• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Negima Facelift

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Triad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear this since I personally don't like the current opening as its just plain boring. Now to see how the new opening differs, all for the better (I hope)...
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, doesn't sound like he was too thriled with the end results of the TV series to be refering to it as "improperly supervised" and to actually reanimate and add to the existing animation rather than just including scenes that were already animated, but cut. I'm not sure I've ever heard of an anime undergoing something of this scale before.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Hmm, doesn't sound like he was too thriled with the end results of the TV series to be refering to it as "improperly supervised" and to actually reanimate and add to the existing animation rather than just including scenes that were already animated, but cut. I'm not sure I've ever heard of an anime undergoing something of this scale before.

For different reasons, the animation of Heat Guy J differred significantly on TV and on the DVD.

In order to make the TV schedule and stay on budget, the production company wasn't able to complete the animation, so the unfinished material was aired on TV and then later cleaned up for the DVD release...

-t
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, so long as the edits are an improvement. I'm just hoping they don't do to it what they did to Love Hina...
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote
AnimeHeretic wrote:
Well, so long as the edits are an improvement. I'm just hoping they don't do to it what they did to Love Hina...

What happenned to Love Hina ?
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
This makes me VERY happy. The current anime is meh....not as good as I had expected (maybe they'll chance the the music
^-^) Did the first 5 minutes of the show makes sense to ANYONE!? I know it was a "love ritual" but it was a scene that the actions could have been summed up a little better. I think this process should have been done BEFORE the anime aired and certainly not after almost 5 weeks of this show being on the japanese airwaves. I'm glad it's getting done, but it should have been done WAY before now.
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
AnimeHeretic wrote:

What happenned to Love Hina ?

They dumbed it down and took it on theirselves to rewrite good manga episodes into mediocre anime episodes. Hmm, I guess that was a non sequitur comment to the topic, but I enjoyed the LH and Negima manga and am really hoping they don't ruin Negima like they did LH.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Considering how weak it feels compared the the manga, the fanservice was gone and the semblance of story that is there is watered down as well.

While it does show how much Negima relies on fanservice as a factor, it goes to show that they could have done a much better job with it.

For now, I'll stick with the manga, thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote
okay....does this REALLY matter to US folks?

eventhough I live in Japan, I really don't buy TV series on dvd....few OAVs and movies here and there...although I was tempted to buy entire Bakuretsu Tenshi boxsets but when I really thought about it, I couldn't answer "WHY?".

Only TV series that I bought was Hanaukyo Maid Tai original TV series....and boy that costed ALOT...at least it had DTS audio track
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:43 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:

Whether it does or not, it's still anime news. Plus, knowing what versions of the series are out there could potentially be a factor when talk of the series getting licensed comes up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
This makes me VERY happy. The current anime is meh....not as good as I had expected (maybe they'll chance the the music
^-^) Did the first 5 minutes of the show makes sense to ANYONE!? I know it was a "love ritual" but it was a scene that the actions could have been summed up a little better. I think this process should have been done BEFORE the anime aired and certainly not after almost 5 weeks of this show being on the japanese airwaves. I'm glad it's getting done, but it should have been done WAY before now.

Same here the those five minutes where a waste of time it was nothing but dead air not funny at all.
icepick314

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:17 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
icepick314 wrote:

Whether it does or not, it's still anime news. Plus, knowing what versions of the series are out there could potentially be a factor when talk of the series getting licensed comes up.

not that i try sound so negetive but when does it actually matter to license process?

anyone remember Evangelion cut and uncut version? If I'm not mistaken, last 6 episodes were cut during TV broadcase due to extra "stuff" but years later after VHS and DVD was released with TV broadcast version, Japan re-released Renewal and US got the Platinum release...

Not to mention Gantz was cut during Japanese TV but when the DVDs were released, it was unedited in Japan and US....

so should i buy Bakuretsu Tenshi DVD boxsets?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:26 am Reply with quote
The opening animation was a little boring. But does adding fanservice to a title really improve it any? It didn't do a thing for it in Girls Bravo, Gantz or Bakten. If anything, I think that adding something after a series is on the air may delay a US license because the product is changing and/or there is decreased faith in that product.

Negima in its first form appealed to a broader age range and both genders. I hope that they don't ruin this title.

I just wish that some of those creators would realize that fanservice is not a substitution for plot or properly executed comedy.

Response to below.
If you release promos that contain shots of a 14 yr old girl's nude buttock or 14 yr old girls in seductive poses and then don't deliver in the anime, expect people to say the word "censor" or "not enough fanservice" since this is what was originally shown to them. It was the level of expectation that they had for the series. This again is the fault of the creators of the series for using that technique to attract males to the show to increase the show's ratings.
The creators should already know what is acceptible and balance it. Not add extras to the DVD or announce changes 5 weeks into a series that will may ultimately change a series and limit its audience.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:03 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I just wish that some of those creators would realize that fanservice is not a substitution for plot or properly executed comedy.
You should say that to all the fanboys who say the worst thing about Negima! is the fact that there's not enough fan service or that it had been censored. *rolls eyes*

Widya Santoso
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
not that i try sound so negetive but when does it actually matter to license process?

Because it gives the licensor a choice. Just because a better version exists does not mean that the better version is what will be released in North America. When ADV licensed Evangelion they went with the cheaper TV edited version as apposed to the Japanese DVD version. Likewise when it came to licensing Gantz they opted for the Japanese DVD version rather than the TV version. It's important to us to know that there are two versions of Nagima because we're going to want the DVD version, but the TV version is an option that we want to look out for and hope against.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2