• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bootleggers Boot Legitimate Products from China

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erufu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This is just funny.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:
Wow. This is just funny.

What's so funny about it? This is just sad, seeing as how bootlegs can affectlegimate product. And you thought that bootlegs were good.
spider-moose

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:32 pm Reply with quote
more japanese companies should start suing the bootleggers

one main thing I hate ordering from china for one reason, things I thought were legit, ended up being bootleg, sometimes its easy to tell sometimes its hard

but almost all dvds and vcds and vhs thats out in china are bootlegs for anime
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:50 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Erufu wrote:
Wow. This is just funny.

What's so funny about it? This is just sad, seeing as how bootlegs can affectlegimate product. And you thought that bootlegs were good.

Yeah, I agree it's sad but I admit that it is a little funny.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah Shin-chan is also popular here in Taiwan.

Can someone clarify what exactly happened. I'm a little confused.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
spider-moose wrote:
more japanese companies should start suing the bootleggers

As I understand it, it's a matter of resources, as they can't afford to track down every bootlegger and fansubber out there, so they have to go after the most harmful ones.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Ranmah wrote:

Can someone clarify what exactly happened. I'm a little confused.

What happened is, Futaba (the company that publishes Shin-chan) had to pull Shin-chan merchandise off of the shelves, because a bootlegger had registered a Shin-chan trademark (I would assume before Futaba did) and then registered a complaint of trademark infringement when Futaba started shelving the legit merchandise.

It would be like me registering the McDonald's trademark in some country (and opening a store selling lower quality Big Macs and the like) and then suing McDonald's when they came in and tried to build a store.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:06 pm Reply with quote
ah, I understand now.

Well in any case I think the bootleggers should remove their stuff regardless. I think it is highly unlikly that creator gave his permission to have the Chinese company sell his stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Razorlight6

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I think this recent ANN article warrants reposting. Laughing

Quote:
posted on 2005-02-11 14:09:09
source: アニメ !

Chinese government aims to have Chinese-produced animation acquire the majority of the domestic market and increased international market share

According to Shinka News Net Japan the Chinese government's Ministry of Culture has started working on adjustements to Chinese law that will promote growth of the animation, comic-book and gaming industries. Using money from the national budget, the government aims to have Chinese animation acquire a majority share of the national market and enlarge its share in the international market over a period of 3 to 5 years.

The six main goals of the ministry are as follows:

1. Adjustment to the market environment to aid the growth of the animation and gaming industries through legal and political measures;
2. Increase the share of Chinese original animations in the domestic market. Acquire a share of the international market;
3. Promotion of anime and games suited for minors;
4. Incubation of the industry, construction of business park for animation and gaming companies;
5. Stricter import criteria, introduction of superior international games; preventing the import of goods that are unfit for the country;
6. Introduction of animation and gaming exhibits and fairs.

All together now!

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
deathbringer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:35 pm Reply with quote
This is insanely stupid. If you were commiting a crime like making bootlegs, why the hell would you call attention to yourself by doing something like suing someone? Yeah, make sure to get the law involved. Dumbass.
Maceart

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
It's China. Copyright doesn't exist there.

Now in Taiwan, however, we bootleg with style!
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Razorlight, I don't understand what you're trying to say.

This almost has an underlying odor of flag-waving.
hkrok76

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote
wow....china is starting to leave a really bad taste in my mouth...they're pretty much saying, we're making it harder for competition to come into our country. Hahaha. Oh well.
silentjay

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:12 am Reply with quote
hkrok76 wrote:
wow....china is starting to leave a really bad taste in my mouth...they're pretty much saying, we're making it harder for competition to come into our country. Hahaha. Oh well.

It, uh, is a Communist country, y'know. Smile The reason for the protection of local copyrights, and there are copyrights in China, is that all facets of the local entertainment industry are on the verge of collapsing due to the combination of rampant piracy and foreign competition. Basically, they're limiting competition of foreign sources to repair and support the homegrown industry. It's been reported as a temporary measure, but Hollywood has been grumbling about it for the past few months since the Chinese gov't announced their plans.

I honestly suggest people dig deeper into the issues plaguing the Chinese entertainment industry, as it's almost the worst case scenario of what sort of damage piracy can do. Ringo Lam was interviewed a few years back, just prior the late-90s HK production boom, about the effects of piracy on his movies, and it was really dire stuff.

That said, the Shin-chan story is amusing in an ironic "fire station burns down" sort of way.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:21 am Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:
This is insanely stupid. If you were commiting a crime like making bootlegs, why the hell would you call attention to yourself by doing something like suing someone? Yeah, make sure to get the law involved. Dumbass.

They probably don't think they are stealing. I wouldn't know not being inside the brain of a bootlegger, but their opinion must be that thay are the ones burning DVD's (inferior as they may be), advertising, and selling their product, so they should have a right to protect themselves. Now anyone would look in from the outside and say that they were stealing, but people do not always think logically like that, now do they.

And on a completely unrelated note.
Kazuki-san wrote:
opening a store selling lower quality Big Macs and the like

Wait, lower quality than the horse meat they use now? Is that even possible?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4