• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Riverside Renamed Chrono Code

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeiram

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:19 am Reply with quote
hmm, ninja ressurection anyone?

nah could still be a good story, i'll have a glance sometime
Dejiko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:22 am Reply with quote
Whee, I can see Ms. Answerman cringe in fear by the prospect of a whole new wave of questions around the 'Chrono' motif: "Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross is not Chrono Crusade is not Chrono Code".

Could be right there up with the Hellsing/Furuba/Berserk continuation mass-dellusion! Very Happy
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Did we really need to have another series with the name Chrono in the title? Where did they pull that title out of? Ugn.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Where did they pull that title out of? Ugn.

Maybe because it involves time-travel, and searching for a code?
Zeiram

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:12 pm Reply with quote
hehe ok i'll admit to silliness
jhanime

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Why do they have to change titles? I'm still upset about TokyoPop's "Soul to Seoul". It's original name is "East Coast" and I like the original title whole lot better. Evil or Very Mad If those manga and manwha have English titles, then I think the US publishers should keep it that way.
Izlude

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the original publishers wanted them to change it?
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop might have changed it on purpose, to play off of Chrono Crusade's popularity. It's marketing - for example, someone dumb might accidently pick up Chrono Code off of a shelf instead of Chrono Crusade, but then end up getting into Chrono Code anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:52 am Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
Tokyopop might have changed it on purpose, to play off of Chrono Crusade's popularity. It's marketing - for example, someone dumb might accidently pick up Chrono Code off of a shelf instead of Chrono Crusade, but then end up getting into Chrono Code anyway.

I tend to think, like I already said, that it has to do with the fact that the story is about time-travel (Chrono meaning time, for anybody that doesn't know) and that they are searching for the missing code of Riverside.
hkrok76

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:33 pm Reply with quote
so....is there a copyright issue with keeping it riverside? because in all seriousness...it's retarded to change a title that doesn't need to be changed. no matter what side of the world wanted the change. If it was Korea, tokyopop should have said no, but I'm betting the change was almost entirely tp's decision. Until I am proven otherwise, I'll blame them for a retarded, and obviously confusing name change. Again, if it was Korea, remember....they don't know that good english well. Anyway. Boo to tp anyway. Haven't liked them in a good while. Bad marketting decisions just bug the hell out of me.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
I tend to think, like I already said, that it has to do with the fact that the story is about time-travel (Chrono meaning time, for anybody that doesn't know) and that they are searching for the missing code of Riverside.

But in that case, what's wrong with the original title?

We really don't need anymore "Chrono" titles causing confusion, even if they'd been forced to rename it they could've picked something better... Anime hyper
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:46 pm Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:

But in that case, what's wrong with the original title?

We really don't need anymore "Chrono" titles causing confusion, even if they'd been forced to rename it they could've picked something better... Anime hyper

It wouldn't have caused any confusion with me. In any case, Riverside is a rather non-descript title, whereas Chrono Code basically tells you the plot in 2 words. Not that that matters I suppose.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:34 am Reply with quote
Dejiko wrote:

Could be right there up with the Hellsing/Furuba/Berserk continuation mass-dellusion! Very Happy

Argh - I misread that as a "continuing" mass-delusion and thought people were confusing FruBa with Berserk... Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1