• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How to Submit Series Relations.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
A post from the General Questions / Identifying Anime thread has made me realize that Kenyuu Densetsu Yaiba (TV) is an adaptation of Yaiba (manga).

Also, while I am posting here, I was still hoping that someone could link up the anime in the Machine Robo franchise, which I last posted about here. I think Leina: Wolf Sword Legend (OAV) should be listed as a spinoff of Machine Robo: Revenge of Chronos (TV), while I think Lightning Trap - Leina & Laika (OAV) should be a spinoff of Leina: Wolf Sword Legend. If you need an additional source saying that they are related, The Anime Encyclopedia, Revised and Expanded Edition, page 385 lists them as related (in the entry for Machine Robo). Also, Shutsugeki! Machine Robo Rescue (TV) should probably have some sort of link to the rest of the franchise. Sorry to keep posting about this over and over, but my thought was that my previous posts were just missed.

Also, while I am mentioning previous posts in this thread, I also was still hoping someone could link the Sherlock Hound movie and TV series (see this post). It is unclear to me what the relationship between them should be though (see that post for an explanation).
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:33 am Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
A post from the General Questions / Identifying Anime thread has made me realize that Kenyuu Densetsu Yaiba (TV) is an adaptation of Yaiba (manga).

Done.

Calathan wrote:
Also, while I am posting here, I was still hoping that someone could link up the anime in the Machine Robo franchise, which I last posted about here. I think Leina: Wolf Sword Legend (OAV) should be listed as a spinoff of Machine Robo: Revenge of Chronos (TV), while I think Lightning Trap - Leina & Laika (OAV) should be a spinoff of Leina: Wolf Sword Legend. If you need an additional source saying that they are related, The Anime Encyclopedia, Revised and Expanded Edition, page 385 lists them as related (in the entry for Machine Robo). Also, Shutsugeki! Machine Robo Rescue (TV) should probably have some sort of link to the rest of the franchise. Sorry to keep posting about this over and over, but my thought was that my previous posts were just missed.

Hmm, this requires some studying, as their relationships are not evident with just a glance.

Calathan wrote:
Also, while I am mentioning previous posts in this thread, I also was still hoping someone could link the Sherlock Hound movie and TV series (see this post). It is unclear to me what the relationship between them should be though (see that post for an explanation).

Linked and added a picture, but another problem surfaced: the first movie is a two-parter: Aoi Ruby no Maki ("Blue Ruby" chapter) and Kaitei no Zaihō no Maki ("Treasure at the Bottom of the Ocean" chapter). Same applies to the second movie (adding now). Compared with more "discrete" titles e.g. Kara no Kyoukai, Sherlock Hound movie(s) are more "continuous" so I'll keep them under one entry for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
Thanks for working on these, Dormcat.

The only part of the Machine Robo franchise that I've actually seen is Lightning Trap - Leina and Laika. It makes no mention of the transforming robots or the Wolf Sword or anything else from the previous parts of the franchise, and there is no indication in it that Leina is anything other than a normal girl. However, it may be intended to be set during or after Wolf Sword Legend and just not mention anything about it, so it could possibly be a sequel or side story.

For Wolf Sword Legend, my understanding from what I have read is that the characters of Leina and Rom cross into another dimension and become human after Revenge of Chronos. My impression is that Wolf Sword Legend is intended to be about the same Leina from Revenge of Chronos, so in that sense it could be considered a sequel. I was suggesting that it be called a spinoff because it sounds like it takes the same character from Revenge of Chronos but puts her in a completely different world. However, since it sounds like the transition between worlds might occur as part of the plot, maybe sequel is a better relationship (without having watched either Revenge of Chronos or Wolf Sword Legend, I can't really be sure). I definitely think Wolf Sword Legend should be linked up to Revenge of Chronos and not Battlehackers, since I don't think Leina appears in Battlehackers (or at least that is my impression).

For Machine Robo Rescue, I think the only connection to the other Machine Robo anime is that they are based on the same toy line.
domino

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Currently that movie is set as the sequel of another movie which is "related to" the manga. Should there be a more direct connection with the TV series than a common ancestor? I know absolutely nothing about the series, other than it having something to do with tennis.

The TV series likes to go off on its own weird adventures that stray from the manga. The movies are original stories that are absolutely ridiculous so I guess the movies are related to the TV series and manga on an equal level (or maybe more related to the TV series just because the TV series is similarly prone to straying from the original comic and into insanity).

Not sure how the encyclopedia usually does this kind of thing where there isn't really a timeline. Shonen Jump series' movies are usually some original story floating off on its own (like the Naruto movies), like a 2-hour filler episode.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:25 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
Not sure how the encyclopedia usually does this kind of thing where there isn't really a timeline. Shonen Jump series' movies are usually some original story floating off on its own (like the Naruto movies), like a 2-hour filler episode.

We have side story (happens alongside the "parent" show but with no specific timeline difference) and spinoff (focused on side characters and/or with a very different background setting e.g. a parody)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
rti9

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos is a side-story of Fullmetal Alchemist. The tricky part is that it probably works as a side-story for both the 2003 and the 2009 TV series. I only watched the first show and I'm not sure if the 2011 movie has some sort of detail that connects exclusively to Brotherhood. Even if it did, someone like me can understand the movie perfectly well since it is a complete story on its own. The brothers Elric go somewhere to investigate and meet new people. spoiler[Stuff happens, then they leave.]

Maybe someone who watched both the new movie and Brotherhood could make a comment.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos is a side-story of Fullmetal Alchemist. The tricky part is that it probably works as a side-story for both the 2003 and the 2009 TV series. I only watched the first show and I'm not sure if the 2011 movie has some sort of detail that connects exclusively to Brotherhood. Even if it did, someone like me can understand the movie perfectly well since it is a complete story on its own. The brothers Elric go somewhere to investigate and meet new people. spoiler[Stuff happens, then they leave.]

Maybe someone who watched both the new movie and Brotherhood could make a comment.

I watched the movie and Brotherhood. I think one thing that would make it have to go with Brotherhood is that spoiler[Alphonse can use alchemy without a transmutation circle. If I'm remembering correctly, he wasn't able to do that in the first anime (or at least not before getting his body back . . . I'm thinking maybe he could in Conqueror of Shamballa).]
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:54 am Reply with quote
I changed the relationship of Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos to Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) from "related" to "side story".
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the new movie yet, but seeing as how it was created specifically as a companion to Brotherhood, I don't think it should be attached as related directly to the first series, even if it could fit, story-wise.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
Kodomo no Jikan ~ Kodomo no Natsu Jikan ~ needs some sort of link to the rest of the franchise. I haven't watched it, but based on the descriptions on the ANN encyclopedia pages, in Kodomo no Jikan Nigakki the characters are in 4th grade while in Kodomo no Jikan ~ Kodomo no Natsu Jikan ~ they are in 5th grade. As such, I think Kodomo no Jikan ~ Kodomo no Natsu Jikan ~ should be listed as a sequel to Kodomo no Jikan Nigakki.

Also, someone has listed Kodomo no Natsu Jikan on the episode list for Kodomo no Jikan Nigakki. I think it is correct for it to have its own entry in the encyclopedia since it was produced a couple years later, so I think it should be removed from the episode listing there.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:45 am Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
Kodomo no Jikan ~ Kodomo no Natsu Jikan ~ needs some sort of link to the rest of the franchise. I haven't watched it, but based on the descriptions on the ANN encyclopedia pages, in Kodomo no Jikan Nigakki the characters are in 4th grade while in Kodomo no Jikan ~ Kodomo no Natsu Jikan ~ they are in 5th grade. As such, I think Kodomo no Jikan ~ Kodomo no Natsu Jikan ~ should be listed as a sequel to Kodomo no Jikan Nigakki.

Also, someone has listed Kodomo no Natsu Jikan on the episode list for Kodomo no Jikan Nigakki. I think it is correct for it to have its own entry in the encyclopedia since it was produced a couple years later, so I think it should be removed from the episode listing there.

All fixed; thanks for reporting.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Calathan wrote:

All fixed; thanks for reporting.

Thanks for fixing this.

I've just noticed that Kodomo no Natsu Jikan is also listed on the release page for Kodomo no Jikan Nigakki, so it needs to be removed from there too. I'm sorry I didn't notice that before or I would have mentioned that in my previous post.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I just watched Redline, and noticed that the main characters from Trava are one of the racing teams competing in the Redline race. There should probably be some sort of link between the two. It isn't entirely clear if they are set in the same universe, or if the characters in Redline are alternate versions of the characters from Trava. In Trava, I think they were planning on entering some sort of fighting tournament as opposed to a race, but that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't intended to be the same version of the characters. I could see the characters as they appear in Trava deciding to participate in a race like the one in Redline. Maybe "spinoff" would be the best link for them, but I'm not really sure.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
I just watched Redline, and noticed that the main characters from Trava are one of the racing teams competing in the Redline race. There should probably be some sort of link between the two. It isn't entirely clear if they are set in the same universe, or if the characters in Redline are alternate versions of the characters from Trava.

I found this Twitter thread with director Takeshi Koike himself mentioning Trava was set 10 years after Redline (not sure if "TRAVE" was only a typo or intended). If that's true then Redline would become a prequel of Trava; however, before more info can be acquired I'd mark them as "related" for now.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:33 am Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
I've just noticed that Kodomo no Natsu Jikan is also listed on the release page for Kodomo no Jikan Nigakki, so it needs to be removed from there too. I'm sorry I didn't notice that before or I would have mentioned that in my previous post.

Someone else fixed this; I thought you should know. In the future, if you have not already posted about it (such as you have done here), you can submit the correct info in the correct entry yourself, and enter an error report for the incorrect info.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 26