• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Oishinbo

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
I have all 7 volumes and totally love every one of them.

My favorite is the sake volume since I know absolutely nothing about sake. After reading it, it actually made me go out and try some.

I am sad though as I recently went to a Book Off and they had an ENTIRE CASE that was filled to overflowing with untranslated Oishinbo manga. I remember holding a volume on cheese and lamenting that I couldn't read it. I almost bought it anyways just so I could look at the art and maybe figure out how to translate it.

So yeah, Viz, I would buy more, if you brought more over... Smile
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Haha, yeah, I'll probably never pick this up. It would just make me lament over the fact that while I love eating Japanese food, I hate preparing it. But that's the way I am with all foods. Could I learn something from these books? Quite likely. Would I put it into practice? Only when a stroke of inspiration kicks in, and those rarely last long.

I'm one of those people that just prefers to come home, take out whatever meal is in the fridge/freezer, heat it up in the microwave and eat. I'll occasionally make some chilis, soups, stir frys, salads (including sushi salad), or spaghetti, but it's only on the weekends and I always make a big batch so that I can eat it throughout the week. Getting me to cook is like pulling teeth.

I'd rather just eat out if I want some finely prepared food.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Ah, but they also give you a lot of the food's history and whatnot, or science behind why the food is prepared best "this way," which is what I like about it. I realize I can't recreate the dishes; I like all the educational information that comes with it.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
The only time I'd heard about "Oishinobo" was on the English language version of "Iron Chef,"when one of the chefs chosen to compete in Kitchen Stadium was featured in one of it's issues. I've never read really read the manga but from the sound of it,I like the way they depicted the visiting American chef. He wasn't a jerk as some manga would have portrayed him. I'd like to know which issue that was so I can keep a look out for it. I wish that more manga and anime treated their American characters with far more respect than they usually do.
I really respect "Oishinobo's" choice in not wallowing in pointless America-bashing and it's something I really appreciate.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Haha, yeah, I'll probably never pick this up. It would just make me lament over the fact that while I love eating Japanese food, I hate preparing it. But that's the way I am with all foods. Could I learn something from these books? Quite likely. Would I put it into practice? Only when a stroke of inspiration kicks in, and those rarely last long.

I'm one of those people that just prefers to come home, take out whatever meal is in the fridge/freezer, heat it up in the microwave and eat. I'll occasionally make some chilis, soups, stir frys, salads (including sushi salad), or spaghetti, but it's only on the weekends and I always make a big batch so that I can eat it throughout the week. Getting me to cook is like pulling teeth.

Heh. ; ) Yeah, I don't know if I would have enjoyed Oishinbo (or any food manga) as much before I learned to cook either. It's so much faster to eat out or just make some canned soup or macaroni & cheese... still, I like Dragon Ball and I don't know martial arts. -_-
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
OISHINBO <333 i saw yamaoka on ANN's page and flailed all over Anime hyper

I want to read all of it so bad. But my japanese vocabulary isn't nearly at any level to be able to understand it. Every time i go to book off or kinokuniya, i stare at all 100+ volumes and my friends won't let me buy all of them Sad I've seen some of the anime raw, and there are subs of 2 of the movies out there. I love it so much. I want more. I got Viz's releases as they came out and told everyone i knew to buy them. I wish there was more...
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
One of my absolute favorite manga - when each volume came out I wasted no time getting to the bookstore to pick it up. I'm a certified foodie and I found these volumes to be entertaining, and informative. I prepare Japanese dishes from time to time (I have made a few of the dishes in the manga and found them to be tasty) and the ways in which the manga dealt with such subjects as regional cuisine and how products are produced was fascinating.

@Kyokun - I too enjoyed the volume on sake, it's one of my favorite beverages, right up there with my favorite soft drink...Champagne.

My comprehension of written Japanese isn't as good as I would like, but I would pick up untranslated volumes, if I were to see any. Even better, if Vis were to publish more, they would certainly get my money.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I had Oishinbo in my "Culinary Manga" panel and was shocked when Viz picked it up, because it seemed like a bad idea, but also it was as if they's read my mind and made a licensing choice eerily based on the coinage of my brain. I bought some volumes twice in English as loaner copies and/or to pay tribute to Viz.

If I feel moe, I feel moe for Oishibo.

kyokun703 wrote:
I remember holding a volume on cheese and lamenting that I couldn't read it.

I bought the cheese volume... I'll probably never be able to read it.

willag wrote:
Getting me to cook is like pulling teeth.

Oishinbo isn't about getting you to cook, it's about getting you to eat. The characters mostly eat out at nice restaurants. It's more about food appreciation than preparation.
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
So yeah, Viz, I would buy more, if you brought more over... :)

SECONDED. I want the western food a la carte collections!

Yamaoka and Kaibara's fiery relationship puts the series over the top for me - I love it when the old man's arrogance and the kid's hot temper make sparks fly, and it's awesome that sometimes Yamaoka wins and dad has to grudgingly concede that his uncultured swine of a kid maybe has the occasional moment of clarity-- but sometimes Kaibara wins out and Yamaoka can only grind his teeth and resolve to be a better critic. Or... it's a draw!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
SECONDED. I want the western food a la carte collections!

Try Le Chef Cuisinier de L'Ambassadeur
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Note that the volumes seem to be chronological within themselves. And that Mangajin published the American sushi chef story way back when.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:

I am sad though as I recently went to a Book Off and they had an ENTIRE CASE that was filled to overflowing with untranslated Oishinbo manga. I remember holding a volume on cheese and lamenting that I couldn't read it. I almost bought it anyways just so I could look at the art and maybe figure out how to translate it.

Ha, I was going to bring up this story! I really need to buy the ones that are in English since I love food ever so much. Plus, they will be awesome next to Drops of God once they arrive.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Well,the "Westernized" Japanese and the way they're portrayed in "Oishinbo,"seems to remind me of the attitude some American anime fans have of American animation. They think it's beneath them to watch it and they think it's silly. I've always hated that attitude. Like great anime,there's also great American cartoons. I've enjoyed stuff like "Scooby-Doo,""Tom and Jerry,"and others like them. It's a ridiculous attitude and it needs to be condemned.
While on the same subject,why didn't "Oishinbo" have a plot like this,a well-known Japanese-born food critic and blogger returns to Japan after years in America. This person isn't like the other "Westernized" Japanese that this manga portrays. He or she has had exposure to other cuisines in the United States,including fast food. He/she had brought some American friends along with him/her to taste his/her native cuisine. Just one problem,he/she forgot how to use chopsticks!!!!! How will this all work out? I don't know but I wish that they had used this.
jennye

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:16 am Reply with quote
Oishinbo makes me so hungry!! It also makes me lament my vast culinary ignorance, the limited local availability of restaurants serving these yummy things, and my limited funds with which to flit about sampling them. On a happy note, it also inspired me to take notes and go out and buy some sake (in dark bottles, paper wrapping, or boxes so as to preserve the flavor's integrity from the light--I actually learned something! too bad the vendor didn't have it stored in a nice, cool, dark room, too), which I have been enjoying thoroughly.

Oishinbo teaches you to be more aware of your food, whether you're eating it or preparing it, and to appreciate everything that's gone into its arrival in your mouth. I've gotten a lot pickier about ingredients and less tolerant of processed food because of this series. I do hope Viz picks up more of them. I don't want to drool all over books I can't read. :P
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I forgot something. There is also a Japanese-born chef who now stars in an American version of a Japanese cooking competition show that became quite popular in this country if you get my meaning. I'd also like to know something. Which volume of "Oishinbo" has that American sushi chef? I'd really like to know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1