• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Shonen Jump Print Magazine to End Next March

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Not really shocked, given the current business models, but it'd be nicer if they were able to offset the loss with new titles.
nyce1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I've gone through every comment so far in this forum and and to me it seems like there is alot of techno phobia going on this to me is great news here are the reasons why
1. we will be caught up to naruto, bleach and bakuman within 2 weeks which is much better than the current staus quo
2. the price point is perfect and 48 issues a yr is way better than the current 12
3. there will now be 6 manga instead of the current 4
5. we are being given a 2nd digital service to catch up to the current issues.
6. i guarantee alot of people who are in this forum who admittedly read manga online and this doesnt change infact it leads my next point
7. this is the best way to Combat digital piracy and fan subs and may very well save manga in this country.

8. digital media IS the way of the future itunes has proven this. i understand nostalgia but do you know anyone who would rather use a VHS player over a dvd player. would you rather have a disc man than an ipod. this is the way this is a step in the right direction for any compnay who wants to stay on top in this new world.

for these reasons and many more that i cant think of at the top of my head is why this is a good thing for viz.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote
WAAAAAAAAAAAAT?? Why are the ending the publication? That's garbage!

I've only been a subscriber for about a year and a half.. and it's the only manga I own. JUMP is what got me interested in actually reading manga to begin with... so why are they cancelling publication?!

I don't want to read it online! The times I usually read my issues are when I'm trying to pass time when I'm NOT near a computer... such as in school, waiting for my next class, or during long car rides..

This really sucks...
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
Man, why does everything have to be moved over to digital these days? I wouldn't be surprised if VIZ does this same thing with their manga volumes within the next 10 years. Maybe sooner. It's sad really. It just isn't the same as holding paperback books. Nothing like the smell of a new book/magazine! Sigh, oh well. As the saying goes, all good things eventually come to an end.
R.G.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
nyce1 wrote:
I've gone through every comment so far in this forum and and to me it seems like there is alot of techno phobia going on this to me is great news here are the reasons why
1. we will be caught up to naruto, bleach and bakuman within 2 weeks which is much better than the current staus quo
2. the price point is perfect and 48 issues a yr is way better than the current 12
6. i guarantee alot of people who are in this forum who admittedly read manga online and this doesnt change infact it leads my next point
7. this is the best way to Combat digital piracy and fan subs and may very well save manga in this country.

8. digital media IS the way of the future itunes has proven this. i understand nostalgia but do you know anyone who would rather use a VHS player over a dvd player. would you rather have a disc man than an ipod. this is the way this is a step in the right direction for any compnay who wants to stay on top in this new world.

for these reasons and many more that i can't think of at the top of my head is why this is a good thing for viz.

Too bad you're probably the ONLY one who feels that way. Everybody else thinks the whole thing just sucks.This is more than mere technophobia.

Much more.
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:13 am Reply with quote
Wow. Shit, man. I have copies--old ass copies--of Shounen Jump when it first was issued. This magazine got me into so many things, like Naruto and One Piece. I don't think my faith in OP would have been restored if not for this magazine.

I like the feel of having my manga in my hands. I collect manga, it's one of the few things I can collect that's not expensive or hard to come by. And now they're pulling the publication? That's just not right.

Way to go, Viz.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
detectiveai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
nyce1 wrote:

for these reasons and many more that i can't think of at the top of my head is why this is a good thing for viz.

Too bad you're probably the ONLY one who feels that way. Everybody else thinks the whole thing just sucks.This is more than mere technophobia.

Much more.

It is. Like someone else put, computers can crash/break down. So then you lose everything on it. It's one of the reasons I hate downloading movies/books.

Also, these magazines were accessible and one of the few manga related things you can find in mainstream stores like Walgreen's and Wal-Mart. A lot of kids got into manga via SJ. And honestly, they are fun reads.

I think Viz should've improved it rather than kill it. People just don't like how it's all OP, Naruto, and Bleach...well, mostly Naruto since he's pretty much always on the cover. But maybe if they'd added more titles, given away better freebies (like pens, keychains, etc), and had more interesting articles then more people would buy 'em.
dlian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
nyce1 wrote:

Yes, yes, yes. Anytime someone doesn't want to throw their wallet at the latest technology they are obviously a luddite or are being overly nostalgic. The printed word has been around for a few hundred years. It has long proven its reliability and usefulness. Digital media is still in its infancy, comparitvely. There is no current one standard for electronic publication. There is no current one standard for e-reader either. They still can't even make up their mind about just the screen type for an e-reader. There is no one standard marketplace or pricing structure. Heck, the publication industry is currently in a fight with libraries all over the united states over the way libraries offer electronic media they have purchased and how often they pay for it.

Itunes hasn't proven anything about digital media being the wave of the future. They've proven they can be successful at selling music when they control the price point on both ends.

I'm not quite sure how you think that removing the print option is going to reduce digital piracy. I'm not quite sure how removing it from newstands and bookstores and the magazine aisle at walmart is going to improve the popularity or readership of manga.

No I wouldn't rather have a vhs. But I also don't want to buy the betamax or hd-dvd!
Danette-Anime-Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:39 am Reply with quote
Why can Viz have both at once? Have it digital for those who love digital and magazines for those who love a magazine in hand. I've always read manga online so Viz doesn't upset me at all but maybe they should keep the magazine going for a while still and end it if magazine sales signifigantly decrease because of having the manga online.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote
nyce1 wrote:

While the responses to this quote have been good so far, I just wanted to add my two cents.

This isn't about nostalgia or technophobia, it's about a reading preference, like picking chocolate ice cream over vanilla. Want a better analogy? How about preferring to watch anime on DVD or Blu-Ray over online streaming (physical vs. internet)? And besides, it's not like us long-time Shonen Jump subscribers are 100% against online manga. I've read my fair share of manga digitally, especially if it's something that'll never get licensed. But I PREFER to read it in print if I can. In fact I'd be willing to PAY MONEY for a PREFERENCE. Shonen Jump was a great way to get manga in the mail or from an average store and we'll remember it as a great thing that we wish only lasted longer. I imagine that many of SJ's subscribers will jump onboard with Alpha and it'll be great. But it's not my (and apparently others') PREFERENCE.
nyce1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:23 am Reply with quote
To the one who said I am the only who feels this way it is certainly not true I have discussed this heavily tOday among other reader of manga and nearly all of them agree with the validity of the arguments I posted here. I agree the print medium was important but as we move closer to the digital era the practice of magazines going digital is important it may well be the only way to save magazines and newspapers and even comic books all of which are suffering from LOW READERSHIP due news and media coming out much faster than print media.

As far as computers breaking and so forth viz uses what's called a cloud based server which means even if your pc breaks down or ur e reader breaks viz remembers your purchases and allows you to redownload your manga free of charge simply login to your account and redownload so you needent worry about that also the viz browser is so beautiful and easy to use its just and the images are much higher quality than the pale version making for an easier read.

And I should have stated earlier that I am Also a subscriber and this does affect me very much but I also am willing to embrace this because I can see the benefits.

The print version ending was inevitable print media is so very expensive and they Could not afford to pro t WSJ weekly in America not only that but retail outlets wouldn't have the shelf space to accomadate them all meaning the overstock would be thrown out and mean a loss of revenue for the the retailer. with this new method we are also being caught up to Japan and doing it an an extremely reasonable price. And 48 vs 12 sounds much better to me

As far a preference I understand liking one over another but given that fact that ereaders are becoming much more affordable who's to say preferences won't change after all a perefence is based off an opinion and opinions are subject to change.

Piracy when people have a good option i find them less likely to steal and are willing to pay for things choosing to buy them. Piracy is a never ending battle but it's nice to have a way to combat it even if it's the slightest iTunes really saved the music industry making music affordable and easy.

And finally I think people took my usage of technophobia was taken too literally obviously if the people here were truly technophobic they would not be in this forum but this is a form a slight form. but none of you truly saw the value of any of my points which I think is a shame. I truly think that this is a good idea and yes I am sad to see sj end I've been reading since issue 2 but I think this is a way to survive and thrive in an ever evolving world where technology is becoming more and more readily available please members of the forum don't discount this method of media give it a chance and if you still dislike then feel free to message me I will be glad to hear you out. I think this is a great method and I will support it.
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:29 am Reply with quote
So many of you seem to think you are entitled to having physical copies of this publication despite the fact that Viz is obviously not profiting from it. Rather than criticizing Viz, perhaps you should take a look at the consumers. There are plenty of things to dislike about this publisher, but its decision to move to a more affordable medium after YOU, the consumer, failed to meet its expectations is not one of them.
nyce1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote
One more point with a strong online marketing campaign viz. an very well attract new readers wtith as often as people especially the younger generations spend online on Facebook and so forth they really have an opportunity to brig manga into many more homes. End of the day a choice has to be made. Also I think someone argued the poi t of standards there are many mp3 players and many brands of DVD players even computers i don't think standards apply as long as you have a the outlets. Also this isn't just readable on ereaders it's also on p s and macs. It talked long though and I just got back from a club so I'm tired. But I look forward to more comments tomoro goodnight all
nyce1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote
One more point with a strong online marketing campaign viz. an very well attract new readers wtith as often as people especially the younger generations spend online on Facebook and so forth they really have an opportunity to brig manga into many more homes. End of the day a choice has to be made. Also I think someone argued the poi t of standards there are many mp3 players and many brands of DVD players even computers i don't think standards apply as long as you have a the outlets. Also this isn't just readable on ereaders it's also on p s and macs. It talked long though and I just got back from a club so I'm tired. But I look forward to more comments tomoro goodnight all
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6