• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2011 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:55 pm Reply with quote
HOLY F@#KING S*(T FATE/ZERO IS HERE! Excellent animation, and the incantation at the end was EPIC! The only problem I have with the show so far is Kirei's voice actor. He has such a low voice that you wouldn't think it comes from the character.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote
From the few screenshots I've seen, Zero looks infinitely better than the Stay Night. Having read the novels, I can tell you the first half of volume 1 is basically a wall of exposition and setting out about over a dozen characters. By around episode 4 or 5 it'll ease off into a more action-centric plot style.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The only problem I have with the show so far is Kirei's voice actor. He has such a low voice that you wouldn't think it comes from the character.

That actor voiced Kotomine in FSN too. I actually agree that they could've found a different voice actor for a younger version of Kotomine. It sounded a bit weird. But, hey, we can't have a Typemoon series without Jouji Nakata.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm a pretty big Type-Moon fan, but I knew next to nothing about Fate/Zero going into this. I definitely enjoyed the first episode. While exposition heavy, I feel it's crucial to get to know the main Masters who will be involved in the Holy Grail War before the fighting starts. I found myself attached to Kiritsugu the most... but that may be because I've always liked the Einzbern mages the most.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
alot of good shows this season. For me, Fate/Zero is the best show this season.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Fate/Zero was quite boring for me honestly, but that's where I'll have to wait for it to get better. The animation is superb and I really like that but I just want the action already. The ending did get rid of the boring feel though and the ED song is just awesome.

On another note, it seems like there are many shows airing on the weekends, Horizon, C^3, and Fate/Zero to name a few.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm most looking forward to season 2 of Working!! It feels like a lot of people here are kinda looking past it due to the bigger shows like Fate/Zero and other things. But that's alright. I seem to have different tastes in anime than the average US anime fan.
Getsuga311

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
seems to be that Fate/Zero is a case of existing fans will love it and newcomers will OK it, so i might need to watch Fate/Stay Night now
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Getsuga311 wrote:
seems to be that Fate/Zero is a case of existing fans will love it and newcomers will OK it, so i might need to watch Fate/Stay Night now

I dunno, I've seen none of F/SN (just read up on it a little) and I still very much liked the first ep of F/Z.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, lets start rating an anime low since it actually takes time to set up the story.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Oh boy, lets start rating an anime low since it actually takes time to set up the story.

So far it's gotten universally high scores. Unless you're one of these people for whom anything less than an A+ is an F.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't consider a 2.5 out of 5 a high score Zac... but that's alright. I understood the reviewer's criticisms. Too much talk and not enough random fighting. Gotcha.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Edit: Never mind.

Anyway, I look forward to Hunter X Hunter. It look me quite some time to track down the Viz Media edition, but I finally did and really enjoyed the series. The song track for the first half of the series is great and really is stark contrast of the series later on, but early on it's pretty relevant. Going to be very blunt here to those who have never watched or read Hunter X Hunter, this series (not so much the anime) does tend to get more violent than typical Shonen Jump series.

Frankly, this doesn't bother me as much, but I figured I'd let anyone who hasn't heard of the series a fair warning.

But besides Hunter, there is also the second season of Bakuman that also looks very interesting as well. It's a great series and continues to become much more interesting as the series progresses.

I can't say much about the other series, other than two series at the moment.

Phi Brain: The plot sounds pretty good, the art looks very modern and "cool" looking, but it's the characters that could make the less than interesting.

But it's too early too tell and it's from Sunrise, so there is always a chance it could become a good series.

Ben-To: I've been watching anime for years and even the most off the wall series could be described. This series may just very well be an exception. It looks like a mixture between Hare and Guu, some random Shonen Show and maybe even a harem anime.

The premise of this series is simple, students must fight for lunch. Well it's like Funimation catch phrase said for Bamboo Blade "Some fight for honor, they fight for sushi." I say that, because I am pretty sure I saw sushi in a trailer that was posted here several days ago.

It's so off the wall, it could actually be worthy of watching just one episode to see what it's about.

I agree with the Zac's rating of Hunter X Hunter, it truly is worthy of 4.00, maybe 4.5 depending if you've seen the show before.

Last edited by Teriyaki Terrier on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
kufirst

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited!

Anyway, ever since I read a review of Nana from you Carl you've been my favorite anime critic!
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
From my pov..........F/Z spent far far too long establishing stuff quite a few people already know.

Even if it's for the sake of newcomers, I think 20-30 minutes of exposition woulda been enough.

My interest in this series is solely revolved around Caster and Lancer. Caster could really use some animation to elaborate on what he does. And Lancer....holds two lances.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 43