• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
bleach and/or naruto manga worth to read?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Both have their good & Bad points. In the end it really depends on your preferance in Anime & Manga, if you already like Long running shonen series, then yeah, both are worth reading. If not, may want to think it over 1st.

Personally, I LOVE Bleach, yeah its fairly flawed, and the arcs are slow paced, but overall its an enjoyable series with fun characters and an interesting world.

As for Naruto, its a solid series, nothing really wrong with it (aside from its rabbid fans, lol..but thats a problem with modern anime in general.)

So yeah overall both are worth checking out, but weather you stick with them or not is entirly up to you.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:41 am Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
ryan.rp123 wrote:
i personally hate them both and would never buy them, but if you want to know if there worth it download a few volumes and then see
Don't you love when people hate something because it's popular?

Umm, where exactly in his comment did he say he hated them because they were popular?
Seriously....

Now, I used to be a fan of Naruto, but I've come to really care less and less about the manga as the quality starts to nosedive in Part 2. Part 1 was great, phenomenal even.
I can tolerate Naruto and see as a now mediocre series that used to be great.

Bleach is utter trash. It's become nothing but a self-parody and one of the lowest forms of storytelling in shonen manga. I stopped reading in the middle of the Arrancar arc. I still read the chapter spoilers and/or look at chapter threads for Bleach, and it's just hilarious how bland, filthy and predictable this series has become.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:23 am Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:

Bleach is utter trash. It's become nothing but a self-parody and one of the lowest forms of storytelling in shonen manga. I stopped reading in the middle of the Arrancar arc. I still read the chapter spoilers and/or look at chapter threads for Bleach, and it's just hilarious how bland, filthy and predictable this series has become.

............... So I'm guessing you don't like the series.

Personally when I think of TRASH in anime & Manga I think of things like Kanokan, Queens Blade, Qwasar, School days, etc. But yeah...I guess everyone has their diffrent deffinitions of trash in the medium.... although How one could be disgusted by a genaric long running shonen is beyond me.

......... Modern anime fandom, sometimes it makes me simultaneously laugh & cry. (No really it does.)

Personally I find your hate misplaced, and remember, its ok to like & dislike whatever you want...but no need to be a d*** about the things you don't like.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:56 am Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
How one could be disgusted by a genaric long running shonen is beyond me.

Because it being long-running means it's popularity shows people celebrate mediocrity while better series are ignored.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
How one could be disgusted by a genaric long running shonen is beyond me.

Because it being long-running means it's popularity shows people celebrate mediocrity while better series are ignored.

Short & Medium Length shows can be Medicore as well. But I get what your saying.

Overall though people will always praise medocrity & garbage in general no matter what the medium.

Frankly though I don't think long running shonen are medicore, just average, not super good or super bad, just there to like or dislike depending on each individuals own preferance in media.

But yeah I guess I would rather see people rave over stuff that deserves it like Tatami Galaxy or other artsy shows opposed to Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, etc. But meh, overall no reason to hate on long running shonen, nothing wrong with enjoying genaric action/adventure.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

............... So I'm guessing you don't like the series.

Yes. I think that is what I was going for.

Quote:

Personally when I think of TRASH in anime & Manga I think of things like Kanokan, Queens Blade, Qwasar, School days, etc. But yeah...I guess everyone has their diffrent deffinitions of trash in the medium.... although How one could be disgusted by a genaric long running shonen is beyond me.

In all truth, Bleach doesn't disgust me. It just pisses me off to no end.
There are series out there that I do find disgusting, but these recent Bleach chapters don't piss me off as much as they make me laugh at how ridiculous they are.

Quote:
Personally I find your hate misplaced, and remember, its ok to like & dislike whatever you want...but no need to be a d*** about the things you don't like.

I wouldn't say I hate Bleach. I'd say I...strongly dislike it.
And I'm being a dick, how exactly? By giving my opinion?

And on a side note, just because a series is long-running doesn't mean its mediocre or average. For example, Detective Conan, Hajime no Ippo, One Piece, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure..
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
@MasterKingJC:

Oh I have nothing at all against people voicing their opinion on things, thats whats great about forums, people from diffrent parts of fanbases coming to get together & debate things. However I can't say I care much for the way you worded your opinion. And admitingly I may be looking to much into it. But you seem to act as if Bleach is one of the worst long running shonen ever made, and people who genuinly enjoy it should be ashamed or are of lesser intelligence. (again thats probably me blowing your post out of proportion, but yeah.)

And as for the last part of your latest comment, yes your right the length of a series does not detrmine the quality or lack there of.

Although I would disagree afew some of your examples (personally I find One Piece overrated, I can see why its popular, but just not my cup of tea.)

But yeah, I guess what I'm saying is that its really important to think on how your word your opinions, otherwise fans of whatever you bash may end up being overly offended.

Again, its fine to like & dislike whatever you want, but its really not all that good to go into a thraed and blatently bash somthing.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
@MasterKingJC:

Oh I have nothing at all against people voicing their opinion on things, thats whats great about forums, people from diffrent parts of fanbases coming to get together & debate things. However I can't say I care much for the way you worded your opinion. And admitingly I may be looking to much into it. But you seem to act as if Bleach is one of the worst long running shonen ever made,

Ever made..not really. One of the worst long running ongoing shonen, yes.
Quote:
and people who genuinly enjoy it should be ashamed or are of lesser intelligence. (again thats probably me blowing your post out of proportion, but yeah.)

People tend to like certain things, whether they're good or bad.
Those who like Bleach or are fans shouldn't be ashamed for enjoying it. Only those who rate it as the greatest series ever or become tards of it should be truly ashamed.

Quote:
And as for the last part of your latest comment, yes your right the length of a series does not detrmine the quality or lack there of.

Although I would disagree afew some of your examples (personally I find One Piece overrated, I can see why its popular, but just not my cup of tea.)

There are those diehard OP fans who do overrate it and call it the "greatest manga ever created!", which is plain stupid since there is no such thing as "the greatest manga ever created" and there never will be. Just like what most Dragon ball fans tend to do. One Piece is an amazing series, yes, but it's not GODLY. But I can respect your personal tastes.

Quote:
But yeah, I guess what I'm saying is that its really important to think on how your word your opinions, otherwise fans of whatever you bash may end up being overly offended.

Again, its fine to like & dislike whatever you want, but its really not all that good to go into a thraed and blatently bash somthing.

Despite it having a fanbase, when a series is genuinely bad, people will bash it. And Bleach is filled with so many flaws in its plot and characters, that for most people, it's just too easy to bash. Now I have no dislike towards any sort of Bleach fan, but when a good majority of the online anime/manga community is bashing on one of your favorite series, then there is a good chance that there is something wrong with it.
But, in retrospect, I will agree that saying that it is "utter trash" was a bit harsh. It is a bad series, but calling it that makes it sound like I have some sort of deep hatred towards it.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC: You make some very good points in your post. However saying Bleach is a bad series is still overall just an opinion. It may be a popular opinion at the moment, but its an opinion non the less.

The only fact is Bleach is a mang/anime series, everything else is left up to ones own likes & dislikes. & Yes I know it seems like I'm splitting hairs or whatnot here, and I probably am. I will admit the series is flawed, but I don't think that makes it bad. I personally think modern media fans in general are very fickle people and far to quick to show negatitvity towards a series, just because it doesnt go the way they want it to go. Overall, and again I know this is just my opinion I think Bleach & most other shonen manga are just fine for what they are. They all have good & bad points, and downright saying..well lots of people dislike the way this series goes, therefore it is indeed bad, kidna rubs me the wrong way. Again I know I'm probably just being difficult here because I genuinly enjoy the series despite its numerous flaws..but yeah.

I mean don't get me wrong in the wide wide world of medai (or even just anime/manga) there are things that are truly bad (MTV, Eiken, etc) But for the most part, at least for me, Genaric Long Running shonen are one of those things that are so subjective, you can't down right say any one series is good or bad, there just there. Just because a series gets alot of praise online doesnt mean its good, and just because a series gets alot of negativity doesnt mean its bad. Again I guess I'm just being difficult here. But as someone who genuinly enjoys Bleach and many long running shonen in general, I just get abit bitchy I guess when I see people bash em. As you said, there not made to be the best thing ever, they are just made to be just fun & entertaining series with interesting characters & worlds.

And yes overzealous fans of anything are bad, lol. (*Still have nightmare about hardcore Naruto fans jumping on me in Highschool cause I said I liked Naruhina more then Narusaku, lo. Ahh High-school...those were fun times *goes off into daze*l)

But yeah, I understand why people Hate on Bleach, but I still think the negativity towards it these days is abit silly. But i'm pointlessly rambling again, so I shall be quite now.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Lol, it's all based on one's personal preferences. Although a preference isn't necessarily right or wrong, as long as someone enjoys whatever they're interested in, it's alright by me. If Bleach's flaws don't damper your enjoyment of the series, then more power to you.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
Lol, it's all based on one's personal preferences. Although a preference isn't necessarily right or wrong, as long as someone enjoys whatever they're interested in, it's alright by me. If Bleach's flaws don't damper your enjoyment of the series, then more power to you.

Thanks, I guess. And yeah sorry if I came off as a ranty ol sob, I just get that way alot these days it seems. Good lord I'm only 20 but Im becoming a cranky old man, lol.

Anywho back to the posters main queston. Overall, pretty much any long running shonen is worth giving a shot...but again weather you stick with em, all depends on how well end up liking em or not.
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:37 am Reply with quote
To be honest, the hate owing to popularity bit was something that I had to get over. I am glad that I have matured to the point where that is no longer an issue with me, and hope that it never happens again. Today I can enjoy Naruto with no problems, when a while back I had difficulty appreciating such things.

Indeed, maybe I have become extremely forgiving, but I can see the relationship between Naruto and Sasuke almost as one born of fast friendship out of wartime loyalty. They were ninja who were destined to fight alongside one another, and therefore Naruto's obsession seems to make sense to me. It is laced with loyalty and honor on a level that we usually don't get to see out of Naruto. I think there's more going on under that blonde spiky hair than we usually get to see.

Honestly, though I've said this many times, I would never want to fight with a fellow fan. To me, Bleach is actually deep in parts. Early on, the fact that souls taken to the Soul Society have to reform makeshift families because of the inability to find their real loved ones is a painful way to remind readers that life is fleeting and man's condition is impermanent. If someone takes the time to enjoy it, there's more to it than just gratuitous violence. Though, please, I intend to start no arguments.
deskiejhan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:55 am Reply with quote
Bleach yah it's all worth it but i don't it does in naruto..dunno but i got confused with the story even folllowed it since the fist episode..
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:15 am Reply with quote
I think that at least some of the confusion in series like these comes from the length; I was just having a conversation with a friend of mine about how difficult it is to place the Bleach and Naruto theatrical movies into a timeline with the rest of the series.
molecule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
they both are genric and lowest form of modern shounen..i wont recomend them to anyone except for a new reader..since you are not new you should try fullmetal alchemist,d gary man or one piece..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4