• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - We Can't Have Nice Things

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePoliced

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Damn, nobody voted for the NGE op?, thats like the king of OPs.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping someone mentioned the OP for Blood-C, one of the only things good about that tripe.

Oh! And the Gokudo ED!
Lev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
ThePoliced wrote:
Damn, nobody voted for the NGE op?, thats like the king of OPs.

Haha my thoughts exactly while browsing through.

The first opening and ending songs to Gundam Seed are definitely my favourites, they're probably the only examples of songs that actually got me to watch the show just so I could hear them!

One Piece Rap is the best evar, my sister and I always break out into it at random moments uh huh.
BattleHork

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Hokuto no Ken - Ai wo Torimodose is the best OP ever for the following reasons:

1) You wa shock
2) Even though the world got covered by nuclear fire back in 199X, this song is really upbeat. Gives you a sense of hope, triumphing over adversity and all that.
3) You wa shock
4) The video has mohawked thugs on flying motorcycles
5) You wa shock
6) It is very, very, powerfully, 1980s.
7) And finally, YOU WA SHOCK
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Uh... Jean-Jacques Burnel is from Bristol, isn't he? He sounds local, and he used to drink with a friend of mine. And he's the frontman of The Stranglers, so yeah.

ETA: Apparently he has dual citizenship, but he doesn't really seem to have any major connection with France except for his parents, and the fact that they tried to get him to do National Service there.

Also inb4 people who aren't Stranglers fans, do you realise that the same guy does the opening and ending of Gankutsuou? Makes I laff.

- Pips
gwern

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Look, here's the thing about any series from before the year 2000 that, thus far, has never been licensed before, especially during the brief period of anime-related posterity in the West

Posterity?
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Actually, older anime CAN be licensed, but you pretty much have to have an established fanbase first. Hence why Fist of the North Star, Lupin TV, Utena, original Gundam, etc. got lucky and others didn't.
Saturn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Lev wrote:

The first opening and ending songs to Gundam Seed are definitely my favourites, they're probably the only examples of songs that actually got me to watch the show just so I could hear them!

After all these years, both of those songs are still on my iPod, even though my tastes have changed radically in the interim and I have very few other jpop songs on there.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm impartial to some of the older OP's. Especially when this happens.

(It's Touch by Yoshimi Iwasaki....with a twist.)
Mirri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of the Ninku "movie" and Yu Yu Hakusho... There's a Yu Yu Hakusho "movie" as a double feature on the same disc lol

edit: argh this is an Answerfans that I would've sent in for. I wasn't paying close enough attention to it last week Sad I would've said Platinum from CCS as favorite.

Last edited by Mirri on Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
eyevocal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
My own nice long reply to this:

Music time? Whip that on me, and you'd better pack a lunch. Some coffee might help, too.

I've got quite a few favourite anime theme songs, and this is coming from someone who loves music to death, but doesn't like a lot of JPop. I guess, if I had to choose only one song, it would be Yoko Kanno and Akino Arai's "Voices" from Macross Plus. If you haven't heard this song yet, stop reading this, go to YouTube and get it into your earholes now. We'll wait for you to come back and finish reading this. As far as my precision Swiss (cheese) memory permits, this was probably the first anime song I heard that made me go, "I have to get the CD." I have since bought all four, complete with Japanese releases of the Sharon Apple EP and the movie soundtrack (fugeddabout the pirate labels of Hong Kong; I want the people who made the music to get my money). Since then, I grab Yoko Kanno's CDs when I can find and afford them. Hey, it's the only way I would buy anything related to Arjuna.

Most inappropriate: Without a doubt, Nao Nagasawa's "Pump Up!", the ED of Divergence Eve. For those of you who haven't watched this series because of the Toshinari Yamashita boobies OD (can't say I blame you, even though that's what attracted me to it!), it's basically a horror series set in outer space. The deeper it gets into the series, the more terrible things happen to the cast. I nearly got whiplash from having a particularly heavy episode end with this fast, cracking Soca-style song playing over scenes of lead character Misaki posing in various outfits (plus one lack thereof). It might have been the producers' intention to lift Japanese TV viewers out of the bummer zone at the end of the episode, but, man, does it ever give your brain the bends.

Absolute worst: Let's just say that, in my opinion, very few anime themes rise up out of the sea of swill that is Japanese pop music and stand out on their own as songs. I won't enter anime name-that-tune contests at cons, because the songs start to sound alike after a while. Enough songs distinguish themselves so that I keep listening for the next one that makes me go "YES!", but sometimes it's a slog, so I can't pick out just one that's the absolute worst. Sorry. Besides, I'll probably cause enough controversy with the first sentence above, so I'll leave it at that.

Weirdest: My favourite Japanese bands are Boredoms, Zeni Geva and Merzbow; explains the above, doesn't it? I run a panel on Japanese underground music at cons. There are no "weirdest" anime songs out there. If the whole of Judy and Mary's "Sobakasu" from Rurouni Kenshin sounded like the tape-screwed intro, then we'd have something (yeah, yeah, dream on). The closest I can find to "weird" anime music is Geinoh Yamashirogumi's score for the movie Akira, which symphonically combines gamelan and rock music. I had to buy both CDs of that. Perhaps the most unusual anime theme song is Kuniaki Haishima and David Sylvian's "For the Love of Life" (first ED of Monster), which is an ambient wash of melody where even Sylvian's vocals drift while staying just cohesive enough. I wish there was a karaoke version of this song to lay on con-goers; as it is, I've done it a capella a couple of times, to quite good audience response.

Catchiest: Megumi Hayashibara's "Sakura Saku," the OP of Love Hina. Not only are the vocal melodies some deep-digging earworms, but the arrangement is arguably the second-best setting of various types of musical weirdness in a pop song ever--the best being the Beatles' "I Am the Walrus," of course. Written by the late, great Ritsuko Okazaki...Belldandy, I miss her. Second catchiest: "Oshiete Sensei-san" from/by Bottle Fairy. The "la la la" that will never die.

Laziest: How would I know? I've never sat in on a recording session for any of them.

Anyhoo, my copy of Steve Reich's new CD/DVD WTC 9/11 (with autographed booklet) just came in the mail. More listening to do. Later.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Not a huge fan of HOTD huh?

Was that One Piece rap for the terrible 4kids version?

As far as what shows I will be watching this season, I will really have to think about it. Half of the shows I was really looking forward to have gotten lukewarm reviews (or bad reviews, in C^3's case), and some that I totally counted out seem actually pretty good, so I am going to have to really think about it.
mic911911

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:04 pm Reply with quote
So i will make mine simple and say favorite OP is from Samurai Champloo because that song sets the tone for the whole soundtrack of the show which is incredible (Nujabes R.I.P). My favorite is probably tougher to decide because I usually don't watch through them (too much anime to watch) so I have to say a song I can always listen to is the ending theme to Aria the Animation "Rainbow" by Round Table,

Also I guess i should honorable mention the opening of Aria the Animation "Undine" because of the relaxing tone. And for endings honorable mention any of the K-On endings work well, but particularly "NO, Thank You!" from the second season (Mio).
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
gwern wrote:
Quote:

Look, here's the thing about any series from before the year 2000 that, thus far, has never been licensed before, especially during the brief period of anime-related posterity in the West

Posterity?

awesome. i am PROUD of this typo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Man, I need to start buying some mp3s, because so many of these are great OP/ED I've forgotten about.

Nujabes rest in peace!

The Baccano ED? Definitely doesn't stick in my mind, but I don't know if it doesn't fit with the show. I'll check later, but I thought it was a decent flip side tot he high energy OP.

Another good recent Op for me is the Rainbow OP, because it fit well with the "oh hell" feeling the show gave you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3