• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Speeds Up Bleach, One Piece's Digital Manga Releases

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:47 am Reply with quote
Now add in accelerated releases for ALL manga and add in also simultaneous releases in both Japanese and English, and add in no pesky DRM/exclusivity formats, and i'd be glad to buy into this. Otherwise, it's just slowly not wanting me to support e-books as a whole.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:56 am Reply with quote
the "No DRM" would be impossible. Because someone would buy one coy and put it up on a torrent site so they couldn't do that. It's amazing they're even doing a digital copy at all.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote
As a fan of some of these series I appreciate the effort from Viz's part and try to support them with my money, but fact of the matter is manga scanlation sites keep growing in popularity and, if you're member of a particular fandom, it does you no favors to stay tuned exclusively to the American release schedule for any given series. The way plot developments travel in the Internet, it simply behooves fans to keep up with the admittedly bastardized translations of the latest chapters if they want some part in the conversation.

I am frankly speechless at how, me being right now in Japan, I can get the latest chapters of the hottest series all (yeah, poorly) translated in English almost a full week before seeing the magazine itself anywhere. If there's a solution that keeps every side of this debate happy, I cannot conceive it at all.
Genet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Now add in accelerated releases for ALL manga and add in also simultaneous releases in both Japanese and English, and add in no pesky DRM/exclusivity formats, and i'd be glad to buy into this. Otherwise, it's just slowly not wanting me to support e-books as a whole.

I've heard that Japan is kind of reluctant to get onboard with the whole e-books thing, and that the Japanese companies are the ones that push for DRM more than the English translation companies, but I don't know how true this is.

I don't like the thought of e-manga replacing print books, though. I can't stare at a screen for hours reading manga- it's hell on my eyes Sad

I'd be really interested, though, in digital copies of Japanese manga so I can use them to make translations for personal use. I don't like bending the book and ruining it when I have to leave it open. Erk.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Dad gum it, I clicked on the article thinking OMG there finally gonna speed up the Bleach Manga release in the U.S. But its just the digital releases.....Darn it VIZ, why can't u do a speed up for the Physical copies like you have for Naruto & One Piece in the past!
YuYuUrameshi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Dad gum it, I clicked on the article thinking OMG there finally gonna speed up the Bleach Manga release in the U.S. But its just the digital releases.....Darn it VIZ, why can't u do a speed up for the Physical copies like you have for Naruto & One Piece in the past!

That's what I thought it meant too. Didn't the NY Times have a list that said Bleach was the number two in sales in the US? And it's still so far behind...
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:22 pm Reply with quote
YuYuUrameshi wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

That's what I thought it meant too. Didn't the NY Times have a list that said Bleach was the number two in sales in the US? And it's still so far behind...

Yeah, Although I can kind of understand, Bleach is the only long running shonen VIZ still has its anime counterpart on a widly avalible network (CN/AS) so I guess being slow & milking it makes sense to a point. But it does irk me that we are about what 16/17 volumes behind the JP release. With any luck (& enough fan demand) though maybe VIZ will eventually do a speed up of Bleach's manga. I hope.
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

Bleach could be next in line. It's great to be able to be caught up, but many collectors will be overwhelmed and won' be able to afford it, with 4 vols a month like what was done with OP and NARUTO. But i think one vol a month is fast and fair.
R.G.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Me, I can hardly wait 'til they put up Fullmetal Alchemist.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
i mistakenly read this, and assumed that Shueisha told Tite Kubo to cut the shit, and get to the point.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:

Viz probably won't because Square Enix is releasing it online.
KH1992

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:27 am Reply with quote
I think Viz needs to focus on the anime. Seriously, the english dub is less than 120 episodes from the japanese version. What anime is that far behind unless there problems holding it back from airing(like Naruto Shippudden). Viz releases doubles episodes of Naruto every saturday on Toonami then go back to 1 episode the next week, but for Bleach, whenever it does double episodes, after it, Bleach is put on hiatus. I don't see how the voices for Naruto can be over 20 episodes ahead, but so Bleach, voicing the anime is only 10 episodes ahead of when it airs on tv. Viz needs to fix that.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:41 am Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
As a fan of some of these series I appreciate the effort from Viz's part and try to support them with my money, but fact of the matter is manga scanlation sites keep growing in popularity and, if you're member of a particular fandom, it does you no favors to stay tuned exclusively to the American release schedule for any given series. The way plot developments travel in the Internet, it simply behooves fans to keep up with the admittedly bastardized translations of the latest chapters if they want some part in the conversation.
There are series that are released by English companies that the scanlators won't touch. Like Gantz among others. But your point is dead on. I'd be all willing to pay X amount of dollars per month for fresh manga from Japan. The technology is there for same day release and I'm all for it. Hell that type of service might cause me to consume more manga than I already do.
R.G.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:37 am Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
R.G. wrote:

Viz probably won't because Square Enix is releasing it online.

Isn't the Square Enix version in japanese?

If not, why would SE allow Viz to publish the FMA manga?
PBsallad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote
It's in English, they have other series up there too.

I guess Square just wanted the digital rights for themselves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2