• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
C³ (Cube x Cursed x Curious) (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote

C³ (TV)

Genres: comedy, fantasy, psychological, romance
Themes: curses, ecchi, fanservice

Plot Summary: Haruaki Yachi is a high school boy and naturally resistant to curses. His father, Honatsu, sends him cursed instruments called "Worse" to try to break this. One day, Haruaki receives a black cube from Honatsu. During the night, he encounters a naked silver-haired girl stealing rice crackers. She is the human form of the black cube, an instrument of torture called "Fear in Cube". Haruaki and the girl "Fear" fight together against other Worse instruments and their owners using Fear's 32 mechanisms of torture.
----------------------------------

Quote:
A school battle action & love comedy with ecchi elements. Yachi Haruaki is a high school boy and naturally resistant to curses. His father, Honatsu, sends him cursed instruments called "Worse" to try to break this. One day, Haruaki receives a black cube from Honatsu. During the night, he encounters a naked silver haired girl stealing rice crackers. She is the human-form of the black cube, an instrument of torture called "Fear in Cube". Haruaki and the girl 'Fear' fight together against other 'Worse' instruments and their owners using Fear's 32 mechanisms of torture.

I was planning on just watching it without expecting anything really special. Indeed the first episode did not really show it as being very special with the whole mysterious girl appearing, that makes another female in his life jealous. And said girl creates trouble by being unfamiliar with the setting, actually she could give Suiseiseki or Nagi Sanzenin a run for the damage caused by trying to clean. Well I did find the other girl in the guys life rather pleasing, her design really a bit of a breath of fresh air.

What really got me hooked was episode 2, following the normal formulae we find Fear (the cube) has been enrolled at school. Which means despite her size, life experience, and education, she is in the guy's class. The principal gave me a little chuckle. Too bad for her, unlike many other magically appearing girls, spoiler[she is absolutly awefull at studies, knowing nothing about maths.] And then we end up with conflictwith a nutty girl who talks like Panty, actually she made some sense spoiler[in that she is trying to destroy cursed items that she thinks have killed a lot of people.]

We find that there is more to the fragile looking red head spoiler[as she goes head to head with the bad. Before finding out the reason she never brought up she was a better match as she is a human, and Fear is not, is because she is in fact a sword, and dislikes blood shed.] Though the cream of the crop was that Fear was an object designed for spoiler[torture and execution], and much to my joy goes spoiler[madeningly beserk at the sightt of blood at the end of episode.]

P.S. I like anime chicks with red eyes, usually makes it more fun some how.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:15 am Reply with quote
I like yanderes, so this show is right up my alley. Plus...that bitch lady reminds me of Zorne from that Megaman clone doujin game.

As for other reasons I like...I love the animation, one thing everyone can agree on is that the animation is really nice. That, and the protagonist isn't ignorant, he appears to have a bit of general knowledge about what's going on.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:08 am Reply with quote
Saw episode 3. Well there has not been much of a response, I hope that this does not just turn into me talking, but I think that it is actually pretty interesting. I think what I found pretty interesting was that I sympathised with the crazy villain, her motives seem to be understandable when spoiler[you see Fear turn into a sadistic killing machine.]

I know that we saw a show last season (Itsuka Tenma) where there was a petite girl with who is actually older with an evil side. Though I think that it has been done better here seeing her escape thinking she is too dangerous. I just hope that the do not have it hapen too often.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
So, what, is it trying to be Elfen Lied Lite to try and win points with people?

Cause I hated the hell out of Elfen Lied.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:44 am Reply with quote
Well it is a bit different in that it is not really even a different personality of Fear, it is an impulse that she falls back on, and really completly diferent. The only real redeeming quality for her past deeds is that it was not her choice to be made for that purpose, and that now she is trying to stop. Apart from that it appears that she gets pleasure from it.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
So far I've found nothing in it that I can enjoy, so I suppose I'm officially out. Of course, even if I did enjoy it, Fear is so thoroughly annoying that I'd end up disliking it anyway.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Finally found time to watch this inbetween studying!

Episode 3 was pretty entertaining...the idea of her powers all being based on summoning torture device is cool. Plus, I looooovveee yanderes.

The Good:

-atleast she got over her emo phase early in the show and reverted back to her old self by the end

-the action was neat. Her attacks look cool.

-I find the idea of all the characters, even side characters, having knowledge in such supernatural things kinda refreshing.

The Bad:

-Why is she so suicidal and depressed?!
I mean, it's not like she's human, she's a torture device. It's the equivalent of a gun feeling sad for killing it's targets.

This is just like the rant I had before about super special awesome characters being all depressed and emo for being so super special awesome. Confused

-this anime's frikkin title How the hell do you do the "cubed" sign?! How do I search this series in the boorus if I want to see fanart? How do I google a title like this?!

edit: Oh sweet...episode 4 is out too.
shadow13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:

-this anime's frikkin title How the hell do you do the "cubed" sign?! How do I search this series in the boorus if I want to see fanart? How do I google a title like this?!

edit: Oh sweet...episode 4 is out too.

copy and paste is always an option. Or when typing it in a forum HTML code works
Code:
C<sup>3</sup>
will display
C3
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
kewl............

Anyways,

Episode 4:

So...any bet on Mummy Maker's current status? spoiler[Dead] or spoiler[Alive]?

On one hand, this series is a bit darker than most anime. On the other hand, she's just too cute and have too much potential as a character as a whole to spoiler[die] so early after being introduced.

That, and her own power makes it unlikely.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
-Why is she so suicidal and depressed?!
I mean, it's not like she's human, she's a torture device. It's the equivalent of a gun feeling sad for killing it's targets.

Apparently, she spoiler[killed at least one lover directly as well, and of course all her owners eventually if perhaps indirectly, I can't seem to remember exactly right at the moment].

Gon*Gon wrote:
How do I search this series in the boorus if I want to see fanart?

Just plain c3 seems to work just fine, and cube_x_cursed_x_curious should as well.

There's bound to be some breather episodes, but I'm glad it didn't immediately return to the level of the first one. I have nothing against the standard ecchi harem/romantic comedy, but once this show trolled me so very, very hard, I've enjoyed what it's become a lot more.

Gon*Gon wrote:
So...any bet on Mummy Maker's current status?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for spoiler[alive].
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's bound to be some breather episodes, but I'm glad it didn't immediately return to the level of the first one. I have nothing against the standard ecchi harem/romantic comedy, but once this show trolled me so very, very hard, I've enjoyed what's it become a lot more.

Actually I think they're doing it quite well atm. Rather than breather episodes, they just have breather moments. For example, near the end of the 3rd episode and a bit of the beginning of the 4th episode.

Even the semi-serious moment wherespoiler[ Konoha confronts Fear about her relfexively entering Yandere mode] get's cooled off with a humorous note to end it off.

That's what I'm really liking about this anime. There's a very "Higurashi" feel to it's frequent sudden mood shifts.

As long as it doesn't become TOO depressing, like say...reveal to us that Fear used to have a puppy who got kicked and slowly beat to death by some brats right in front of her while being restrained...then I'm happy with this show.

Quote:
Apparently, she spoiler[killed at least one lover directly as well, and of course all her owners eventually if perhaps indirectly, I can't seem to remember exactly right at the moment.]

Eh...she still seemed a bit too depressed for something like that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
The name can be a bit heard to run searches with, I mostly just search C3, or Cube Cursed Curious, an a copy paste for the title here.

Just watched episode 4, and I am still enjoying it. In quite a few anime you get told that one character is too dangerous, and that is why people want to destroy them. One of the only ones I can think of a character going that nuts is Omamory Himari (which is similar in some other ways), but this character is going much more often. And it is not just Fear who can be insanely nuts, I know she is evil and all, she did not have to spoiler[kill the cute Mummy Maker], but she dosn't like to be a hypocrite.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Ep.4 was a mess, shifting tone like a schizophrenic. I'm all for moving from moe to psychological at different times but this does so a few times in consecutive sentences.
And every appearance of b!tchy sh!t-screamer contradicts the previous. One moment shespoiler[ won't accept a cursed item even when it saves her life, offers almost consoling words to the mummy girl and tells her to handle everything- the next she'll reluctantly accept a cursed item and fatally wounds the girl when she doesn't do what she wanted- despite not having given her instruction.]
Yet, I still want to see where it goes.

Gon*Gon wrote:

So...any bet on Mummy Maker's current status? spoiler[Dead] or spoiler[Alive]?
... her own power makes it unlikely.

But her power includes spoiler[summoning mystical blood-staunching bandages. Even if she "sent them away" it's not like she destroyed them. I see no reason why she can't survive- the moment sh!t-screamer left she could have presumably summoned them as fast as she did when she pulled off the previous rescue.
]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

And every appearance of b!tchy sh!t-screamer contradicts the previous. One moment shespoiler[ won't accept a cursed item even when it saves her life, offers almost consoling words to the mummy girl and tells her to handle everything- the next she'll reluctantly accept a cursed item and fatally wounds the girl when she doesn't do what she wanted- despite not having given her instruction.]
Yet, I still want to see where it goes.

She's just nuts, and incredibly prideful. That's all you really need to know about her atm.

And she really didn't want to use thespoiler[ cursed item], but I'm assuming she had no other choice. From what it looks like,spoiler[ she needed to draw blood in order to activate her axe.]
Scormio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if I'm a bit behind the discussion, but I was waiting for FUNimation to start steaming the series since I couldn't stand the fansubbed version. After the the first episode, I can already tell (having seen similar series) that I'm not going to like Fear at all, and that Konoha is probably going to be the main reason I watch the show. I'll watch up to the current episode (I think it's 4) after classes today and see if my opinion changes, but I'm usually pretty good at predicting these things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3