• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere (TV, both seasons).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:45 am Reply with quote
Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere (TV)

NOTE: Season 2 discussion starts here

Summary:
In the far future, humans abandon the devastated Earth and move to the upper world "Tenjo". But Tenjo and the law of causation collapse by a war and humans returns to the Earth, which has turns into an inhabitable planet except for Shinshu area.

Shinshu is too small to accommodate all the humans, so they duplicate the area and create "Juso Sekai" in a parallel world. In order to rebuild Tenjo and the law of causation, the returned humans start reproduction of the history from B.C. 10,000. When the reproduction proceeds to A.D. 1413, a war breaks out in Shinshu and Juso Sekai falls onto the original world.

The humans living in Juso Sekai lose their land and invade the original world. People in Shinshu surrender and the land is divided by the invaders from Juso Sekai. They try to resume the history reproduction from A.D.1457, but the update of the history terminates in A.D.1648. A rumor of apocalypse begins to spread the world.

13 episodes
Action,Fantasy

I have a feeling this anime will be the hidden gem on the season. I mean the producers already said they are working on season 2. The first episodes puts us right into action. Group of students (The group is well diversified... in a good comedic way) try to beat their teacher for a training mission. The protagonist is introduced later in the episode and boy is he wearing a fabolous outfit...
He seems to be the leader of the group, but more of the happy go lucky type of leader. He is voiced by Jun Fukuyama. He makes the claim that he willspoiler[ confess to Horizon, a girl who has been dead/missing for 10 years. But I think the opening and the first episode makes it obvious who Horizon really is]. The soundtrack stands out in the first episode. I think one of the songs was an english techno song. I expect good things from this anime, hopefully it pans out.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote
That plot summary probably would've been helpful if it appeared in the episode somewhere. Or is that what the babble at the end was supposed to communicate?

Right now it resembles one of those amateur projects by folks who just want to show they can animate with a one-off project. It reminds me of those Touhou pieces more than anything else.

It seems like the class could be full of interesting and unique characters in some story somewhere, but that story is nowhere in sight right now.

Did the protaganist pick up his clothes from the Final Fantasy Villain (first form) Clearance Sale?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:46 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
That plot summary probably would've been helpful if it appeared in the episode somewhere. Or is that what the babble at the end was supposed to communicate?

Right now it resembles one of those amateur projects by folks who just want to show they can animate with a one-off project. It reminds me of those Touhou pieces more than anything else.

It seems like the class could be full of interesting and unique characters in some story somewhere, but that story is nowhere in sight right now.

Did the protaganist pick up his clothes from the Final Fantasy Villain (first form) Clearance Sale?

I don't know I guess they will explain the situation in the 2nd episode.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote
Big Lipped Alligator Episode.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:27 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was so rubbish I will not even bother to watch the second- and this is the first time it ever happens.

So we have a bunch of boring characters with weird powers and weapons (and boobs), including a blob of jelly. The dialogue is incomprehensible- I had no clue what the characters were talking about, and they did not seem to know either. OK, O get it that they do not want to reveal everything, but it looks as if they want to create a mystery around something that is not there, and I am not willing to wait 13 episodes to find out that there was nothing there to watch in first place.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
The dialogue is incomprehensible- I had no clue what the characters were talking about, and they did not seem to know either.

Out of curiosity, did you you use a fansub - which is most likely the case given your location. I don't know how much of a limit there is talking about fansubs but the earliest fansub group to release this was terrible at subbing it. I watched that fansub and the legal stream subs. The legal stream subs makes thing a lot more comprehensible than the earlier fansubs. Most of the dialogue was about chasing the teacher and there wasn't an info-dump until the end. However, I still understood the info-dump of the end which is basically the plot summary. It talks about the ship itself and the setting.

Onto the episode itself, I enjoyed it. I laughed a lot for no particular reason but the boobies and stuff were ridiculously funny. Then there was the protagonist who makes his appearance towards the end of the episode. His actions are hilarious, I like him.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
The first episode was so rubbish I will not even bother to watch the second- and this is the first time it ever happens.

So we have a bunch of boring characters with weird powers and weapons (and boobs), including a blob of jelly. The dialogue is incomprehensible- I had no clue what the characters were talking about, and they did not seem to know either. OK, O get it that they do not want to reveal everything, but it looks as if they want to create a mystery around something that is not there, and I am not willing to wait 13 episodes to find out that there was nothing there to watch in first place.

You should give it a couple more episodes, it can't hurt. I read somewhere it would be somewhat of a confusing anime.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:31 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
The dialogue is incomprehensible- I had no clue what the characters were talking about, and they did not seem to know either.

Out of curiosity, did you you use a fansub - which is most likely the case given your location. I don't know how much of a limit there is talking about fansubs but the earliest fansub group to release this was terrible at subbing it. I watched that fansub and the legal stream subs. The legal stream subs makes thing a lot more comprehensible than the earlier fansubs. Most of the dialogue was about chasing the teacher and there wasn't an info-dump until the end. However, I still understood the info-dump of the end which is basically the plot summary. It talks about the ship itself and the setting.

By the incomprehensible dialogue I did not mean the quality of the subs; I got what they said, it just altogether they seemed to be talking about nothing, making it sound very, very pompous.. The characters had a lot to say, but most of it could be summed up as "Ill get you", "No, you wont", except that it took them a lot more words to say so. The first five minutes felt like... I have heard it all before, but they needed to make it seem as if it a lot more complicated than it was. Which resulted in me losing interest. I don't mind confusing series (after all, I love Texhnolyze and NGE), but I am not a fan of making things sound complicated for the sake of it. 'Wooohoho, we're gonna be mysterious so they are gonna keep on watching to see what happens next'. I made that mistake with No6 and Blood-C last season, and I don't want to make it again. I'll wait for the series to end while eyeing comments here to see if it is worth watching.
tribulations

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
It really is confusing, and yeah, I did not appreciate that info dump at the end. I was all like, 'huh, what?'
However, other than that... I enjoyed it. A lot. It was good, stupid fun, what with its over-the-top action and fanservice and all. Sure there wasn't much there story-wise, but either it'll be revealed as time goes on, or we'll have a giddy acid trip of Touhou-esque witch girls, naked incubuses, and boobs. Either works for me. I'm not going to be too picky about this show--it'll probably turn out to be one of those guilty pleasure series.
I appreciate that for once we have an entertaining main character, and yes, he's faaaaaabbbbbuloussssss. Oh, and the soundtrack is awesome. If it keeps up, this is one I wouldn't mind owning!
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Having just finished the first episode, I gotta say that I loved it. Sure we did not get a lot of back story give and the story did not really get going it, but I found it a fun to watch. Actually what Gia wrote about the first episode of this shows is similar to how I feel about it.

Gonna keep following this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
So far it looks like a show put together by a Merchandising team looking to push product. Some call it dumb fun, I would go further and say the first episode was down right stupid. I don't think I'll be watching this series. I've had plenty of people tell me stuff about shows like "wait until episode 10 then it all gets really good!" or "wait until chapter 50 in the manga then it gets awesome!" Sorry, if I gotta wait that long then its a fail.

Plus I don't mind some fan service, but I found the bit at the end to be totally tasteless and no the character did not receive enough of a beat down imho. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing that happen. A character who does something seriously perverted and then gets beat down for about 10 minutes of the episode and then never, ever does anything perverted again.

Last edited by One-Eye on Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
magvis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
So far it looks like a show put together by a Merchandising team looking to push product. Some call it dumb fun, I would go further and say the first episode was down right stupid. I don't think I'll be watching this series. I've had plenty of people tell me stuff like "wait until episode 10 then it all gets really good!" or "wait until chapter 50 in the manga then it gets awesome!" Sorry, if I gotta wait that long then its a fail.

Plus I don't mind some fan service, but I found the bit at the end to be totally tasteless and no the character did not receive enough of a beat down imho. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing that happen. A character who does something seriously perverted and then gets beat down for about 10 minutes of the episode and then never, ever does anything perverted again.

I found this to be even more boring (not to mention incredibly stupid) than the promo video led me to believe. I can't believe that anyone sober would approve this for broadcase unless, as mentioned above, it was to sell toys or something.
It was so bad that I couldn't even watch the whole episode. YECH!
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I mean the producers already said they are working on season 2.

Seriously? They're THAT confident? I wish they made a 2nd season of SS as well...

Anyways, love the first episode. All the different names and terminologies are a bit overwhelming, but I'll get used to it as I watch more episodes. Lots of unique looking character designs. NEVER have I ever seen such a smug looking protagonist.

I wanna understand some of the character's powers a bit more...for example, what was up with that guy who summoned a giant red gate? Why did the blonde hair girl fire her laser at it? etc.

I wonder will the indian guy breathe fire...

This show reminds me a lot of Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

This was my experience with it as well. I was totally put off by the wierd incomprehensible babbling that just went on and on. The characters were all uninteresting and I didn't like the designs for them either.

The only positive aspect of the show I noted was the music being pretty good.

Last edited by Kruszer on Sun May 13, 2012 7:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Despite my comments, I'm definitely catching another episode of this. It was entertaining to watch, and that's about all I ask from my anime. I could certainly see myself enjoying watching this gang of weirdos run around (especially the dudes), but I have no idea if they're going to be relevant at all for the rest of the show. For all I know, they may get LOLHeroed/STRAINed/(other such anime)-ed in the next episode.

The info-dump isn't hard to comprehend so much as it's simply floating in space. There were some things, and some places, and now people are mad at each other and fighting, or something. But it had nothing to do with what was going on. It may as well have been from a different anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9