• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Walt Disney of Japan?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:22 pm Reply with quote
whos nickname is this? Osamu Tezuka, or Hayao Miyazaki?
radioactivemouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Tezuka. Disney was a pioneer as was Tezuka in their time.
crazydumbek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki is considered the Walt Disney of Japan, even though he's not thrilled about the title. Tezuka is sometimes known as the God of Anime (or is it Manga) for obvious reasons.
Hotaru's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I have seen it used for both. since Tezuka(aka god/father of manga) was the pioneer, it applies to him; and since Miyazaki(aka god of animation) is their most famous/renouned animators, it applies to him as well.
Ferquin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Pioneer-wise, I would say Tezuka, but his title is "God of Manga" so you usually wouldn't hear Tezuka referred to as Disney-esque. Today, it's usually applied to Miyazaki because of more family-friendly nature of some of his work (i.e. Totoro, Kiki, etc.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Case

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:32 am Reply with quote
I have never heard Tezuka called the Disney of Japan.

Walt Disney was a great of animation. Hayao Miyazaki is the same. Osamu Tezuka was not - he mostly drew comic books.

(He was involved in the opening of the now-departed animation studio called Mushi Pro, IIRC, but I don't think he was involved enough or produced enough work for him to be considered a great in the field. Think about it, can YOU name an animated film that he helped produce, aside from the original concepts generated in his manga?)

Hence:

Hayao Miyazaki - "The Walt Disney of Japan"

Osamu Tezuka - "The God of Manga"
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:46 am Reply with quote
Here's a question that popped into my head while reading this thread:

If Miyazaki is the "Walt Disney of Anime," that implies that he runs along the same lines of prolificity and quality, etc as old Walt, right? But a lot of people say that Disney rips off Miyazaki stuff. So if contemporary Disney is like Miyazaki, which has the same quality and stuff as Walt-- wouldn't that mean that nowadays Disney stuff is quality?

Or does that only apply to Miyazaki because modern Disney is supposed to "rip him off?"

So I guess that leads me to another question:
Let's say someone made some genius masterpiece film about, say, a kid on a bicycle that finds the meaning of life or something (whatever). If someone else comes along and uses that same theme except done a different way, but equally ingenius, would they therefore be dismissed as "knockoffs?" Or would they retain their level of quality?

I'm not even sure if what I just said makes any sense at all, but if anyone has any light to shed on this, I'd love to hear it.
nagash

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:25 am Reply with quote
I believe it's Miyazaki who's referred to as the Walt Disney of Japan, but I remember reading an interview with Tezuka where he said his art style was influenced by Disney (the eyes, especially).
Slim Shinji
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:44 am Reply with quote
Personally I'd liken Tezuka more to Winsor McCay than Walt Disney. Like McCay, Tezuka was also an immensely successful comic artist, his earliest animated works were based on his comic creations (Astroboy, Little Nemo), and he was the first significant animator in his country.
Ferquin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Very good observation!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:18 pm Reply with quote
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22disney+of+japan%22

it has listings of both.

does anyone know why Miyazaki hated it?
Grive

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:48 am Reply with quote
Case wrote:
I have never heard Tezuka called the Disney of Japan.

Walt Disney was a great of animation. Hayao Miyazaki is the same. Osamu Tezuka was not - he mostly drew comic books.

(He was involved in the opening of the now-departed animation studio called Mushi Pro, IIRC, but I don't think he was involved enough or produced enough work for him to be considered a great in the field. Think about it, can YOU name an animated film that he helped produce, aside from the original concepts generated in his manga?)

Hence:

Hayao Miyazaki - "The Walt Disney of Japan"

Osamu Tezuka - "The God of Manga"

Well, original concepts of his manga should be considered too, since he did create them. tetsuwan atom was the first serialized TV anime with recurring characters, and Jungle Taitei the first color anime. I recall Disney did the first color cartoon in the US? or am I wrong?.

But to answer your question:

- Tale of the White Serpent, with Toei. Was the inspiration for Dragon Ball.
- Broken down, a short film.
- Pictures at an Exhibition, another short film.
- The Unico films. I don't remember off the top of my head if there was a manga before.

And that's what I can remember right now. Anyway; Yes, Tezuka is considered the "God of Manga", mainly because he shaped the evolutive path of manga.
Case

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Grive wrote:
Well, original concepts of his manga should be considered too, since he did create them. tetsuwan atom was the first serialized TV anime with recurring characters, and Jungle Taitei the first color anime. I recall Disney did the first color cartoon in the US? or am I wrong?.

Disney did Steamboat Willie and worked up from there to play a major hand in shaping today's animation industry.

However... He worked entirely in animation production, according to everything I've ever read. He certainly didn't make a living drawing comic books whose conventions could then be applied to animation. That's the difference between the two men that I was pointint out. Tezuka's most famous works were printed, not filmed.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Can't Hayao Miyazaki be described more accurately as the "Ben Sharpsteen of Japan" or the "Hamilton Luske of Japan", since, in the feature era, Walt Disney himself was more of a producer than a director?

Also... anyone know who the "Walt Disney of France" is? I remember borrowing this film in the 1980s about this kid that goes to the land of bees and the back of the box called the director "The Walt Disney of France", but, for the life of me, I can't remember the name of the director nor the name of the film, and, yes, I've done Google searches for both "Walt Disney of France" and "Land of the Bees" and found nada relevant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Slim Shinji
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Can't Hayao Miyazaki be described more accurately as the "Ben Sharpsteen of Japan" or the "Hamilton Luske of Japan", since, in the feature era, Walt Disney himself was more of a producer than a director?

I think that's part of the reason Miyazaki doesn't like the title, but Ben Sharpsteen or Ham Luske don't really fit his bill either. I'd liken Miyazaki more to Richard Williams than anyone else, but even that doesn't quite do him justice. Not that Richard Williams isn't an animation genius...Miyazaki's just in a class of his own.

As for the "Walt Disney of France"......Rene Laloux, maybe?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2