• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Fans and Stereotypes of the anime fan.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MichiyoYoshiku

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I was talking to the Snobbiest anime fan Today. He mocked me for saying I'd take Naruto over Full Metal Alcamist (and he does not have the opinion that it's the best Anime ever he says it like fact)
Told me to die when I said I wanted to do dubs and ADR work.
Shot down every anime I own and made the false statement that RahXephon was made by the same staff as FMA
I said I didn't like Dragon Ball he didn't belive me and blocked me when I said the only thing that redeems it is Vegeta. (I think Dragon Ball is played out) to avoid confusion He hates it (it and naruto are trash much like those who watching in his words)

He's not the Typical fan but he does fit the Snobby otaku 733test Stereotype.

So for the sake of laughs what other types of Anime fans have you run into?

Last edited by MichiyoYoshiku on Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Theowne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Do people really do this type of thing? That is sort of pathetic.....mocking people's anime viewing....they need to get outside more. Different people like different things....and theres a heck of a lot of anime out there.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Theowne wrote:
Do people really do this type of thing? That is sort of pathetic.....mocking people's anime viewing....they need to get outside more. Different people like different things....and theres a heck of a lot of anime out there.

all the freakin time.

We also got the elitist scum who think they invented anime and no one else deserves it. And if you tell them you watched it dubbed or edited and enjoyed it, they wll just stick thier noses up at you and treat you like a child.

And we got those who attack a show because its fan base is too high. Also they are very quick to decide what the fan base is or will be. Why attack something they dont understand? They do it because there coolness is threatened.
MichiyoYoshiku

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:04 pm Reply with quote
He's a fan subber too. And all other fan sub groups that aren't his SUCK.

Then there's the fun fan that mixes Japanese into sentences loves pocky and other japanese confections.

The Cosplayer who wants to be in the anime they love so they dress up and look NOTHING like who they are trying to be. (Thank God Jin is to me what MR Sparkle is to Homer Simpson)
Theowne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:

we got those who attack a show because its fan base is too high.

Yes I have noticed this thing where people are annoyed by Naruto because it has gotten to a very popular state, although they don't realize obviously there has to be a good reason to why it's that popular right?? Maybe because it is a good anime?? (well, eps 1 - 20 in my opinion Anime hyper)
MichiyoYoshiku

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm not nuts about Naruto. It'll be the next DBZ BUT I'm going to give the first few episodes a shot. I only saw a stand alone anime.

It's the Eletest fans that annoy me the ones that say there is no other anime besides their favorite and the kind I mentioned when I started this thread.

I'm not what you'd Call an Otaku. I watch anime to learn more about Japanese life and watch something with more substance than most US cartoons but I'm more well rounded. I enjoy Old Popeye cartoons, The Simpsons the Marvel Cartoons that kept to the story line of the comics (and art style) I buy alot of anime more than other so I'm not a casual fan but I'm not super hardcore either like other examples I gave
JustinSane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Alright, the people who brag that the anime they watch is cooler than the anime you watch are the biggest losers ever and should seriously consider dropping out of life. The other thing that I can't stand is that people always love to say that they don't find anything great about Naruto and that it's overrated, "the next DBZ", blah blah blah. First off, if you don't like Naruto then that's fine by me. So it's popular, maybe because it's a good show and people enjoy it, since when was anime punk rock? Just because an anime is popular doesn't mean it's bad and since when was DBZ such a bad anime? I mean it is drawn out a bit but I'm sure most of you started watching anime because of DBZ and if DBZ wasn't so good then how'd it get so popular? If those losers keep giving you problems about what anime you watch or whatever tell them to go f*** off.
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Steotypes?

The "glomping" (stupid word.), cosplaying, socially awkward (not knowing when to shut the hell up, not knowing when they aren't welcome, and over comepnsating their lack of interaction skills to the point of being annoying.) otaku seems to be the perception du juor by everyone in various other genre-specific circles.

Can't say there isn't a basis for it, though. There's supposedly a lot of heat brewing between comic fans and anime fans at a lot of shared conventions recently.
MichiyoYoshiku

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:15 pm Reply with quote
JustinSane wrote:
Alright, the people who brag that the anime they watch is cooler than the anime you watch are the biggest losers ever and should seriously consider dropping out of life. The other thing that I can't stand is that people always love to say that they don't find anything great about Naruto and that it's overrated, "the next DBZ", blah blah blah. First off, if you don't like Naruto then that's fine by me. So it's popular, maybe because it's a good show and people enjoy it, since when was anime punk rock? Just because an anime is popular doesn't mean it's bad and since when was DBZ such a bad anime? I mean it is drawn out a bit but I'm sure most of you started watching anime because of DBZ and if DBZ wasn't so good then how'd it get so popular? If those losers keep giving you problems about what anime you watch or whatever tell them to go f*** off.

I think Naruto is going to be the Next DBZ in the relem of Popularity.

and I think Hype killed Dragon Ball. Hype kills alot of things

Also do EVA fans Deserve their own group in anime fandom....
Theowne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Personally, in terms of Naruto, I like to pretend the entire series is the first 20 episodes and that the rest don't exist Confused

Anyways I also think a person must be very, very lame if they are bragging about anime to people on the internet....I mean, I would just ignore them seriously. They can't find a way to gain popularity in real life so they resort to using their elite anime-watching skills.

Anyways, good for them. But I would watch what anime I think is good. Even if the Saikano dvds are missing a few translations, even if Naruto has hordes of 13 year old fans, and yes, even if dragonball changes the word "die" to "lose".

Actually, take off the dragonball one.
Unherd4You

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:00 pm Reply with quote
MichiyoYoshiku wrote:
I was talking to the Snobbiest anime fan Today. He mocked me for saying I'd take Naruto over Full Metal Alcamist (and he does not have the opinion that it's the best Anime ever he says it like fact)
Told me to die when I said I wanted to do dubs and ADR work.
Shot down every anime I own and made the false statement that RahXephon.
I said I didn't like Dragon Ball he didn't belive me and blocked me when I said the only thing that redeems it is Vegeta. (I think Dragon Ball is played out) to avoid confusion He hates it (it and naruto are trash much like those who watching in his words)

He's not the Typical fan but he does fit the Snobby otaku 733test Stereotype.

He must get pretty cruddy reviews on his stuff to even say that. Or maybe he gets no reviews at all because no one likes him. Twisted Evil But, they will always suck and life goes on.

MichiyoYoshiku wrote:
So for the sake of laughs what other types of Anime fans have you run into?

The ones that I like are the ones that like to watch anime simply because they like anime. They'll try and watch any anime at least once and don't take it to seriously. It's a cartoon for crying out loud. Shocked
kainzero

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Oooh ooh I'm good at stereotyping!

Elitist Otaku - Says his shows are so much better than whatever you watch. Pretends to know Japanese, using his 3-word vocabulary of Ohayo, Baka, and Hentai. Knows every detail about his favorite show and refuses to speak to anyone else about it. Even if you like the same shows as him, he'll still probably bash you because he wants to feel better than everyone else.

Drama Cosplayer - Watches anime ONLY to find a good looking costume. Hates everyone who has the same costume. Throws hissy fits at other groups. If it's a girl, regardless of her weight class, usually has as little clothes on as possible to attract guys. Complains about other people's costumes not being from a real anime (Final Fantasy, KH, etc).

Japophile - Loves everything Japanese, but only because it is Japanese. Knowledgable in everything pertaining to the subject, from sword arts to history to food to baseball teams to music. May carry either extreme dislike or love with anime. Most likely not Japanese.

Closet freak - Shy, sticks to himself/herself, but usually very knowledgeable. Lolicon, catgirl, or yaoi fetishes (depending on gender) can usually be associated with these people.

Non-anime anime fan - Claims to hate and despise anime, yet shows up at the convention every year and still manages to maintain a working knowledge of current titles. Also tends to mock other anime fans.

Anime N00b - Tries to fit in with the community as much as possible. Laughs at jokes everyone else laughs at, even when it's clearly not funny. Possibly attempts cosplay. Most usually start out at this stage before developing their own identities.

Attention Lover - Does everything possible to garner as much attention at cons. Carries signs, yells loudly, cosplays and asks people to take his/her picture.

I'm sure I can come up with more but I don't feel like it right now =P
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Shot down every anime I own and made the false statement that RahXephon was made by the same staff as FMA

Uh... isn't that true? I thought that both RahXephon AND Full Metal Alchecmist were both made by Studio BONES?
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:41 am Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
Quote:

Uh... isn't that true? I thought that both RahXephon AND Full Metal Alchecmist were both made by Studio BONES?

Yeah, I was about to say.

See for yourself: company#198
MichiyoYoshiku

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:53 am Reply with quote
What he said was THE EXACT SAME STAFF not studio but the staff. The irony here there's and FMA Banner as I type this.

It is nicely animated though. But the story......sounds too much like Dororo (or as you know it the PS2 game Blood May tell)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3