• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime for Underdeveloped Nations

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:57 pm Reply with quote
that's right, cause i'm sure kids in poverty stricken countries are more worried about where they'll get their next Inuyasha fix.
heyyu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure about Africa, but I know anime is extremely popular throughout Asia and South America and even in the Middle East (Captain Tsubasa is one of the most-watched shows).

And man, even people in poor countries need entertainment once in awhile...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, Voltes V did inspire the Filipino revolution against the Marcos dictatorship...
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:27 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
that's right, cause i'm sure kids in poverty stricken countries are more worried about where they'll get their next Inuyasha fix.

We're not talking Ethiopia kind of poor here.

We're talking about countries where people have food, electricity, running water and television, but not enough finances to warrant licensing of expensive foreign TV series.

-t
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:55 pm Reply with quote
heyyu wrote:
Captain Tsubasa is one of the most-watched shows

Hmm, somehow I'm not surprised to hear that, for many Middle Eastern countries have solid soccer teams, and none of Youichi TAKAHASHI's manga work has bishoujo with skimpy clothings.... Anime smile + sweatdrop
(None of them is important to the story either)

Beatdigga wrote:
Well, Voltes V did inspire the Filipino revolution against the Marcos dictatorship...

No kidding. Shocked Can you elaborate how it happened? Any idea, A7?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:16 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

No kidding. Shocked Can you elaborate how it happened? Any idea, A7?

The story goes that Voltes V was among the most popular shows in the late 70's in the Phillipines, alongside other super robot anime like Mazinger Z. However, President Ferdinand Marcos, then the dictator of the Philipines, banned all super robot anime from airing, citing violence in children.

Many believed Marcos noticed, and started to take notice at the underlying message in Voltes V, a revolution against an unjust dictatorship, and that Marcos was afraid the children would grow into adults that would reject his dictatorship. Many dissasitified youths supposedly looked to the heroes of Voltes V as an inspiration against their own dictator, and he was finally overthrown in 1986.

About 15 years later, Filipino televison finally showed the last 20 episodes of Voltes that were cancelled due to Marcos.

Now I'm not saying Inu-Yasha is about to cause the collapse of terrorist groups, but it is a testament to what anime and entertainment in general is capable of.
AchtungAffen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:32 am Reply with quote
I'd like em to finance some broadcast in Latin America and fight the evil powers of Turner Inc with their evil dub culture which screwed my ex-most beloved anime channel - Locomotion. Only if it would be a sub channel again, a dream come true t'would be.
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:40 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
v1cious wrote:

We're not talking Ethiopia kind of poor here.

We're talking about countries where people have food, electricity, running water and television, but not enough finances to warrant licensing of expensive foreign TV series.

-t

Still seems rather self serving though. America gets blamed for cultural imperialism because their shows are so far reaching-- and there the government isn't really involved except on VOA.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:55 am Reply with quote
AnimeHeretic wrote:
Still seems rather self serving though. America gets blamed for cultural imperialism because their shows are so far reaching-- and there the government isn't really involved except on VOA.

Oh, it's completely self serving, I nevermeant to imply otherwise....

But I didn't think it was fair to imply that it was completely ridiculous....

-t
heyyu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:51 am Reply with quote
AnimeHeretic wrote:

Yeah, but Japan doesn't have the international sway that America has, and probably never will. Right or wrong, America is the big enchilda, the world's lone superpower. And so people fear the might of America, and anything that's associated with America, including something as trivial as American movies, will get looked upon with disdain and suspicion.

If Japan was the world's lone superpower like America, then the same thing would apply to Japan. But as it is right now, I don't think many countries are scared of Japan's big scary anime shows coming in and taking over their country.

Americans can complain about it, but fair or not, when people see America whining, it's like watching Bill Gates whine. His beef might be legitimate, but people are thinking, "Oh you're the richest guy in the world, shut up!" Right or wrong, it's the same with America, "Oh you're the most powerful country in the world, shut up!"

Now if America ends up like the UK, once powerful but not so much, then the criticism of being #1 in this world will stop...
kenshin77

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:04 am Reply with quote
AnimeHeretic wrote:

Well you know American Culture is everywhere. When I went to Singapore people were addicted to shows like American Idol, and American Sitcoms like "Friends", and "Will and Grace".

In the Philippines, there are channels dedicated to solely American TV that aired a year ago, and that does not include other channels that show American Reality shows.

My point is this, If America is going to swing around its culture around the world, why not have some variety, and let Japan sell its culture by promoting Anime.

OH, and American Companies are very powerful in promoting their shows on Foreign networks around the world, Animation studios can't always have people promote their shows in many countries it can get very expensive for them, So I think thats why they divert the marketing to the Japanese government.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:41 am Reply with quote
Taiwan is one market where Anime will do well. The average income is not that very high. I've never seen a fanbase so devoted to a particular title. One Piece is extremely popular in Taiwan. This is the uncut Japanese version with Chinese Dialogue and Subtitles. There aren't the stupid water guns or lollipops of the US version. Taiwanese fans give Japanese Seiyuus the same high status devotion as their counterparts in Japan.

Japanese products and TV are also very popular here in Taiwan.

Ranmah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AchtungAffen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:13 am Reply with quote
What do you mean by water guns and lollypops? Don't tell me there was digital censorship a-la Misato digital bikini in Eva on CN?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:52 am Reply with quote
AchtungAffen wrote:
What do you mean by water guns and lollypops? Don't tell me there was digital censorship a-la Misato digital bikini in Eva on CN?

Oh, it's FAR worse! Laughing
Aoi Tsumi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:18 am Reply with quote
I can't believe they're not considering South America.

Goddamnit, we're poor too! I swear to God we're poor! Anime cry
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2