• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bad Teacher's Equation GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. This manga actually made the Best Grown Up Manga List for 2011 at Deb Aoki's SDCC panel. It was recommended by a YA librarian, I think. I believe she said the first volume was pretty bad, but it supposedly gets much better in the second volume (it's a 2 vol. in 1 omnibus, according to Amazon's reviews, which are also extremely favorable)? Not sure what to think now.
Sampatches

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't re-read the beginning in almost 7 years, I forgot how badly it started out! The series does start to get a lot better around the original Japanese volume 3 (I'm guessing start of the omnibus volume 2), when it starts focusing on Masayoshi, Masami and Toru's teenage years and more character development in general.
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow, and this is one of my favorite BL stories. It probably helped that I marathoned all 10 volumes in scanlation form over the course of 2 evenings, so I got past the awkward beginnings (and yeah, it does start out kind of a mess, both story- and art-wise) right quick. At first the art was a huge turnoff but there was just enough of the story to get me past that and I was soon hooked on the story. By the end of the series, I wouldn't have even recognized certain characters the art had evolved (for the better) so greatly.

So anyway, having read all of it already, I was ecstatic to hear it had been licensed because I know how good it gets. I hope nobody who's otherwise open to the BL genre will get turned off by this review though I do understand that it's just a review of this first part which, yeah, doesn't really stand alone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
Ok, this is sounding much more promising now. So it just has a very weak/bad beginning, and then improves greatly from there. I just have to make it through the first volume.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:00 am Reply with quote
Oh, I am SO glad to hear that this gets better! I love Border and enjoy Kizuna quite a bit, so I was very sad that I couldn't give this volume a better review. I'll have to give the series another go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1