• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: MM! Sub.DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:57 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first half of the series quite a bit. Sado had potential as an unassuming hero with strong morals (when it didn't involve S&M stuff) who could take a beating. His stand against the boxer was impressive and feelings towards kissing during the mock wedding was respectable. Then it all goes down hill after that. I was so hoping the super pervert part would just be a dream, but the two times they did it was two times too many. Too bad, the entire series should have been fun.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:24 am Reply with quote
Take it as it is, but I enjoyed this show very much. I really enjoyed how the back story of Yuno was really believable and how Sado approaches that bit of info is commendable and I found it nice character development.

I got a lot out of MM! so I'm naturally disagree with some of the things said in this review.
consignia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:33 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I enjoyed the first half of the series quite a bit. Sado had potential as an unassuming hero with strong morals (when it didn't involve S&M stuff) who could take a beating. His stand against the boxer was impressive and feelings towards kissing during the mock wedding was respectable. Then it all goes down hill after that. I was so hoping the super pervert part would just be a dream, but the two times they did it was two times too many. Too bad, the entire series should have been fun.

Emerje

Completely agree, the first chunk was really promising. I mildly enjoyed the rest of it, but it just got too silly after perversion power stuff appeared.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:00 am Reply with quote
Carl really should not be reviewing these types of shows, though I suspect he is eager to when given the chance, since there's only one ANN review per title. It's really a disservice to fans of the genre and target audience.

Quote:
So where is the substance in all of this? Put simply: In a different show. Hell, the series doesn't even bother to ask why Isurugi started the Second Volunteer Club in the first place

Actually it did, if you paid attention to her past, much like how it explains how Yuno became the way she is (who's arc/relationship with Sado I enjoyed the most)

Quote:
or to explain why she insists she's a god. It doesn't delve into her or Sado's pasts and it never acknowledges the dark side of perversion.

So basically you're docking it because it doesn't conform to your ideology?

Quote:
It doesn't even have a proper ending. Though how could it, not having a proper plot. Implicit in the series' treatment of perversion is a lesson about the ubiquity and necessity of accepting sexual kinks (lolicon, 2D-obsession, sadism, masochism, incest, cross-dressing: everyone in MM! is a pervert and is happiest when they embrace it),

Nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, it's part of the fun of the show.

Quote:
but that hardly counts as an intellectual bent. But, hey, who was expecting one anyway?

Exactly right, so why review and rate it as if you were expecting one?

Quote:
and nine mini-episodes, the purpose of which, apparently, is to beef up the series' surprisingly tame fan-service.

Explicit humor aside, the fan service was almost non-existent, contrary to the review. Even those mini-eps were relatively tame. I don't recall any nudity and there's nothing more explicit than Sado's own masochism
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:54 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
It's really a disservice to fans of the genre and target audience.

How so? If you've really taken the time to understand reviewers' preferences of the titles they've reviewed in the past, it's not difficult to figure out how each would have added their opinion.

It's nice to know a review is pretty much on par with the feeling I had by looking at the character design and series name. I won't buy it, but if it's ever made on a streaming site, I may just take a glance at it just to see for myself how ridiculous it can get.

After all, I'm a proud badge wearer of Green Green, so the bar's pretty easy to adjust.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:58 am Reply with quote
well actually i'm ok with series really was sounded so worth it give wish it would been more interesting if got dub version?

who knows if sentai or someone reading please re-release for a dub version to watch.
J3N0V4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:59 am Reply with quote
The novels flesh out the reasoning behind everything, to be honest the anime doesn't even gloss over half the content and was more or less Xebec making a bet with itself over how many episodes they can go without a single panty shot, they normally can't make it through the opening and for them to last until the last episode deserves so form of award or international acknowledgement. MM was not animated from the plot though even if it's better in the novels that doesn't mean it's good, the only thing good about the writting was the parody's it let loose. Gotta say though no matter what you say about it, the opening and ending themes are bloody awesome, More More lovers is some of the best dance coordination in years QED
geishageek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:10 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

After all, I'm a proud badge wearer of Green Green, so the bar's pretty easy to adjust.

Here, here! I too an a fellow fan of Green Green so this how was golden for me. I never felt like it was a chore to watch. I found the show very enjoyable and will be purchasing this set in the near future.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:03 am Reply with quote
The humor sounds like something that would have me laughing a lot but hearing that it gets serious is a bummer. I love serious shows but when echhi comedies go serious it's usually really poorly executed and stops a series from delivering more of what it's good at in exchange for high amounts of stuff that it totally sucks at doing well.

I wonder how MM! fares as far as the ratio of playing to its strengths vs playing to its weaknesses.
consignia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
The humor sounds like something that would have me laughing a lot but hearing that it gets serious is a bummer. I love serious shows but when echhi comedies go serious it's usually really poorly executed and stops a series from delivering more of what it's good at in exchange for high amounts of stuff that it totally sucks at doing well.

It's the other way around. It's starts off silly, has a mildly serious bit, then goes into the deep end of silliness, and never really comes back.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote
I think people are forgetting that the author past away leaving the original work unfinished indefinitely...

All in all, for what this series had to work with I enjoyed it a lot more than I had expected to. It had a lot of promise and its sad to see this one kick the bucket. It had decent comedy and Mio was a great character all around.
Kyubey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I thought it was good apart from all the DBZ referencing and the loli genius girl, whom I hated, and that it didn't end properly but I'm used to that with anime.
Kyubey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:16 pm Reply with quote
KLAC wrote:
well actually i'm ok with series really was sounded so worth it give wish it would been more interesting if got dub version?

who knows if sentai or someone reading please re-release for a dub version to watch.

What language did you want it dubbed in? Razz
Araki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see a generic piece of crap like this getting what it deserves!

configspace wrote:
Carl really should not be reviewing these types of shows, though I suspect he is eager to when given the chance, since there's only one ANN review per title. It's really a disservice to fans of the genre and target audience.

Yeah, give it to a brainless fan of the genre so he can drool all over it.. Rolling Eyes
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, give it to a brainless fan of the genre so he can drool all over it..

Well giving it to a fan of the genre or even someone without a chip on their shoulder against this type of show would result in a review that informs other fans of the genre how well this anime stands with the consideration of the genre itself being enjoyable.

At a glance I agree with the rating of the show but the review itself seems rather harsh on the ecchi, brainless bits of an anime that was supposed to be ecchi and brainless entertainment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2