• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Manga and Mega Comics

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mega Comics has the worst translations I've read in nearly 20 years of reading manga

To be fair, it does contain the thing you want to know. That sort of information doesn't come cheap.

I think this is my favourite House of 1000 Manga yet. The manga world is truly stranger than I had ever guessed.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Great article - Manga is one of my holy grails but I've never seen it for sale at any price and I've never been able to find out what sort of quantity it was produced in. I presume there must be at least a few hundred copies floating around out there.

Quote:
He also collaborated with a Western writer, Sharman DiVono, in the 1987 one-shot Samurai: Son of Death, a book whose failure is entirely due to DiVono attempting to cram about 200 pages of story into 48 pages.

Amen to that. Satsuma Gishiden is the best samurai comic I've ever read, Samurai: Son of Death may well be the worst. Pretty pictures though.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Manga's publication date, etc.: Fred Patten includes it in his "Fifteen Years of Japanese Animation Fandom, 1977–92" (Watching Anime, Reading Manga: 25 Years of Essays and Reviews, p. 30—the July 1982 entry), though is not diffinitive. (Mile High Comics has it in near mint for $60 plus shipping.)

Contrary to Moomintroll, I've had a copy for years—it's one of the prides of my collection. OTOH, I've only seen one copy of Mega Comics—about ten to fifteen years ago at my local club—and it is one of my own holy grails.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:20 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Mile High Comics has it in near mint for $60 plus shipping.

Aargh! I think I need a few moments to recover my equilibrium. I couldn't find it when I looked it up on Mile High a few months ago (the publisher doesn't appear in their lists) and now you tell me this. A week after they remove book-length comics from their current 65% off sale. It could have been mine for $21! Sob.

This is all Jason Thompson's fault for not posting this article a fortnight ago. Do you think I can sue him for the other $39? Wink
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:11 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:
Mile High Comics has it in near mint for $60 plus shipping.

Aargh! I think I need a few moments to recover my equilibrium. I couldn't find it when I looked it up on Mile High a few months ago (the publisher doesn't appear in their lists) and now you tell me this. A week after they remove book-length comics from their current 65% off sale. It could have been mine for $21! Sob.

I searched for the title "manga" (Title Begins With); publisher: Other Independent; Sort Options: View Alphabetically.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
This is all Jason Thompson's fault for not posting this article a fortnight ago. Do you think I can sue him for the other $39? Wink

Not me! Sue "Metro Scope"! -_-;; It was their fault for not keeping the manga in print! Why, it's even flipped left-to-right!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1