• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hardcover Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dranxis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:59 am Reply with quote
As manga becoming more acceptable to retailers or American consumers in general, I'm starting to notice more titles emerge in hardcover format. Hellsing, Trigun, Shirahime-Syo, Doll, Buddha... Just wonder what everyone's thoughts are on this, and whether they prefer to collect it in hardcover. I personally have been drooling over these new editions, grabbing them up for the sake of having a hardcover manga alone.

Actually, this brings up my real question. Barnes & Noble, I noticed, released a VERY nice Akira vol. 1 in hardcover. Color pages kept intact, huge page size, all for eight bucks... I was just wondering if anyone knew whether or not B&N planned to release the rest of the series in HC, and when. Vol. 1 was released last August, and checking their website (which has pre-orders all the way to July release manga) doesn't have a smidgeon of news.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:10 pm Reply with quote
For the most part, I don't buy things in hardcover, simply because it's too expensive. If there's something that I really like or a great deal (like the Akira hardcover) I'll pick it up. I really like the Buddha manga, but the hardcovers are just too expensive for the quality of the matterials, which is why I'm glad they're publishing a softcover edition.
As for Akira, I have no idea about BandN continuing the hardcovers. It's an amazing deal: not only do you get over 300 pages of a classic manga for 15 bucks, but in hardcover with superb ink and paper quality. Hopefully more people will pick it up.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Akira's out in hardcover now? Time to go to the bookstore...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I will have to check that Akira out if there are still copies at the bookstore
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, hardcover would reduce wear and tear, but my library has converted all of their manga into hardcover and it's positively horrible trying to read.
matticans

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Ya i saw the hardback Akira vol 1. It looked cool and the best thing about it is (unless my eyes were playing trix on me which i don't think they were) that it is actually cheaper than the paperback vol 1. Very Happy
Asano Rain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:19 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty much with Kage-san on this one. I'm not too into hardcover manga. They look nice but they're not really practical for when I want to carry them around somewhere.

Of course, I would love to get Tsubasa in hardcover as they look so prettiful, but the price tag kills me. $15 at Kino for 1 volume. Maybe one day...
Dranxis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:57 am Reply with quote
Yeah, as much as I love hardcover manga I'd have to agree about the price. Ultimately, I would only choose to collect a manga series in HC if I knew it to be a short, worthwhile series. Collecting something like say, your typical 30+ volume shonen series in HC would become VERY expensive.
Nionel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:40 pm Reply with quote
matticans wrote:
Ya i saw the hardback Akira vol 1. It looked cool and the best thing about it is (unless my eyes were playing trix on me which i don't think they were) that it is actually cheaper than the paperback vol 1. Very Happy

Actually your eyes didn't decieve you, it's the same with Hellsing (same price as the paper back) and Trigun (around $3 cheaper)
Shinotaku14
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:18 pm Reply with quote
matticans wrote:

Yep eyes are working fine. The Paperback version was like... what 30 bucks? The hard back version was about 15. I believe it was a barnes and noble exclusive thing. However, now Barnes and Noble is selling it for 6.99 at their online store. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=Lf4djK1BZb&isbn=076075859X&itm=1

Last edited by Shinotaku14 on Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
charleshat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:04 am Reply with quote
Hi! These B&N hard back novels ya'll are talking about, are these by any chance the same kind of thing that was done by Graffiti designs way back in the early 90's (if my memory serves me correctly)?
The reason I am asking is that I have them all the way up to number 5. But having no 6th edition, I was just wondering if these B&N editions are of the same ilk. Better would be still, if anyone would know where I could my hands on this elusive sixth edition?
cboudreau

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:22 am Reply with quote
While I like the idea of having hardcover collections on my shelves, hardcover comics (mainstream, small press and manga) are too expensive. I can't justify the cost when I can pick up the softcovers for a fraction of the price-- especially when the softcovers are quality presentations of the material.
matticans

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:26 am Reply with quote
cboudreau wrote:
While I like the idea of having hardcover collections on my shelves, hardcover comics (mainstream, small press and manga) are too expensive. I can't justify the cost when I can pick up the softcovers for a fraction of the price-- especially when the softcovers are quality presentations of the material.

If you read back a few posts you will find that the Akira hardback is actually cheaper than the paperback. Besides Akira I don't actually know of any other hard back mangas.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:52 am Reply with quote
matticans wrote:
cboudreau wrote:

If you read back a few posts you will find that the Akira hardback is actually cheaper than the paperback. Besides Akira I don't actually know of any other hard back mangas.

Generally, hardcover books are more expensive than softcoves one. In the case of the few limited edition hardcover that DH put out, it was cheaper than the softcover:Trigun vol 1 & 2 and Akira vol 1. I think it was to celebrate these title's success and not all the books are produce in hardcover with a cheaper price.?

You won't be seeing DH (or any other manga publisher) putting out hardcover for all thier books because it cost more to produce them and they would have to sell them at a high price. I'm not much of a hardcover fans myself .
Ganryu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Asano Rain wrote:
Of course, I would love to get Tsubasa in hardcover as they look so prettiful, but the price tag kills me. $15 at Kino for 1 volume. Maybe one day...

You call THAT expensive?

Berserk is about 22 usd per volume here in Sweden, and that's normal soft cover with no "extras" whatsoever. The US licensing of 20th Century Boys is going to ruin me... -_-;

When you shift to hardcover manga here, the prices turn ridiculous. Ie: 40 usd for Akira vol 6, for example.

Thankfully translated manga is a lot cheaper, but they only translate shounen...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2