• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Saturday Night Live Spoofs 'J-Pop Talk Show'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I agree that people are getting too uptight about the sketch. I thought it was terribly funny and most of the jokes (especially Mark-sensei's denials) were dead-on. Brainless, rabid fan bases for sports and musicians have been regular targets of SNL ridicule for decades (anyone remember the regular "Da Bears" sketches back 15-20 years ago?), so it's hardly like anime fans and Japanophiles are being singled out here.

People are also making too much of the subject matter. Choosing a really obscure series and well-outdated dubs to make fun up seemed to be the point, and while obviously exaggerated it's not wrong. We certainly have examples around here of people who still use standards for dubs that are 15+ years out of date to justify their dub bashing and fandom is rife with people who obsess over obscure series.

I didn't see anything mean about the way that this was carried out. They were poking fun at something that deserves it and did a pretty good job at it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I-I think I just died a little inside watching this video..
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
*yawn* It's not offensive but it's kinda boring. Confused

SNL should really stick with political satire (of course, I rather watch the Daily Show for that) :/

I honestly rather watch this a million times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5vuzfdmsDo
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote
The only thing that offended me about the video? They had a gold mine for jokes but couldn't make the sketch funny. Crying or Very sad

Oh well. Every so often a modern SNL sketch will make me laugh, but I guess I'm no longer the intended audience for the program.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
So...anyone understand what the "Teeheehee-OOHHH" thing they kept doing was about?
angieness

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I got a good laugh at it as people like this are why I stopped going to anime cons and such. If you haven't ever met someone like this, consider yourself lucky.
superdeformed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
This skit is 100% historically accurate.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:
Eh... I dunno. I get what they were trying to do, but I feel like it would have been funnier if they hadn't hit you in the face with the joke quite as much. But I guess that's a pretty common sin with SNL sketches. I think maybe it would have been funnier if they had been high school kids instead of college students. Most people I know who went through a "weeb phase" grew out of it long before college. Plus that gives you the opportunity to throw in some angst and disapproving parents.

I can't say I ever expected to see a Candy Candy reference on SNL though.

poonk wrote:
It was, however, funny to see the guy trying to pull off the J-idol hair (which was of course a wig, but still). Somehow I don't think twice about seeing that style on idols but when I see it on a caucasian I think, "Well that's unusual." Strange how that is.

To be honest, I think that hairstyle looks stupid on anyone, idols included. It's like being halfway towards growing a mullet.

Oh how wrong you are. Go to any anime convention and you'll see that most the people there are college aged...and weaabooish. it's scary. This was a great spoof purely because of it's accuracy. I don't mind Jpop hair...but visual kei hair i find stupid as hell.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quote
"You are walking a fine line between homage and racism."
-Sensei Mark

Indeed you are Sensei Mark, indeed you are.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
This is funny. I actually have met people like this.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:51 am Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
The only thing that offended me about the video? They had a gold mine for jokes but couldn't make the sketch funny. Crying or Very sad

THIS.

I know they can't go thru alot of material, but for a first effort, it feels it needed a little something special.

The feeling I got from the "guest" was that she's a narcissistic deviantArt b*tch. It sorta ticked the right boxes:

* "Original characters."
* Self-absorbed in their own little world.
* Obsessed with a particular anime/manga series. I mean "Obsessed."
* Shows their love in very bizarre ways (i.e Song, pictures, art, etc).

But I think it failed by not highlighting some additional traits, such as:

* Unable to take criticism, even if it is positive.
* Willing to throw out Legal DMCA threats of "OMG, ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT COPY BAKA!!"
* Has some unhealthy affiliation of a particular character (Imagines themselves to BE the real life character period, some sort of "relationship" with a fictional character......)

....in a sense, make her a Jekyll and Hyde type of character. She looks sweet, but push the right buttons, and she could try to kill you with a box of Pocky. Note how the commentary by "Sensei Mark" is blissfully ignored by the trio. Having "Cherry Cherry Rock and Roll" treat Sensei Mark's commentary as an imaginary threat to her in some way would've added an extra dynamic to the skit.

I do hope thought the writers look into the culture more abit and make more in the future and not make this a one-shot. Make this the "Waynes World" or "Goth Talk" for this cast of skits based on shows on some public access channel. However, I seriously doubt the writers would be able to do it. Pity.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:27 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
RadicaLElly wrote:
Eh... I dunno. I get what they were trying to do, but I feel like it would have been funnier if they hadn't hit you in the face with the joke quite as much. But I guess that's a pretty common sin with SNL sketches. I think maybe it would have been funnier if they had been high school kids instead of college students. Most people I know who went through a "weeb phase" grew out of it long before college. Plus that gives you the opportunity to throw in some angst and disapproving parents.

I can't say I ever expected to see a Candy Candy reference on SNL though.

poonk wrote:
It was, however, funny to see the guy trying to pull off the J-idol hair (which was of course a wig, but still). Somehow I don't think twice about seeing that style on idols but when I see it on a caucasian I think, "Well that's unusual." Strange how that is.

To be honest, I think that hairstyle looks stupid on anyone, idols included. It's like being halfway towards growing a mullet.

Oh how wrong you are. Go to any anime convention and you'll see that most the people there are college aged...and weaabooish. it's scary. This was a great spoof purely because of it's accuracy. I don't mind Jpop hair...but visual kei hair i find stupid as hell.

Actually, at most of the cons I've been to the largest attendance has been among the 12 - 17 age range, and this is the audience that usually displays the most weeaboo behavior. There's still plenty of attendees in the 20 - 30 age range and beyond, but they've become more of the minority. There's always exceptions to the rule and I'm sure there are people who still act like this into their adulthood, but from my personal experience and that of almost anyone else I know who went through a weeaboo phase, it was grown out of before leaving high school.

But I guess it adds to the humor if you think of how sad it is that anyone college age would still be acting like that. It's not exactly acceptable for teenagers either, but it can at least be chalked up to youthful ignorance/stupidity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:29 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon:
Quote:
Also, anyone know what the "teeheeheehee-OOHH!" joke is supposed to be about? A reference to something?

Yeah, the American dub for Speed Racer. Cool
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:13 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
BorgmanJayce wrote:
Are there any links to this video for people outside the US seeing as it's not even viewable on NBC's site?

(I'm sick and tired of all this region-lock crap, especially for shows that will never get shown in the UK! Evil or Very Mad)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gpQ6nfMi80

For the Non-American Citizens on here. Get it before it's yanked!!

Thanks for the link! Very Happy
Genet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:33 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
This is funny. I actually have met people like this.

Yeah, unfortunately, me too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6