• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sket Dance (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Sket Dance

Sket Dance follows the adventures of Bossun, Himeko, and Switch, three friends who found the Sket Dan club at their high school which is dedicated to helping their fellow students with all their problems, from capturing a lost monkey to reuniting lost childhood loves.

No thread? That's such a crime, especially with recent events in the anime. My favorite 'comedy' series out right now with a great cast of characters. Still not too late to catch up and join the fun.

Watch it on Crunchyroll
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Man this show was awful about the first 4 episodes. I nearly dropped it because this was as average as average could be. Didn't stand out in any way. Then, all of a sudden, the next couple episodes got pretty entertaining. I particularly enjoyed Roman's episode where she imagined everything spoiler[as a manga filled with manga characters. And Bossun as the Prince Laughing ]

Since then this show has been mostly entertaining. There are a few episodes that weren't very good but for the most part it's throwing strikes. I just wish there was some semblance of a running plot(more than just the Sket-Dan and Student Council sometimes being at odds). We just went from episodes about Switch and spoiler[why he goes by that name and stories about his past and little brother] to a crossover episode with the Gintama cast. So far, after 28 episodes, I'd give it 6.5/10
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:37 am Reply with quote
Aw. I think this anime is cool how come?? I'ts like Gintama.. well the author of Sket Dance is once a student of the author of Gintama..But I still prefer Gintama with those freakin' heavy jokes..but Sket Dance is fine.. It's just not that new or breath of fresh air for me...
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:09 am Reply with quote
Who is still watching this? Just curious for any comments on Bossun's backstory. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Bossun finds out spoiler[that his parents died in separate accidents on the day he was born.] Pretty strong birthday surprise. Loved how he helped out a young spoiler[Tsubaki] back in the day as well. Probably had a decent amount of influence on the person he is today.

This show completely changes tones when it goes into the past of each character. Himeko, Bossun, and Switch have all had some pretty tough stuff to go through. Complete opposite of the happy go lucky tone of most of the other episodes.

I'm not sure I would be willing to buy a complete collection of Sket Dance since it's at 47 episodes and counting, but I would definitely buy about 26 hand selected episodes if I could. The background stories, and when Switch goes to the mall to help Reiko buy a new computer would definitely make the cut.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:20 am Reply with quote
I'm still watching it, though I'm two episodes - possibly three episodes - behind. After seeing the backstories of Switch and - especially - Himeko, I have to say the Manga-ka seems to have more of a talent for Drama than Comedy. Bossun was always going to be featured, can't wait for his turn.

I believe SKET Dance will end at four cour, though I've been wrong about its length before. I only initially watched it because I thought it would be a single cour, so imagine my surprise when it got another. And then my shock when it got a third. When it was apparent that it was getting a fourth cour I gave a groan of resignation. I really don't want it to go for a fifth, and perhaps Bossun getting his backstory now means the adaptation is coming to a close. I sure hope so.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
IDK, This Happy Birthday two-parter (although it seems to be combined with another two-parter immediately following) only catches up to chapter 86 of the manga but they seem to be up to chapter 222 currently (link*)-- so, even with the fact that some chapter titles seem to suggest they've told the occasional story past this one, out-of-order, we might not even be half way through yet- plus they seem to put in plenty of anime original filler. I'd consider this an indefinite series, it's a prime-time series adaptation of a continuing popular Shonen Jump series- those only stop when they completely bomb in the ratings. They've made the comparison before, Sket Dance is a little like a non-Scifi, "modern day" Gintama, a long running comedic series with only occasion runs at depth, expect the anime to run like Gintama did, maybe a couple hundred episodes before running out of story and taking a break.

I do look forward to these dramatic chapters, they are more powerful than you'd think they'd be and give you a reason to care for them, even if they run a bit melodramatic and overwrought.

And while this was a really good story it did fail to answer a question I had about Bossun,. What inspires his bouts of inferiority complex? It's played for laughs but when he gets down on himself, he really gets down on himself. For all of his determination to help others and outward confidence there are plenty of times when he doesn't seem to hold much self-worth (spoiler[interesting to see how his father had the same problem]). I have to think there's a story behind that. Maybe it's be dealt with in this "Re-Birthday" story?

But it isn't like there isn't plenty more story to be told. Switch is still basically "broken" from his traumatic event, Himeko seems mostly settled but I guess you could say she has to deal with her feminine side. And it's yet to see how this four part(?) Bossun will play out but there are plenty of ways to continue his story (spoiler[Who abandoned Bossun's dad at the orphanage? Will we ever find out who ran his dad down in the hit-and-run? What's the story of her step-mom's ex? And as I said above, why doesn't Bossun seem to like himself sometimes]?) Not to mention a literal host of supporting characters. Also realize this is a High School series that isn't stuck in time- it won't be truly over until they graduate.

*careful with that Sket Dan wiki I linked to above-- I never learn and went to Bossun's character page and really spoiled something, I'm hoping it's the story being told in this "Re-birthday" story, the title seems to hint at it... Let's just say we didn't see the whole story of every character in that flashback yet and that there have been some very prophetic words spoken at times in this show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
4750G

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm still watching it, and if I'm not mistaken the second part of Bossun's birthday story isn't out yet (am I wrong?). Personally I like how random this show is. I find it funny despite it not making any sense at all sometimes. Then they suddenly throw in a dramatic story and I'm all WTF?!, but in a good way. I'm currently following more than 10 series besides SKET Dance, which is pretty hard for me because I can't drop anything. I like SKET Dance precisely because it's episodic. I can watch one episode and stop there, without this nagging feeling that I need to know what's happening next.

About the birthday story, will this be explaining why Bossun started the SKET Dance? When I started watching the show it seemed like Bossun's intense desire to help people stems from his past. It was shown in last week's episode that spoiler[his father, like him, also goes out of his way to help people in need. However, it felt like Bossun's father didn't really care about himself.] Hopefully I get an answer soon, I cannot wait to finish Bossun's story. Confused
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
4750G wrote:
I'm still watching it, and if I'm not mistaken the second part of Bossun's birthday story isn't out yet (am I wrong?).

It hasn't been out for more than a few hours. The Prime-time shows show up on Crunchyroll early morning, so the second part of the "Happy Birthday" story was waiting for me this morning and I caught it before going to work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
Looks like the show will be going on for quite a bit longer. Sket-Dance gets 2nd year
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:36 am Reply with quote
Nosferatu21 wrote:
Looks like the show will be going on for quite a bit longer. Sket-Dance gets 2nd year

And two new popular characters. Sket Dance fans most be happy :>
Darnell11

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:46 am Reply with quote
I think this anime is cool how come?? I'ts like Gintama.. well the author of Sket Dance is once a student of the author of Gintama
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote
Darnell11 wrote:
I think this anime is cool how come?? I'ts like Gintama.. well the author of Sket Dance is once a student of the author of Gintama

Dude why copy my comment???
haha. Shocked
4750G

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:01 am Reply with quote
Camiru Mylle, maybe he was gonna comment on it but posted it by mistake?

Anyway, I'm not really familiar with the manga of SKET Dance. What I got from the comments here is that there will be two new additional characters in the show. Does the manga have an actual plot? I'm sorry, I haven't really seen it that way. While there are other anime which are also episodic in nature, more often than not there's an overall plot or story. I just don't see it with SKET Dance. Will the two new characters be providing direction to the show's story?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
Good, that spoiler I read was revealed this episode. I really didn't want to have that knowledge hanging over my head long.

If I were running Bamboo's Stream Column I'd be giving Sket Dance an honorary #1 placement for the fact that this was the first time all season that I've been looking forward to an episode so much.

This final part delivered pretty well. A good twist that I really wish I hadn't read about beforehand, nice character reactions all around, plus some excellent little jokes before the core subject was addressed. Really loved Akane's interaction with Himeko and Rumi's conversation with Switch (spoiler[That's Switch-san to you!]). Not to mention the introduction of the Samurai father.

Although... I have to admit there are some minor problems with the story. spoiler[Okay, so the doctor kept the birth of Sasuke from Akane, fine... except, probably, from a legal standpoint. Actually, the custody details for both the doctor and Akane would have been messy on both sides, as custody was granted all details should have been revealed. They aren't kittens abandoned in a box with a "Take Me Home" sign attached, legal adoption takes time. But leaving that aside, is anyone else confused that the doctor apparently neglected to inform the person who should have been informed first and would might have had the most reason to be furious. Akane should have been informed first? Actually, Akane should have probably been informed within a couple years. In a realistic world- lawsuits could be filed. The doctor knew his son had a brother, even if he, like Akane, wanted to keep his true parentage secret from the son- he had a responsibility to socialize them and an eventual responsibility to inform Akane of Haru's wish to separate them. ] These are the unrealistic sloppy details that were overlooked for the sake of a dramatic reveal.

But all suspension of disbelief problems were mostly erased with that perfect final scene in the hallway and I was reminded it's mainly a comedy and as a man once wisely noted, I should really just relax. I LOVED that reaction.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I love Bossun and Himeko's relationship. It's very complex and the way Switch hypothesized it in one of the later episodes was really nice. Bossun being too childish and unsure of his feelings, especially given his apparent apathy towards himself, with Himeko's debt to him and acceptance of herself.

Of course, Saaya is looking to throw a wrench into that relationship. He's making similar banter with her as he does Himeko, and you could actually see Himeko getting jealous and upset about it.

Though it might mean something soon, since the new opening showcases the three of them, and the short scene of Bossun and Himeko sleeping together in the same bed. Plus it looks like Agata, Sasuke, and Switch all are going to start having love interests if you go by the opening hints. Agata x Yabasawa, Sasuke x Daisy, and Switch x Momoka.

If the first year of the anime was about introducing these characters and showing their pasts and development to how they got where they are, the second year looks like to develop those characters more and see what they do in the present with their lives.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3