• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tenjho Tenge Manga Heavily Edited

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midori kou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
DC should take a lesson from Del Rey or get out of the manga business. Being cautious isn't going to gain them business in this glutted market. There are too many other titles out there to buy to waste money on their edited, domesticated crap.

Then again, Tokyopop does the same thing and they are doing very well. There's no such thing as 100% authentic manga; if there was, then ALL manga would be released in Japanese. It's a huge Catch 22. I'm not amazed.

And about the disclaimer done by DC, stating "limited revisions", I think they generalized the censored nudity as one entity, which technically speaking is "limited". Another Catch 22 in the business world FYI.
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Having now obtained my copy, I can hardly say I'm impressed. The edits are sloppy, indeed. I couldn't tell in some of the scans, but it's bad in print. Who showers in a bra? Who has sex in their underwear? I am offended. I was glad to see another company on the market, it meant a greater chance for interesting new titles, but this is just sad.
midori kou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:34 pm Reply with quote
quincyarcher wrote:
Who has sex in their underwear?

Actually you can, but that's another story. Wink
R.G.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I got my copy and all I can say is :

Certain posters sure are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Interesting story,by the way.I wouldn't mind getting vol. 2.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:04 am Reply with quote
I read TEnTEn moreso for the explicited context that was meant for the older audience and I'm sure most fans did too.. TenTen is not like Lone Wolf and Cub where the's a deep story, so TenTen rely on the explicited. TenTen wouldn't have been that big if it didn't have t&a.

Now if they edit that, what's the point in picking it up if other mangas does it better. And that's one reason why TenTen has a huge fanbase, it's basically a fighting type manga (naruto,hxh), but it's meant for adults. Now it's marketed to 13 years old boys. spoiler[Oh yeah, there's a scene in which a guy is twirling the girl's nipple as he's tortoring her. And then there are scene when guys "gang up" on one girls too. ] I wonder how they're gonna pull that off for the teen audience. Also some of the story would have to be chanbe becase

But I guess you can enjoy the manga with the edits.

Wyvern wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
Wonderful, as if War Games and Identity Crisis didn't already have me pissed off at DC.
-Xenos

Although I really liked both War Games and Identity Crisis (*sniffle* poor Stephanie...) I think it's worth noting that both of those contain WAY more objectionable material than Tenjou Tenge. There's no rape scene in TT, no teenage girls being tourtured and beaten to death. It looks like DC can't even keep its own standards straight. Disgraceful.

LOL, did you read TenTen? spoiler[there is a rape scene (not just once too, and edited with bra of course) and ther is teenage girls being beaten to a pulp. Heck, it has a guys grabbing girls ass and some lolli panel when the chick is in her kid form.]

Last edited by darkhunter on Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:10 am Reply with quote
Shocked Yikes! How about some spoiler tags, darkhunter?

[Thank you!]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:44 am Reply with quote
quincyarcher wrote:
I couldn't tell in some of the scans, but it's bad in print. Who showers in a bra?

Embarassed
R.G.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
"And it's pure manga — 100% the way the original Japanese creators want you to see it. In English!"

At the risk using a cliche in this situation,I often tend to take claims like that with a grain of salt.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:31 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
"And it's pure manga — 100% the way the original Japanese creators want you to see it. In English!"

At the risk of using a cliche in this situation, I often tend to take claims like that with a grain of salt.

I didn't mean for everyone to take that literally as I've already explained that "pure manga" would most likely be uncut and in Japanese, so of course I'll give them the liberty of translating all the words, but editing and censoring are the exact opposite of any meaning even close to the definition of the word they used. I'd probably call this "25% pure" (minus 50% for translating which is kind of a given, and minus another 25% for editing out all the nudity). Or, I could even call it "50% pure" in terms of U.S. standards, since we obviously expect a translation, but still have the edits.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
It's clear TT is gonna end up back for download now because of DCs edits, unless they either recall the current books or spend more money releasing an uncut version along side (though I'm sure that would be silly but more acceptable). It's only a matter of time.

I see a few people speaking in DCs favour and while that's nice I feel that DC don't need defending, they have enough super heroes to do that job.

This TT editing will effect their manga sales as a whole because word of mouth is very powerful. If history is a good teacher DC should look at how well some english edited manga sell with Tokyopop Initial D as an example.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:06 am Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:
If history is a good teacher DC should look at how well some english edited manga sell with Tokyopop Initial D as an example.

Only because of the Tuner Lifestyle/Market AND films like "The Fast and the Furious," which Tokyopop tried unsucessfully to hop on and ending up releasing a very bad Dub (but at least made up for it with the Original Sub.).
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:37 am Reply with quote
Does this mean we can expect all prostitution refrences to the Shinjuku girls of the GALS manga to be removed to make it more kid friendly than teen? Cool I worry, because I actually like the GALS manga.

And heh, if they wanted too, they could sort of cash off on the title if they get with Gwen Stafani and her lil juku girl posse.
R.G.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:43 am Reply with quote
Doubtful.
beverins

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:26 am Reply with quote
DC should never have even bothered to license this title, if they weren't willing to accept the mantle of an adult title.

Of course, to highlight the strange society that America is, they'll keep all the violence and blood. Sex = bad. Violence = good.

I've seen some Oh! Great manga that bordered on GURO ("erotic" gore and violence), so I wonder how DC would deal with that - its both at the same time.
Armagguedes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:11 pm Reply with quote
By the way guyz...

Does DC at least keep the right to left format, tipical to japanese books, or they mirrored the whole thing?

laters...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8