• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyopop to Launch Asian Pop Culture Newsletter

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Stu Levy is sticking to an old-school, out-of-touch industry after all.

The thing is, I don't think he's going to make a penny off of this. Is he really so desperate to have thirteen year-old weeaboos fawn over him that he would write some trashy newsletter instead of getting a real job?
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote
So, who wants to place bets on how long this will last (or if it will even actually come out)?

Also, will this be a print newsletter or an online one? If it's the former, then it's doomed to fail, and if it's the latter it will be rather redundant news-wise, unless it's more about opinion pieces (and if so, again, what's the point when you can do that just by browsing around any old anime forum?)
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
So, does this mean his "Documentary" has gone bust? Y'know, harass earthquake/tsunami survivors, and stay in Japan forever?
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Stu Levy, for once again proving how incredibly out of touch you are with fans and the industry. Do you really think we'd pay you for news stories that we can get on here for free? Or for stuff on Asian pop culture that we can also find out readily online with a bit googlefu? Or for opinions which is what already existing blogs and forums are for? And for once again proving that you are too ADHD to actually own a company without getting distracted by a butterfly.

Dammit, why couldn't he have just handed the company over to someone more competent years ago?
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
*cringe*

Ugh, Tokyopop. You did some cool things back in the day (okay, one cool thing: helping push unflipped manga), and for that I thank you, but seriously, just stop.

Stu Levy, go make your vanity project movies in peace.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
All of a sudden I just imagined some parents giving their child a meager allowance, and then that child handing it over to Stu Levy. It's a sad and pathetic mental image but for whatever reason, it crossed my mind >_>;

The only good news in all of this is the fact that the manga licenses that Tokyopop had are now officially returned to the original Japanese license owners. (I'm actually relieved that they're SO hard for him to get back. Looks like those "negotiations" he tried to have with companies like Gentosha didn't work out)

I feel kind of bad wishing that this newsletter or whatever fails before it even begins, but I can't help it u_u;
Songdragosa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote
If the manga titles have returned to their owners and are "difficult" to get back, what business does Stu have cock teasing about the third volume of Hetalia?

... oh, wait.

(for the record, I just want someone to pick up the manga. I missed the TP print and there's no way in hell I'm buying it for $60 a pop on Amazon...)
_V_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote

Hitler is informed of the Tokyopop shutdown ending the Hetalia manga:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qyNzoN9G_Y
DifferentD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
I'm way too annoyed at Tokyopop closing in the first place to give a damn about some stupid newsletter from who? Stu himself? ridiculous..

As has already been said on here.. why would I care when I have multiple sources I already go to online to get anime/manga/Japanese culture news and opinions. I would much rather support them then Stu.

And I have no problem saying that I can't wait to see this either never actually happen or fail quickly..
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
Seems you guys aren't familiar with GeekChicDaily. It's a free e-newsletter for anything geeky that's been around for awhile.

http://www.geekchicdaily.com/

If you've been to any significant comic cons lately, they're there. And they're usually quite on top with breaking news, interviews, and prizes.

They already have a promo contest for TokyoPop:

To celebrate the launch of TOKYOPOP as an opt-in editorial Asian pop-culture newsletter, the folks at Kotobukiya have donated this 9-inch variant statue of Batgirl in black duds...before it's even released in the U.S. While fans fret about the appearance of feline femmes in the Christopher Nolan Bat-movies, we've got a gorgeous Gotham gal everyone can agree to appreciate. The mixing of eastern and western pop-art has rarely looked better, and if you want the heads-up on more cool stuff like this, you'd best be subscribing to the new TOKYOPOP Powered By GeekChicDaily newsletter, by entering your email below. One lucky receiver will take this fine statue back to their own Batcave, after the contest goes gently into the good dark night Oct 21, 2011.

But this is one time you shouldn't just stick to the same Bat-time, same Bat-channel, as we have multiple ways for you to get extra entries. Like and comment on TOKYOPOP's Facebook and retweet their Twitter, and do the same for GeekChicDaily's Facebook and Twitter as well. Refer friends below for even more (and more even) odds. And if you're going to New York Comic Con, be sure to stop by the Kotobukiya booth (332) for further pan-Pacific goodness you never realized you needed.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
The company stated that its former titles reverted to their original owners and are "amazingly difficult to get back."
did anyone else find this ^ VERY hilarious, and then think I BET THEY ARE. I just hope someone is able to release all those missing final volumes
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or does it seem like Stu Levy has absolutely zero respect for his customers? It feels like he thinks that the people keeping him in business are just a bunch of idiots, who will take what they can get, forgive repeated broken promises and furthermore will sing his praises over whatever new project is currently holding his interest.
Call me crazy, but alienating and angering your customers doesn't seem like an effective business practice. If he does actually go through with this, I can't imagine it will do well at all, especially when you consider how many magazines (better magazines, at that) have gone under recently, unable to compete with the Internet.
Banna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
This just sounds an an abridged version of the old Tokyopop magazine sans the poorly translated manga. ::shrugs with disinterest::
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
...I think I need to do this in question form:

No Hetalia?
Pisses me off because I feel bad for all the fans who were super hopeful. Although, are any of us REALLY surprised in this decision?

Wait, no Hetalia, or any other manga licenses??
Yaaaaaay!!! Well, now here's the potential for a GOOD publisher to pick up some of their titles Very Happy And no doubt some will! I just hope soon...

"VERY hard to get the licenses back"?
Well, obvious MONEY plays a role, and when you liquidate out a company, you won't have any of that! Oh, and maybe the publishers noticed what was going on and thought "pfft! Yeah right am I investing in THAT GUY again..." (not that they weren't successful with titles selling before, but you know...)

...think of this... as a GOOD thing.... ^^
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
Haha I BET they're difficult to get back after was basically said, "Nah, dun't want them; kthnxbye!"

I had long become un-amused by TokyoPop even before their downfall, myself.. They're licensing a series and stopping releases made me angry.. I HATE incomplete collections. ...and then they tried the whole "Social Environment" in their website where you couldn't find what you wanted to find... you know, the info on MANGA and releases.

...I'll never have respect for TokyoPop ever again; they just need to GO ON and leave us be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3