• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Avec-quois Les Anglais

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Must have fall releases? Honestly, I can't find much of anything I'm interested on the schedule. K-On! volume 4 on Blu-Ray is the only thing I'm buying for sure. Maybe I'll also buy the Haruhi Suzumiya movie, though I'm not in that much of a rush to get it seeing as I already have the Japanese Blu-Ray of it. The biggest anime series I'm waiting to buy at the moment is A Certain Scientific Railgun, but I don't think that's getting a release until 2012.

Manga-wise, I'll pick up a few volumes of series I already collect here and there, but I don't anticipate picking up anything new unless something captures my fancy. I enjoy Sailor Moon, but I'm not that motivated to buy the whole manga over again as I already have all of it (including Sailor V) in French and most of it in Japanese.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I think it goes to show how disinterested I am in the R1 market releases that the only upcoming release I'm waiting for is the 3rd Utena boxset -- which will replace my CPM box. And Kuragehime doesn't have a date yet. If it weren't for the worsening exchange rate, I probably would be pre-ordering the Fate/Zero Blurays.

And the question about French versions of anime/manga makes me retroactively kick myself for quitting French after grade 9. The English manga market is years behind the French.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
The problem with doing a pre-order to get a print manga title as suggested is how many pre-orders make it worth the money to spend having it printed? A 100, a 1,000, or a 100,000? Despite what people think, printing (even in black and white) isn't that cheap, there are other costs besides the cost of ink (offsetting, binding, shipping, etc). How many people in the end would actually care enough to not only pay but know to pre-order this item to get it in print?

I do hope print on demand becomes a more feasible option, as I too like to own actual physical copies of my manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Siren Visual just released Dennou Coil today (they're releasing part 2 in December)! Razz I'm really excited about that, I'm also excited about the upcoming Mardock Scramble movie, Loups-Garous, Coicent/Five Numbers set, the blu-ray release of Five Centimeters per Second (which'll include She and Her Cat and Voices from a Distant Star two Shinkai works I've yet to see!), and the recently released second half of Katanagatari!
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Stuff I'm looking forward to coming out (before the year ends) or came out recently: Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Spice and Wolf S2, Utena boxset 3, Oreimo, Darker than Black S2, Hetalia movie, original Gundam series, Tales of the Abyss, Chaos Head

I admit it's not much to what it used to be, but my wallet sure appreciates the easing up. Right now, I'm watching the crap out of my Community Season 2 boxset (why does this show have so low ratings?! No current comedy can even compare to this! Come on, people!)

Next year will have more stuff I'm looking forward to: Madoka, "ef" series, Nichijou, Steins Gate, Deadman Wonderland, and it'd be ridiculous if FUNimation doesn't have Index/Railgun, Shakugan no Shana 3, original Tenchi, Haibane Renmei, etc. ready by then.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Well for french and other speaking audiences, that's what fansubs for!

As a collector, you are totally willing to pay three times for something just because. But you should still complain. Cause technically that complaint is the reason someone else is not buying their product. I'm guessing if there's a close complaint to sale ratio they can consider that lost profit and work to include it.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:01 am Reply with quote
I actually would love to see French dubs/subs on more R1 releases. There are pockets of Francophones all over New England and presumably in other areas of the US near Canada. It surprises me a bit that it isn't part of the regular licensing process for Canadian distribution, what with that being a bilingual country and all. (And dorkily enough, I would have loved a French track on Le Chevalier D'Eon, simply because, well, I'm the kind of person who likes that sort of thing.) Spanish subs would make sense too, now that I think of it.

I do end up double and triple buying things, sometimes in payment of my fansub debt from college, but more often to get English versions that I can lend to my sisters (or simply not have to translate for them) of manga I have in French and Italian. In the case of Sailor Moon, I have the French editions, the Mixx editions, and am getting the Kodansha editions as well because the other two do not hold up well. It's annoying, but my own laziness in part.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:39 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
(And dorkily enough, I would have loved a French track on Le Chevalier D'Eon, simply because, well, I'm the kind of person who likes that sort of thing.)

The Kaze release of Le Chevalier D'Eon has a French dub. It's also on a huge discount right now with limited quantities, so this is the time to get it.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:43 am Reply with quote
I should also point out that very rarely do shonen manga outside of Shonen Jump actually do this anymore. Shonen Sunday hasn't had an anime that's gone past 100 continual episodes since Zatch Bell. There only long running anime series left is Detective Conan. The last big series Shonen Sunday had was Major which was released in seasons much like an American show.

Shonen Magazine's Fairy Tail (which is at episode 98) is going to be it's first 100+ anime since Kindaichi Case File which came out 12 years before the Fairy Tail anime. This is not counting Hajime no Ippo which got a 76 episode anime than later a 26 episode anime. Fairy Tail was supposed to go only 48 but its popularity caused them to keep going (this is the reason why the anime removes all mention of Gildartz, he was never supposed to appear in the anime).
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
And the question about French versions of anime/manga makes me retroactively kick myself for quitting French after grade 9. The English manga market is years behind the French.

And I'm kicking myself for not switching from Mandarin to Japanese when I was in the ninth grade. The Japanese manga market is years ahead of everybody else.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
My highly anticipated fall releases aren't going to be anime or manga. It's video games. With things like Uncharted 3 and Batman: Arkham City coming out, my priorities are elsewhere.

Trigun: Badlands Rumble just showed up at my place, so that anticipated DVD is checked off the list. So it is basically down to whenever Dark Horse decides to actually send out the next volume of Berserk, which was supposed to be out a few days ago.
Hoofbites

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
The question about French subtitles got me thinking: Why not give consumers an SDH (or "dubtitles") option in addition to the "straight" translation? I'm sure there are people who like to watch the dub but have trouble hearing or understanding the dialogue. (I am more of a reading thinker than an auditory thinker, so I can empathize.)

As for fall releases, what the hell happened to Turn A Gundam? I remember Bandai making that announcement. I just hope they don't repeatedly put it on the back burner and end up never releasing it at all.
clipeuh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
(And dorkily enough, I would have loved a French track on Le Chevalier D'Eon, simply because, well, I'm the kind of person who likes that sort of thing.)

The Kaze release of Le Chevalier D'Eon has a French dub. It's also on a huge discount right now with limited quantities, so this is the time to get it.

The highly ironic thing about this dub is that it was produced in Quebec by a French-Canadian studio.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
Hoofbites wrote:
The question about French subtitles got me thinking: Why not give consumers an SDH (or "dubtitles") option in addition to the "straight" translation? I'm sure there are people who like to watch the dub but have trouble hearing or understanding the dialogue. (I am more of a reading thinker than an auditory thinker, so I can empathize.)

Funimation used to have Dubtitles but alot of fans complained about the "confusion" of having three different subtitles so they dropped them.

I myself, am a hard of hearing customer who loves watching dubs, but 80% of the time I can not understand what is said. << I would love to have them have SDH and it wouldn't be so hard for their popular titles like FMA since it aired on cartoon network and has closed caption...but their dvds do not. In fact....Funimation's blurays FORBID subtitles to be turned on for the dub tracks, so it's leaving out the hard of hearing customers even more. For this reason, I boycott buying anything bluray.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:08 am Reply with quote
Is it strange that I remember that K'ool-Aid commercial? Laughing

Big Hed wrote:
PlatinumHawke wrote:

And I'm kicking myself for not switching from Mandarin to Japanese when I was in the ninth grade.

Relax. That'll serve ya better when the Chinese businesses take over the world, sooner rather than later. Even the Japanese school system is considering teaching the Chinese language. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2