• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Steamboy Trailer in Theaters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vherub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote
That's pretty solid. Sideways pulled in almost $5 million this past weekend.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:17 pm Reply with quote
It's probably that particular theatre that added that. I don't think it's attached to the print, since Steamboy's being distributed by Sony, not Fox. Sideways is in 1800 theatres anyway. Steamboy would be lucky to get 1/10th that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
silentjay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
It's probably that particular theatre that added that. I don't think it's attached to the print, since Steamboy's being distributed by Sony, not Fox. Sideways is in 1800 theatres anyway. Steamboy would be lucky to get 1/10th that.

Cross-studio promotion happens all the time. For a recent example, Fox had the trailer for Episode III tied to the print of The Incredibles.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I know it happens, I'm just very skeptical that Fox would attach a trailer for a film which is distributed by another studio, which is aimed at a very niche audience compared to that for a relatively mainstream film like Sideways, and which won't likely be on all that many more than 150 screens nationwide.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tondog38

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:25 pm Reply with quote
The other odd thing is that Sideways has been in theaters for a while now.
Annie_Jr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I saw "Sideways" a couple of days ago in a town I was visiting for a while. I saw the Steamboy trailer, It was really neat. But these teens sitting behind me were snickering stuff like "Who's actually gonna see that!??" And stuff like that. It really irritates me. Anyways, I do plan on seeing Steamboy with my sister, who's birthday is coming up soon.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:14 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of surprised teens would see a flick like Sideways. Anyway, it'd make more sense to piggy-back Pooh's Heffalump Movie or Robots.
Annie_Jr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm kind of surprised teens would see a flick like Sideways. Anyway, it'd make more sense to piggy-back Pooh's Heffalump Movie or Robots.
Well they were about college aged and they were bothersome. Anyways, Steamboy seems like a very good movie.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I haven't seen it, but if it's typical Otomo, the film should hold very little appeal for the preteen crowd
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Whedon: Given that the leads are pre-teens, and things go boom a lot, I disagree.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1