• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - ComiPo!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chivonne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
OMG I LOVE YOU JASON THOMPSON. That comic was so awesome. I laughed several times, especially at the "OBJECTION" part. You are a genius.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I played around with the demo mode on my sister's computer (because couldn't get the program to open on my Linux). It's sorta compelling in the way a new toy is, and you find you've spent an hour or so just messing around with the various aspects, and creating little comics. And I had a lot of fun doing it, but after a while it felt kinda pointless.

I realized though that the character models and all the designs are more of a hindrance then a help to me. The limited aspects of it, mean you have to tell the story around the models they give you instead of using the models to tell the story. And while you might be able to get by using aspects of it to tell little stories, anything beyond a very basic slice-of-life thing isn't really feasible.

And it took so darn long for me to get the little hand gestures right, I think I'm better off with my mediocre drawing abilities.

Though I do like your comic, seems like you had a lot of fun with it. And love the little advertisement for the CBLDF.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I hope this article racks up a lot of hits and comments, because this was just too awesome. Laughed out loud embarrassingly enough to come back to finishing this in my dorm room, hah. Laughing If I wasn't a Mac owner, this program could be a potential distractor for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that if you want to play around with pre-rendered stuffs, you can do worse than MikuMikuDance. It's all free, the community is gigantic, thus tons of UGC and you do videos as well as stills.
Botan24

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:

I realized though that the character models and all the designs are more of a hindrance then a help to me. The limited aspects of it, mean you have to tell the story around the models they give you instead of using the models to tell the story. And while you might be able to get by using aspects of it to tell little stories, anything beyond a very basic slice-of-life thing isn't really feasible.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Don't like the idea of only being able to use preset models, right down to poses and everything. Psh, give me freehand any day.

Quote:
I borrowed a friend's PC, since the program isn't available for Mac...

In any event, there's this. No love for Mac means no purchase from me.

Lastly, I did thoroughly enjoy the comic. Did you bring lollipops and gum? Laughing
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry but Nanoha is apparently moe? I thought it went against that. Girls that kick ass and take names is moe? Huh. Guess you learn something new everyday. I broke out laughing at the end, because y'know, that's true. I'm suprised that my copy of Sakura Wars didn't get held by Customs.

As for the program, I probably be staying away as I prefer to use my own materials instead of pre-built.
Nineofclubs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
nice gunslinger girls reference i was laughing so hard.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
This is one of those things that is both funny and sad at the same time. I actually wouldn't mind helping out the CBLDF after I graduate from law school.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
HOURS LATER:
"What's going on? How long are they going to keep me in here?"

::notices the random tissue box underneath the table::

Bwahaha! Well done.
masterzephyr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I nearly died laughing at the Doctor Who reference. A sonic screwdriver would have helped his chances against the Canadian Law Enforcement, even if it diminished the need for the "moe" rescue. Laughing
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Uhhhhhh...

I'm not the donating kind of guy. I'm more into things like Rational Selfishness. But I donate to the CBLDF every year, because I believe in the First Amendment and I don't want my stash of Nanoha doujin to get me arrested in Canada. (Yuri only. Okay, there is some futa too. But no loli! I do have standards.) So seriously, go and donate to the CBLDF. The lolis will thank you.

On a side note, I've always preferred the Dream Cycle to the Mythos, and The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath is my favorite Lovecraft story. So I'll consider your proposal. I probably won't actually do anything about it, but I'll consider it.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
[On a side note, I've always preferred the Dream Cycle to the Mythos, and The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath is my favorite Lovecraft story.

Mine too. Have you seen this?

I might do another ComiPo! comic at some point. Congrats on donating to the CBLDF! They're awesome folks!
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:10 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
I played around with the demo mode on my sister's computer (because couldn't get the program to open on my Linux). It's sorta compelling in the way a new toy is, and you find you've spent an hour or so just messing around with the various aspects, and creating little comics. And I had a lot of fun doing it, but after a while it felt kinda pointless.

And it took so darn long for me to get the little hand gestures right, I think I'm better off with my mediocre drawing abilities.

Though I do like your comic, seems like you had a lot of fun with it. And love the little advertisement for the CBLDF.

The hand gestures were definitely a little hard -- the ability to change hands but not adjust the wrists led to some odd positions.

Apparently they're going to be adding the "import your own 3D models" feature from the Japanese in an update to the English version, and also doing free & paid updates with more items, backgrounds, characters, etc. I don't what's going to be in the updates since I haven't seen 'em, but some people on the ComiPo! facebook page seem to have the Japanese version and are playing around with a greater variety of character models & such than are available in the English version right now. I also hope they come out with a Mac version, of course.

Last edited by ptolemy18 on Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:13 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
I'm sorry but Nanoha is apparently moe? I thought it went against that. Girls that kick ass and take names is moe? Huh. Guess you learn something new everyday. I broke out laughing at the end, because y'know, that's true. I'm suprised that my copy of Sakura Wars didn't get held by Customs.

Did you hear about the person who got stopped by Canadian customs for carrying a copy of Tokyo Boys and Girls? Seriously. Not a joke.

Re: moe, it's not the ass-kicking that's moe. It's the sweet gentleness that's invariably underneath. -_- Unless you're defining 'moe' as a general 'fandom love' feeling, like they do in Japan, where you can say things like 'train moe'. Or... maybe the guy in the comic just doesn't know what moe means because he's new to anime! Yeah! That's it! That's my final excuse!
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:19 am Reply with quote
Heh this really is just a toy to mess with. I've been thinking of trying out Custom Girl 3D for stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2