• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: UK top 100 Cartoons

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:04 am Reply with quote
"South Park" is overrated as usual (though I guess it's not too suprising to see it so high on the list).
On a side note, I'm glad that Monty Python made the list (even if it's at #70). About time someone recognised the genius of Terry Gilliam's animations.
Lists like this are not meant to be taken seriously and they do a pretty poor job of representing what the "greatest" cartoons really are.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:11 am Reply with quote
Remember, this is the UK, so there may be a bit of a skew towards one side or the other.

I must have been the only kid in America who watched Danger Mouse (24) when it was on Nickelodeon at ungodly hours of the morning. (God bless Thames)

As a side note, these people broadcasted the original Whose Line is it Anyway?
cell21

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:58 am Reply with quote
I was laughing my head off when legend of the overfiend came at 72.Some people are taking the piss when votes counted.

It's always The Simpsons that came first .O well!!!Ren and Stimpy was the cult classic at my time.Have you head of willow and the whisp??I never heard of it^^.Family guy owns!!!I'm quite saddened that Futurama was dropped by Fox.Dam u Fox!!!
bluechibi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:53 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

As a side note, these people broadcasted the original Whose Line is it Anyway?

Correct, then I believe there was a US version with Drew? didn't really enjoy it as much.

I stayed up and watched it all, can't believe they showed so much of the Overfiend, why it was included I have no idea Razz

I forgot some Ghibli films were in it, I'm glad they did pretty well. Liked the comments made about Fox dropping Futurama, and Family Guy being dropped twice only to be brought back due to high DVD sales, honestly Fox really dont have a clue at all.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote
That was a statement. It just so happened that there was a ? in the title ^^;
Sketchee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:32 am Reply with quote
Woo! Glad to see the US is still on top
ojamajolilac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:43 am Reply with quote
I started watching from No. 40 and up to no. 1. Well, at least there's some anime. Simsons is the first, as expected. But HOW COULD Sponge Bob Square Pants be on the top 30-40 (some where in there I forgot)? I never knew anyone who IS watching it. But Spirited Away was higher then I thought.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Alright! A list where I can bemoan how overrated both The Simpsons and Spirited Away have become with equal scorn and contempt!

Okay, I'm being a bit facetious (though I do think both are overrated), but I'd still easily put both the entire run of King of the Hill and season six of South Park above any season of The Simpsons, and, if any Miyazaki movie should be in the top 10, it's Kiki's Delivery Service.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:38 pm Reply with quote
ojamajolilac wrote:
But HOW COULD Sponge Bob Square Pants be on the top 30-40 (some where in there I forgot)? I never knew anyone who IS watching it.

Well, some people are watching it, because Spongebob Squarepants and Fairly Oddparents are the most popular cartoons on Saturday morning in America, and it's one of those shows that have a niche adult fanbase too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

Okay, I'm being a bit facetious (though I do think both are overrated), but I'd still easily put both the entire run of King of the Hill and season six of South Park above any season of The Simpsons, and, if any Miyazaki movie should be in the top 10, it's Kiki's Delivery Service.

That's where personal tastes come in. I'd agree with you on Kiki's Delivery Service, but I'd not place most any season of South Park over the Simpsons (admittingly, South Park has it's really funny points, but the series over all is just too much potty humor for me to handle), and I'd bat King of the Hill out of the list altogether (it just absolutely does not appeal to me). Sure the Simpsons has taken somewhat of a plunge in recent seasons (though not incredibly low, it's still decently funny at times), but it has made enough of an impact to deserve it a place somewhere on the list (though probably not at 1).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Legend of the Overfiend a hentai?
IanC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
Isn't Legend of the Overfiend a hentai?

Yep, and it has never been released uncut in the UK
Kyo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Why is Tom and Jerry on the list?
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Kyo wrote:
Why is Tom and Jerry on the list?

Its a cartoon maybe???
tropical_kit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

I must have been the only kid in America who watched Danger Mouse (24) when it was on Nickelodeon at ungodly hours of the morning. (God bless Thames)

No, you were not the only one; my entire family stayed up to watch Danger Mouse. It's still a favorite of mine and the brother's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3