• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Variety: Warner to Decide on Live-Action Akira Next Week

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Feist has a really good album. It's called "Let it Die." Laughing
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I think I might start giving a damn. Just give me three weeks.
MagusGuardian

they're still trying to do the damn remake? ffs they should just give it up already cause for one fans of the original manga and movie will Not like it and another thing is most people who will watch it probably wouldn't even know what the source material is after all the edits and changes. quit beating a dead horse warner brothers the stick is broken and the horse is a skeleton now so there's nothing to really beat on
mic911911

Here comes the next film in a long line of live-action adaptations for anime. Do they not understand that the reasons people like the film is the neo tokyo cityscape, not New York
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
mic911911 wrote:
Here comes the next film in a long line of live-action adaptations for anime. Do they not understand that the reasons people like the film is the neo tokyo cityscape, not New York

And here I was under the impression that people like because of the story and characters...
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Well he did have an "s" in "reasons"...so perhaps setting is one of multiple reasons.

As for story...after watching whatshisname's(the guy whose son starred in the Karate Kid remake) I Am Legend remake, I don't trust Hollywood with story ever again. EVER. (emphasis on EVER)

And the characters will be different too. Knowing Hollywood, they'll probably be played by white actors, and they'll be born in different settings, hence they'll be different characters.

Luckily....I never really got into Akira all that much, so it wouldn't be that frustrating. But if such garbage does do well in the box office, then they'll be encouraged to adapt more series. So what other anime does Hollywood plan to adapt?
EricDent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:43 am Reply with quote
Well let's see, here are some of the rumored live action or CGI movies based on anime that were or are being tossed around Hollywood.

Cowboy Bebop (with Keanu Reeves as Spike)
Robotech
Battle Angel Atilla
Voltron
Gatchaman (cancelled but was going to be CGI)
Evangellion (ADV/Sentai still claims its in development)
Death Note

Anyhow I hope WB figures out that no matter what the budget is this movie won't work as live action. No matter how many parts you make it. Plus you know they will have known actors who are way too old (Keanu was rumored to be either Tetsuo or Kanada before he walked away) to do the roles.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
So what other anime does Hollywood plan to adapt?

Bleach, Death Note, and Cowboy Bebop are some of the bigger titles.

We haven't heard anything about Bleach since it was announced. Death Note has had some progress since the announcment however we haven't heard anything for the past few months. Cowboy Bebop is the most likely of these to actually happen, and has a finished script and a good bit of pre-production work has been done. But I heard the studio halted production, at least temporarily, due to concerns that the budget would be too high. And, according to some interviews I read, its still faithful to the source material, since there wasn't anything too Japanese-y in it to begin with.

Oh, and Fruits Basket Laughing

I'm sure theres afew others as well that I'm missing...
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:13 am Reply with quote
double: They didn't officially announce a Bleach movie, only that studios were interested in one.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:20 am Reply with quote
Man... I'm starting to think there are only a hand full of people, including myself, in the anime community who thinks this movie will be good. =/

@doubleO7, @EricDent, and @Gon*Gon

I think there's also a CGI Ghost in the Shell being planned. Steven Spielberg got Dreamworks to get the rights to it.
anemayfan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:33 am Reply with quote
I'm still patiently waiting for Battle Angel Alita. I hope J.Cameron takes the success and tech from Avatar and rolls it into a good adaptation.

Hollywood has run out of ideas which is why they are turning to sources like books, comics, manga, and anime. Personally, I actually like that they're trying to adapt these other media into movies. I just wish they would put more time and effort into these projects and try to capture the essence of what makes them popular instead of just making them special effects with minor character development and a weak story.
Jure

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
fans of the original manga and movie will Not like it
And you know that because...? I am a fan of Akira manga and film and I hope they finally go with this. I would love to see this movie made.

Quote:
most people who will watch it probably wouldn't even know what the source material is after all the edits and changes
I don't really see a problem here.

Quote:
And the characters will be different too. Knowing Hollywood, they'll probably be played by white actors, and they'll be born in different settings, hence they'll be different characters.
Again, I don't see a problem here. Why does it matter if they change the location to Manhatan instead of Tokyo? Why does it matter if they change the names and race of characters?
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:44 am Reply with quote
I remember I was actually pretty excited for an Evangelion movie, but then they came out with the epic (so far anyway) animated ones so I was like "lol nevermind there's no point in doing live action now Anime hyper"

As for Akira...I just hope it doesn't get white-washed, or get turned into that Dragon Ball Z movie Neutral

Also I hope Keanu doesn't play Spike if they make a cowboy bebop movie. They need someone slick & cool (and y'know...kinda hot) instead like "woah"....y'know?
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:00 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
mic911911 wrote:

And here I was under the impression that people like because of the story and characters...

Jure wrote:
Again, I don't see a problem here. Why does it matter if they change the location to Manhatan instead of Tokyo? Why does it matter if they change the names and race of characters?

Well, the setting, environment, culture are also a part of the story and characters. I actually don't mind if they adapt it to a different setting. They're going to have to rewrite a ton of stuff if they don't want to leave many loose ends anyways. But then they should be calling it an alternate or side story, which would give them more freedom, as opposed to marketing it as the movie verion of Akira. I mean if it's using non-Japanese characters in an American city why not just call it "Alfred" or something Very Happy
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
The film can indeed work in live-action. It's just that they don't have the balls to do it. Doing it right requires a lot of expense. But doing it right also requires hitting an R rating. Studios these days aren't interested in spending that kind of money unless it's PG-13. The scale of the film requires immense city shots and sets done in CG. Not to mention they're definately gunning for 3-D, so that's more intensive CG investment time and money. The spectacle of Akira doesn't come cheap.

And of course they ought to be splitting the story into at least 2 or 3 films. Which Leo said was their intention for adapting the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2