• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon Considering $5 Increase

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:43 pm Reply with quote
i know they're a big con, but di they really think they can pull in that kind of talent? that's some real A list stuff there.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Unless we're talking about someone - like Miyazaki - who basically does not do public appearances as a matter of principle, all this question really comes down to is appearance fees.

Say, ten thousand pre-regs, times five dollars, that's fifty thousand right there. Which does not sound too unreasonable as the fee someone of the caliber they could be thinking of would request for what would turn out to be a half-hour or hour-long Q&A session. And that's not even taking into account the money Otakon may be willing to spend out of their budget, since a Big Name like that would drive up walk-in attendance lots.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bnewhall

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I think that most celebrities are more concerned with the amount being raised to bring them over, rather than the relative popularity of the event. If someone paid you $50,000 to spend a day chatting with five people in Akron, Ohio, would you do it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime
Dachande

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Man, screw all those other people, bring Takashi Miike over instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Proz512

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Dachande wrote:
Man, screw all those other people, bring Takashi Miike over instead.

Now THAT would be worth the all the $$$ to meet him.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
bnewhall wrote:
Yeah, I think that most celebrities are more concerned with the amount being raised to bring them over, rather than the relative popularity of the event. If someone paid you $50,000 to spend a day chatting with five people in Akron, Ohio, would you do it?

Well knowning Jet Li's good nature, he might do it for free and donate all the money to the Asian Tsunami Disaster, which is a good cause. Even though he's anime-unrelated, I would rather meet him than any other lesser known japanese staff. Plus Jet kick ass.

I could care less about meeting some japanese voice actor/ actress or a famous director. I don't see what's so special about them. Imagine showinig a picture of you and some japanees voice actor to all your nerdy friends and thinkin you're the shit. That's just so "otaku".
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:06 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
I could care less about meeting some japanese voice actor/ actress or a famous director. I don't see what's so special about them. Imagine showinig a picture of you and some japanees voice actor to all your nerdy friends and thinkin you're the shit. That's just so "otaku".

Why do you think "Inside the Actors Studio" has been on for over 10 years? Is it because thespians are given helpful advice? No. It's because you get a glimpse of how the industry runs, what makes these people tick, and sometimes, YOU are even able to ask questions.

I've never been to a con, and I know the answer. Hell, I'm even interested in how cartoons and voice acting works.

Of course, this, once again, is news for news' sake. A $5 increase isn't going to kill anyone (at least not a lot) Just remember to pre-reg.
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Even mentioning the name of Miyazaki was silly, given his publically recorded distatse for fandom (He has made mention of being disheartned that grown adults spend so much time reading manga in Japan, so I could only imagine his reaction at being stranded in a room full of socially awkward otaku.), so do you REALLY think he'll be making appearances at an America con for a measly 50,000 bucks?

Because I can assure you this man is not hurting for money.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

Why do you think "Inside the Actors Studio" has been on for over 10 years? Is it because thespians are given helpful advice? No. It's because you get a glimpse of how the industry runs, what makes these people tick, and sometimes, YOU are even able to ask questions.

I've never been to a con, and I know the answer. Hell, I'm even interested in how cartoons and voice acting works.

Of course, this, once again, is news for news' sake. A $5 increase isn't going to kill anyone (at least not a lot) Just remember to pre-reg.

Yeah, but I rather hear Jet talk about his next movie or project than to hear some japanese actor who can barely speak english to tell me how they train for voice actoring or how they got the role. I'm not a sub type person too, I prefer dub.

Or I can just watch my anime dvd, they usually have extra behind the scene look at how the anime is put together. At least you can see for yourself.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:13 pm Reply with quote
All info is located on the Otakon message boards: http://board.otakon.com/

Ranmah

Last edited by Ranmah on Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I never said it had to be a Japanese voice actor. ADV's talent pool roams the con scene constantly.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:04 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

Um, yeah. And people going crazy over getting photos taken with movie stars or whatever in Hollywood isn't geeky? *rolls eyes* Sheesh, let people have what they want. Personally, I have a framed photo of myself cosplaying a character from a series with that series' Japanese director (Ilpalazzo and Nabeshin, respectively), and I'm darned proud of it. And even my friends who aren't into anime so much respect the principle of the thing.

In other words, yes, it *is* a big deal for a fan of the genre to have a big name as a guest. Just like it'd be a big deal for a fan of Hollywood movies to attend an event and meet famous stars/directors from that.
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

Um, yeah. And people going crazy over getting photos taken with movie stars or whatever in Hollywood isn't geeky? *rolls eyes*

Actually it isn't.

Losing it because you meet a celebrity, while maybe frowned upon by some, is considered to be socially acceptable to a degree.

Fandom of any sort, on the other hand, is always going to be niche (fans themselves seem to be the last people to get this, though). The general populace would understand going crazy if you met Brad Pitt, but if you flipped out over meeting a voice actor while dressed as a fictional character, most people are going to at the very least look at you funny, and worst possibly point and laugh.

Sad but true. Its all a matter of sociological perception, and anime fans, comic fans, (insert fanatic here) are ALWAYS going to get the short end of the stick.
Toboe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:37 am Reply with quote
sinistertaco wrote:
Even mentioning the name of Miyazaki was silly, given his publically recorded distatse for fandom (He has made mention of being disheartned that grown adults spend so much time reading manga in Japan, so I could only imagine his reaction at being stranded in a room full of socially awkward otaku.), so do you REALLY think he'll be making appearances at an America con for a measly 50,000 bucks?

Because I can assure you this man is not hurting for money.

Yeah, mentioning Miyazaki was dumb. No way would he show up at an anime convention; he doesn't consider his work to be 'anime' and has said several times that he disproves of the way anime has taken shape over the years. Takahashi wouldn't come either unless someone like Viz ponied up a high six figures or so (like they did at SDCC a few years back) ; furthermore for all of the big-name Japanese guests, it's gonna cost a hell of a lot more than 50 large to bring them over for the whole weekend and put them up. They can't just come for an hour. These people are millionaires, some of the richest people in Japan. They won't do it. 50k might seem like a lot to us but it's absolute peanuts to everyone on that list.

As for the American guests (like Chan or Li) I could see 50k being enough for an appearance fee for like an hour or two on a Saturday but appearing at cons isn't something big-name celebs do. It has a stigma, like they need the work. The only reason any of them show up at San Diego Comicon is because they're contractually obligated to promote the films they're pimping at that show. When they're done selling the movie for 15 minutes on stage to a bunch of nerds, they hightail it out of there. I don't think Chan OR Li would risk the career stigma of having shown up at an anime convention.
Himemiya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
There's a cap on attendance this year, so walk-ins wouldn't be too insane.

I think the people they mentioned were not choices, but "along the lines of".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2