studios. I see studios as creating a particular culture that plays a large role in determining how a show gets made and which shows get produced, while it's up to the staff members on each individual show to execute the show's ideas successfully. That might be an oversimplification, but it's the best way i can phrase it right now. However, I can see why people think that it's easier to keep tabs on studios instead of individual staff members.

Though, if I had to pick my favorites I'd choose: BONES, GAINAX, Madhouse, Studio Pierrot, Toei, and Production I.G. All of these with numerous qualifiers and explanations that I don't necessarily want to go into. And yes, it's too much to ask to pick only one.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:04 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
They could've went with another studio and it could've turned out terrible...

Speculation alert.
I don't know if I can abide by this statement. When I look at the assists in many of anime's recent releases, I'm noticing a trend: availability. If Production I.G is working on 3 titles, and they've only a set number of staff, it's impossible they'd take on a 4th title unless extra hands are hired or the project is delayed until the next opening.

I don't buy the "terrible" outcome, either. If a studio has a reputation of poor quality, they're not around. As I said, it's the reason I can't pick one because I know studios have talent.

Quote:
Not everything that comes out of a Golden Goose's butt is a golden egg.

Thus, why I can't pick a favorite. To me, they're all the same and this means they're all great. I can find great works from all of them just as I can... not so great works.

As a personal note, I find the boost for KyoAni unfair. It's well known this studio doesn't take many projects it's offered to focus on those it does have.

Other studios take projects because it's work, meaning they're more likely to be held responsible for "crap" when fans object.

In an age where refusing to take work means a threat of closing, sometimes the goose has to be fed filler.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Any particular reason Studio Pierrot is not on the list?

Not putting Pierrot on that list is like not putting Steven Spielberg on a list of favorite movie directors (even though I don't like Spielberg, myself).
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As a personal note, I find the boost for KyoAni unfair. It's well known this studio doesn't take many projects it's offered to focus on those it does have.

Other studios take projects because it's work, meaning they're more likely to be held responsible for "crap" when fans object.

Why does Kyoto Animation need to take on every project offered? Have you seen the huge sellers they've made? I don't know how much money they're sitting on (Nichijou makes it look like they have a lot of money to work with), but I have to imagine there's only a handful of studios doing better than them financially, so they're in the position to not only pick and choose their shows, but to make the shows they do come out really well because they aren't working on 4 or 5 shows at a time with staff spread everywhere.

I don't get why you're holding their success against them because they aren't scraping for work like other companies. Sure, they're doing less work than Shaft or Madhouse, and therefore are less likely to make stinkers, but that shouldn't be held against them. The fact that they can make one show a year while still being financially stable should actually be a testament to them because it shows that they're putting concentrated effort into one thing to make sure it's good, and the fruits of their labor are showing with great shows and great sales numbers.

Past wrote:
Any particular reason Studio Pierrot is not on the list?

Not putting Pierrot on that list is like not putting Steven Spielberg on a list of favorite movie directors (even though I don't like Spielberg, myself).

I know Sad I said in an earlier post that it was my biggest oversight and that I'm slapping myself for it. When I was making up the list I was looking through my shelves, my MAL, and just general buzz I've picked up over the years and I just don't watch much of their stuff so it slipped my mind, but their resumè is undeniably amazing and full of classics. Yu Yu Hakusho, Flame of Recca, Key the Metal Idol, Urusei Yatsura, Fushigi Yugi, Bleach, Naruto, and the list just goes on. If the poll didn't have as many votes I'd start over and add in Pierrot and Oriental Light and Magic, but it's too late at this point. Someone could probably do "Favorite Show from Studio X" threads and do a Pierrot one, so that'd kind of make up for it.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote
Forgot about this topic. Hm.

Sanosuke_Inara wrote:

Anyway, kudos on this very interesting poll. Haven't really thought about it before, and it's pretty damn hard for me to decide on. In my top 20, I'd say Gonzo shows up more than anyone else, even though Ghibli does score a couple of them, one of them being my #1 favorite. Madhouse has 3 spots in my top 10, though one is 10 itself. And despite how much I love NT,HT(favorite series) it's damn near the only AIC show I've ever seen.
Cont.

Bones makes good stuff(and the best openings/endings), but the only series of theirs that I've seen in its entirety(or at least seen enough of to make have a good opinion on it) that I've seriously enjoyed was Xam'd(though there are a number of shows of their that I've seen some of and plan on buying due to interest, such as Dtb and E7, the latter of which I saw the movie for in theatres). I thought about Gainax for a second, but that thought quickly dissipated as they're not an impressive studio, tbh--only really good things they have are Evangelion and FLCL(and I can never forgive them for that shit Gurren Lagann. Evil or Very Mad ). I.G. has--up until Xillia--always done stuff for my Tales, so I've got mad respect for them, even without all the great shows they've made.

But in the end, despite some absolutely incredible shows(some of which are my favorites, and others I just have a lot of respect for) being made by other companies, overall, Gonzo and Ghibli reign supreme.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:44 am Reply with quote
I decided to cast my vote and it went to P.A. Works.

It was an extra-ordinarily difficult choice, too, because as I stated earlier, all studios have their strengths and weakness.

Despite my vote, I'm putting KyoAni in the HoF category, which allows a second vote but outside those listed. This way, I can cheat the system.
Twisted Evil

Why P.A. Works? Well, right off the bat, they just seem to be everywhere I want to be. Most of the series I've been enjoying lately seem to be stamped with this studio. This means they're obviously good enough to stand in while those other studios just take their sweet time getting stuff done.
Wink

Runner up: Production IG. Again, noteworthy for its noticeable name in newer series.

Now, since this was a favorite, here's the least favorite: Xebec. I find their work to be of less quality than most. A quick look through their catalog at titles stamped with "Animation Production" and the proof all but falls into your lap.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Now, since this was a favorite, here's the least favorite: Xebec. I find their work to be of less quality than most. A quick look through their catalog at titles stamped with "Animation Production" and the proof all but falls into your lap.

Yeah, even their larger budget productions, like Rin only have average animation quality, while they're run-of-the-mill stuff is often downright shoddy.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
You completely missed Studio Nue who produced

Chogattai Majutsu Robot Ginguiser
Chōdenji Robo Combattler V
Uchū Majin Daikengō
Space Battleship Yamato
Space Battleship Yamato II
Arcadia of My Youth
The Super Dimension Fortress Macross
Crusher Joe
Dirty Pair
Super Dimension Century Orguss
Macross: Do You Remember Love?
The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012
The Vision of Escaflowne
Macross Plus
Macross 7
Macross Dynamite 7
Macross Zero
Macross Frontier
Armored Core series
Infinite Space

I am a big fan of Macross, so not having the studio that did all of that, Escaflowne, and Dirty Pair on the list? The Shame!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3