• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mirai Nikki (Future Diary) (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Mirai Nikki

Quote:
From Wikipedia:
Yukiteru Amano (or Yuki) is a loner who never really interacts with people and prefers writing a diary on his cell phone with his only companion being an imaginary friend named Deus Ex Machina, the God of Time and Space. However, Yuki soon learns that Deus is not a figment of his imagination but real when Deus makes him a participant in a battle royale with eleven others. Within this "Diary Game", the contestants are given special diaries that can predict the future with each diary having unique features that gives them both advantages and disadvantages. Within the next 90 days, the contestants must try to kill each other and survive until there is only one alive where the winner becomes the new God of Time and Space. In order to survive, Yuki tries to find allies and friends to help him with one of them being another diary user named Yuno Gasai, a girl who is madly in love with him. As the game continues, Yuki soon learns that not everyone can be trusted, not even Yuno, whose obsession to keep both of them alive no matter the cost terrifies him. Thus begins the game of life and death, where everyone wants to win, no matter the cost.

So, what's your opinion of the 1st episode?

[EDIT: Added expected Encyclopedia link - Key]
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:36 am Reply with quote
Subs are finally up so I guess I can throw my opinion in now(though I did take a look at the RAW)

I wasn;t sure what to expect from Asread but this looks like a pretty solid adaption so far(and decently animated minus CG Deus). Managed to get through the prologue and the first chapter as I figured it would, though I wasn;t expecting spoiler[the meeting of the twelve holders to be in this episode.] Well they do only have 26 episodes to cover the whole manga so I suppose it works and it gets right to the point.

Can;t wait to watch more
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:17 am Reply with quote
The production value seems to be a lot better than I thought (and the CG really fits Deus, for some reason).
The last part with Yuno was priceless. Definitely one of the best yandere scenes I've ever seen.

And keep watching after the ending. That serial killer was just hilarious. Laughing
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:27 am Reply with quote
I'm torn between my dislike of the "gratuitously do horrible things to children" genre and my love of the "wow, those people are psychotic" genre.

The side characters seem interesting enough, but that lead... it's going to be tough to soldier on through his presence.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:13 am Reply with quote
I thought it all worked quite well. It was plot-heavy and yet felt like it got a lot accomplished and certainly has a fascinating presence. The series is currently on the borderline for being one of the 4-5 series that I follow this season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
opn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I'm torn between my dislike of the "gratuitously do horrible things to children" genre and my love of the "wow, those people are psychotic" genre.

The side characters seem interesting enough, but that lead... it's going to be tough to soldier on through his presence.

dont worry about mid way through the story yuki mans up. as for the episode it was very good. i am surprised spoiler[they gave away a certain plot point about yuno so fast] but i guess its a way to hook people in.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Consider me hooked in. I loved the first episode. Main character was a bit of a bother at some points but everything else was pretty well done. I'll be in for the full 26 with this one.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:51 am Reply with quote
Some people had issues with Yuki in the manga as well, and wrote him off as another whiny lead. But if Yuki was a Naruto then spoiler[Yuno wouldn't have a chance to do her thing and really in the manga Yuno was the real star of the show;] it just wouldn't be as good. Its too bad that they've revealed somethings a bit quick. I hope they do it justice.
Raftina

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:14 am Reply with quote
It's perhaps fortunate for those who dislike Yuki's type of character that he is more of the point of view protagonist. Like Dr. Watson in the Sherlock Holmes stories, he is seldom alone. More interesting characters like Yuno constantly surround him, and it is their actions that drive the story. Then again, perhaps this annoys the viewer when it is not made clear that the story is about a character other than the point of view character.

Interesting choice to open the series. Other than the first scene, it has been rather faithful to the manga. Yuno needs to smile more, though--those smiles are what conveyed her yandere character so well in the manga.
4750G

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:51 am Reply with quote
I'm glad someone suggested this to me. I haven't read the manga so I had no idea what this will be all about. I loved the first episode. It's been a while since I watched an anime with a yandere. Yuki needs to do better though. He's such a wimp, it was no fun to watch. Makes me wonder how someone will go crazy over him.
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:36 am Reply with quote
4750G wrote:
I'm glad someone suggested this to me. I haven't read the manga so I had no idea what this will be all about. I loved the first episode. It's been a while since I watched an anime with a yandere. Yuki needs to do better though. He's such a wimp, it was no fun to watch. Makes me wonder how someone will go crazy over him.

He gets better later on. Trust me.
4750G

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
That's cool then. Thanks Divineking. Can't wait to see how he'll survive nine other people who can read the future going after him.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:53 am Reply with quote
Not bad. Not bad at all. Now that I have a clearer idea of what it entails, I think I can say with certainty that this show has the most intriguing premise of any anime the last couple years. Plus, I love, love, love the way they're actually setting up clear, simple time manipulation rules. Also, while Yuki may kind of fall into the bland and ineffectual lead rut, he takes the whole crazy loner thing to such an extreme that I don't mind. Same goes for Yuno who works largely because she is, clearly, completely bonkers. That said, the setup was pretty poorly executed. I'm not sure why we needed to race through things so quickly. Everything happen so fast. Still, I have high hopes for this one going forward.

(random nitpick: There is absolutely no way that a throwing dart would pierce all the way through a call phone. That's dumb).
rojse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:46 am Reply with quote
I loved the first episode of "Mirai Nikki" - the opening premise of having the ability to see the future is interesting, and then upping that to having to outwit opponents that can also see the future is brilliant. I'd have to say this is my favourite show of this season so far.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Not sure how I feel about another survival game plot with such an up-front setup, but....

...Yuuno really changes things. I think I'll watch more, because she really made the episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 16