• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haibane Renmei (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
radicaledward wrote:
What is the final verdict on the dreams anyway, did all of the main characters in Haibane spoiler[commit suicide?] Also, does anyone know how the young feathers got there, or is it the equivalent to purgatory for them?

I think it's both spoiler[suicide and unfulfilled deaths. The Young Feathers are likely young children who died without fully understanding why and possibly not deserving it. Abuse, neglect, being caught up in the middle of something they couldn't quite grasp, that sort of thing.]

Well, I thought so too, at first - however, after a while I realised that there was a different explanation for the children's presence. I've adressed this issue previously, in this post.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Red Recluse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I recently finished Haruki Murakami's "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World", the book of which partially inspired ABe's Haibane Renmei. I just wanted to see how many others had both read Murakami's book and had seen Haibane; and for those that had, what was your take on it?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:52 am Reply with quote
I've read some stuff by Haruki Murakami, but not this one. But fear not: I've ordered it from the Royal Library, and it will be in my hands tomorrow.

I'll get back to this thread once I've read it. You won't have to wait long - I'm a speed reader.

-abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Red Recluse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic! It's starting to look like we may be alone on this thread, though....
bnewhall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:57 am Reply with quote
Is it available in English?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Yes it is - in fact, to speed things up, I've ordered the English version (I read considerably faster in English than in any other language - I can't claim to be a speed reader in Japanese).

Unfortunately, it seems as if the Royal Library (or rather, the lender who currently has it) is dragging its feet. The book has yet to arrive. Murakami's book on the Tokyo subway gas attacks is waiting for me at the branch office, however.

- abunai
bnewhall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Cool! I've added it to my list of books to buy. Thanks!

I'm very curious to see the work that partly inspired Haibane Renmei.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:18 pm Reply with quote
bnewhall wrote:
Cool! I've added it to my list of books to buy. Thanks!

I'm very curious to see the work that partly inspired Haibane Renmei.

If it did. The extent to which it inspired Haibane Renmei is one of the things we're going to be discussing, once we're all up to speed.

- abunai
Red Recluse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote
Well, it started when I stumbled upon this here-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haibane_Renmei
-where it mentions an interview of ABe in Animerica (I haven't read the interview myself).
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
I went to an extremely interesting academic lecture with Marc Hairston where he discussed Haibane Renmei about a year and a half ago; I know he discussed "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World," but I don't remember the exact parallels he drew between the two works... Anime cry Blast you, inept memory!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:01 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I went to an extremely interesting academic lecture with Marc Hairston where he discussed Haibane Renmei about a year and a half ago

He was in U Texas. Did he pay a visit to Minnesota or have moved there (or, instead, you went to Texas for his lecture)? Really want to listen to his lecture, but I don't think I'll have the chance... Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:18 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Did he pay a visit to Minnesota or have moved there (or, instead, you went to Texas for his lecture)? Really want to listen to his lecture, but I don't think I'll have the chance... Anime cry

He travelled to Minnesota. He comes up every year for Anime Detour and MCAD's Schoolgirls and Mobilesuits workshop, and he's good friends with Frenchy Lunning, who lives in St. Paul (and is one of my favorite people in the entire world!) He's a great speaker. I've listened to four of his lectures now, and he's always informative and enthusiastic. As far as I know, he's still at UT in Dallas. I owe a lot to him, actually. He's the reason I first heard about Utena and Nausicaa, two of my all-time favorite heroines.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bnewhall

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:13 pm Reply with quote
ABe stated in an interview on one of the Haibane Renmei DVDs (if I recall correctly) that he wanted to make something with the same feel as that novel. So, clearly, it was an inspiration. The question is, how much of one?
Malroth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Well I guess you'll just have to come to this year's Schoolgirls and Mobilesuits Wink I'd be really surprised if Mark didn't come..his lectures are really interesting.

By the way, Cloe, any word on when the book that Frenchy mentioned last year at/about SGMS is coming out? I haven't heard anything...

Last edited by Malroth on Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Malroth wrote:
...any word on when the book that Frenchie mentioned last year at/about SGMS is coming out? I haven't heard anything...

It's still being worked on. I'm doing illustrations for it, and I haven't heard anything about a deadline yet... Frenchy's an incredibly busy person, though, so I could see this thing rolling into next year. I'll ask her about it when we next meet.

Marc comes up every year; there's no way he won't be here next September. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11