• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tenjho Tenge Manga Heavily Edited

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dejiko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:06 am Reply with quote
AnimeFanaticG wrote:
Yea, this really does suck. If i knew about it i wouldn't of bought it. I am sure glad they didn't get their paws on Ikki Tousen.

According to Natsume Maya (I see a connection now...)Tokyopop raped Ikki Tousen pretty hard in the dialogue department, so that is a rather bad example.

Quote:
I picked up volume 8 of the Ikki Tousen manga by Shiozaki Yuji. His artwork gets better and better, though the characters often look too posed. I also thought I'd try out the much maligned English translated/adapted version "Battle Vixens" by TokyoPop, so I picked up volume 4. It sucketh mightily. That's not a translation - that's a disgrace. Here's a sample for comparison purposes:
Ikki Tousen manga volume 4, original version (rough-ish translation by me)-
Page 79, panel 3- Choushou: N-No, two years ago... there was an omen that a toushi would come to the Hyakkuhekitou lodged here and draw it out easily . The omen that troubled times would be visited upon this age...
Panel 5- Ryomou: Master [or teacher], what's that strange ki?!
Page 80, panel 1- Choushou: Ryomou, take this girl back to the house.
Ryomou: B-But, Master.
Battle Vixens manga volume 4, English adapted version-
Page 93, panel 3- Choushou: Two years past... the omen... "Big of breast and small of brain, a toushi will come, the Hyakuhekitou to free." I thought they were yankin' my chain! Her?! This "Chrissy" in training?! Even her ki screams "bimbo!"
Panel 5- Ryoumo: Master! I sense a disturbance in the force!
Page 94 panel 1- Choushou: Take her inside. And never quote Star Wars to me again.
Ryoumo: But... something comes...
Well, you get the idea. I don't think I'll bother buying the rest of the English adaptation - reading it was sort of... annoying and unsatisfying. BTW, sorry, I'm not up to date with US vernacular: what's a "Chrissy"?

Sorry for the off-topic by the way, but several people hailed IT as the way TT should have been, whereas it is clearly the lesser evil Wink
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:00 am Reply with quote
Calli wrote:
Wow...and people treated Tokyopop like the manga antichrist over Initial D.

Fixed.
Izlude

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:05 am Reply with quote
Heh, like I said, at least Tokyopop's Battle Vixens/Ikkitousen isnt afraid to use four letter words. Sure it may not be a "true to the original translation" (Those are overated anyways), which it is not and never will be, but you got to admit, its a helluva funny "english adaption" and highly entertaining. I mean admit it, you don't read these kind of manga for brillent writing, its all about the boobs!

And I agree, OhGreat really knows how to draw'em well! Hell he can even draw fat chicks (Emi Izusa) and make'em look hot with those gigantic melons! If DC handled Tenjou Tenge like Tokyopop did with Ikkitousen, it would of been, OH GREAT! HAH! I made a funny! Laughing
Sakurazukamori

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:57 am Reply with quote
The best answer to censorship is :
"Don't buy it, download it"
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:07 am Reply with quote
Phantom14 wrote:
I just looked at their boards, and damm, they are getting some bad backlash. I think it has only just begun.

Oh, it has. Someone, send me to a petition to sign. I love the TenTen anime, and was going to purchase the manga (even though it sound quite more boobie filled than the anime), but now...my god, this is awful. I can only hope Geneon doens't edit the anime to fit this bull. O_O
Izlude

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:38 am Reply with quote
Bara_Megami wrote:
I can only hope Geneon doens't edit the anime to fit this bull. O_O

They wont have to, it already is. Laughing
R.G.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:58 am Reply with quote
I DO plan to buy,read and enjoy it.
My decision is NOT about condoning or accepting censorship.
I don't let edits ruin my enjoyment of any particular anime or manga.
CMX has informed Oh!Great of what they did,I wager.So far,I haven't heard about him raising a big stink over this the way certain posters have.
Calli

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:49 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Calli wrote:

Fixed.

And Chobits. And Battle Royale (and from reading the interview with the 'adaptor,' that one was warranted). And Tokyo Tribes. And Love Hina. There was also the Sgt. Frog debacle on AoD a few months ago, but in that case, the images cited as evidence were pervy edits, not the original art. And everything else in their catalogue, it seems, the way fen are. Cryin' out loud, TP seems to be on a lot of people's hate list -- and most of them don't even supply clear evidence for their complaints.

I don't think they've done anything as extreme as these (CMX's) edits to TenTen, in comparison. Drat, and I rather like Land of the Blindfolded...I think I'm going to have to put that on the sideburner until this spat clears up. Hoping, of course, that it WILL clear up.
IanC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Calli wrote:

And Chobits.
And Tokyo Tribes.
And Love Hina.

What did they do these 3 then?

Sorry to drag this off topic
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Calli wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Calli wrote:

Fixed.

And Chobits. And Battle Royale (and from reading the interview with the 'adaptor,' that one was warranted). And Tokyo Tribes. And Love Hina. There was also the Sgt. Frog debacle on AoD a few months ago, but in that case, the images cited as evidence were pervy edits, not the original art. And everything else in their catalogue, it seems, the way fen are. Cryin' out loud, TP seems to be on a lot of people's hate list -- and most of them don't even supply clear evidence for their complaints.

I don't think they've done anything as extreme as these (CMX's) edits to TenTen, in comparison. Drat, and I rather like Land of the Blindfolded...I think I'm going to have to put that on the sideburner until this spat clears up. Hoping, of course, that it WILL clear up.

The best Tokyopop has done to Initial D has been Extreme Name Changes (Mogi = Natilie? Huh?) and some dialogue changes.
Armagguedes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:08 pm Reply with quote
greets

To think i was 2 clicks away from pre-ordering the english TenTen. Now i am currently buying the japanese original version. Sure i don't know the language well enough yet, but i will someday, and this way i do not risk letting it go out of print.

This is teh ultimate 'sucky'. Not even the french manga market does this sort of thing i gaher, and while huge, it is not as big as USA's. They have some serious respect for "les otakus" there.

And if you guys think this sucks, mind this: archonia.com is a anime/manga shop in Belgium, and they have the complete TenTen (JP) there. Now, if you go all the way to the page with the TPBs, you will see volumes 5 to 8 missing, because they are actually in the adult section. I don't want to even begin to think just how badly edited the english mangas are going to turn out. Probably the "mortal combat" fatality of manga.

denkigrve wrote:
Lord knows what will happen if someone tries to licesnse Gantz. I'd really hate to see that torn apart as well.

Regarding GantZ, the episodes that ran on JP-TV were both edited and censored. However, the dvd-rips that have started coming out appear to be pure. I have no info about the manga though.

cheers

[edit] By the way at the archonia (at least), both the JP and FR mnga versions of TenTen are cheaper than the EN one. [/edit]
Armagguedes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:33 pm Reply with quote
just so that you know...

If news come out in which it states that DC is "joining the battle to end piracy" "(...) p2p (...)" "(...) scanalations (...) evil (...)" or some related crap, i am going to print this entire thread out (in b&w fastdraft -- i'm not crazy) and mail them.

Besides, if they did do something of the sort, they would be exposing themselves to the ridicule, me thinks.

laters o/
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:35 pm Reply with quote
My view of the manga edit are in agreement with you lot. I don't believe in censorship as a rule.

DC are new to this manga field but I really dont understand why they haven't done their homework first on manga, and if they were not sure about whether to edit or not ask the manga fans when you go to conventions and via their website and other books. A simple questionaire would have made the difference.

We also have to ask ourselves whether they are taking us manga fans seriously enough because such actions show they are not learning or educating themselves aboout japanese culture and anime and manga fandom. This is really making them look silly and I'm sure the likes of Marvel and Dark Horse will be laughing. I personally was thinking of picking up some Ten Ten but now I'll have to try other non-DC manga til they sort this mess out, if they ever do. Don't forget we thought Tokyopop would have corrected some of their past errors too but they have failed to. It takes pure balls to fall on your sword, admit you are wrong and correct a mistake or displeasing error. Let's hope DC get the message that we won't stand for this kind of bs.

Vote with your feet and wallets people.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thebaron

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like the company was hoping to jump on the anime band wagon with a cheaply obtained product even if they thought it needed edited.

I am on the opinion if they have to edit it, then don't pick it up. This is why I sometimes regret the mainstreaming of anime in general, since this type of activity becomes more common to attempt to widen the interest in the product....
poweranime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Hey there, everyone.

Running an anime store, I can see why CMX/DC would be doing this, and its probably the same reason Pioneer's/Funi's Dragonball eps were so hacked... appeal to the greater audience for the benji's... they probably know as I do that the biggest audience for manga is teens... and after listening to alot of people's posts, it sounds like many of you have already seen the JP manga and are hardcore anime buffs, the people I most highly respect... but CMX is probably trying to hit that mainstream audience that hasn't seen the original Ten Ten, and they're probably thinking that this whole 'mad about censorship' will die down as the mainstream audience starts outweighing the opinions of the hardcore (like DBZ, I feel).

I was personally dissappointed because I've got one customer (props to Jose if you're reading this) that has been a firecracker over this title since our store opened... of course it was going to contain everything that I like about anime: T&A and B&G (blood and guts in case you needed to know... i'm sure you know what T&A is).... ooooooooooooh, I was all for this... I'm not even a manga buff... heck I hate reading, but I was willing to take the leap with this book... and now that I hear its heavily edited, I think I'll just bum the JP copies from my customer and have my wife translate it for me... (yea, i took the shortcut for learning Japanese... i married one =).

Hope CMX at least releases an 'un edited' version sometime in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8