• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tenjho Tenge Manga Heavily Edited

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So I'm curious why they approached Madara one way, and Tenjho Tenge another.

My guess is that they thought that they would have difficulty selling TT to an older audience. Despite its very graphic content, TT has a rather simple shonen story consisting of fights and fanservice, and attempts by the author to make the story dramatic and deep largely fail (at least from what I've read, which is five volumes). I'm guessing that they thought its target audience wouldn't buy a mature rated title, and the older folks who bought it would be turned off by mindless violence and nudity of the first volume. I think they definitally should have been able to see this backlash coming, considering they probobly initially licenced this series based on its devoted fanbase.
HarryMcKenzie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:41 pm Reply with quote
In a business perspective, it just doesn't make sense to sell it to a fanbase that doesn't know about tenjo tenge. It is true that the fanbase they are going after is a large one and makes up for a lot of those who purchase manga however. The thing is that market is also oversaturated. If CMX feels financially brave to put this title in teen against Shounen Jump, Tokyopop's lines and some of ADV's titles and expect to cash in well, they are in for a harsh reality. Its their fault for not having gotten a title with a mainstream teenage appeal as opposed to their other titles which I can say aren't their bread and butter. I find it a similar arguement back in initial D where they change stuff and they seem to have market it to preteens when its only teenagers at least and those who have know about cars which that would appeal too. The demographic Tokyopop they tried to sell initial D doesn't even know how to drive, let alone know about the coolness of cars.
Its better to just knowing you can definitely make money on an existing fanbase than a nonexistent one.
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:12 am Reply with quote
I never had any interest in TenTen, but ya know, this whole "our official comment is no comment" is rather... depressing. Are they expecting this to blow over? Meh. Marvel > DC anyways. Anime catgrin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gaijyn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:01 pm Reply with quote
NEWBIE!!! Hi! that's me. just had 2 butt in.

I sent DC an email not to long ago, i thought of sharing it with you all entitled Tenjou Tenge Butchered? You're Kidding, Right?

You guys are amazing, just amazing!

I have waited a long, long time for Tenjou Tenge to be licensed and only to have my patience awarded with a bastardized version of a "manga". you may not realize but the majority of Tenjou Tenge fans have most likely seen/read the original manga- twice! What, you think we wouldn't notice?

What you have done here is wrong. Why license a mature manga title only to try and sell it to fans on par with Hamtaro and Dragon Balls?(another edited travesty) Three words: WASTE OF MONEY!!!

If Tenjou Tenge is too much for you, please sell it to Tokyopop, they'll give it the attention it deserves. The money you waste editing every volume will just hurt you in the end. As it stands, 80- 90% of your profits would have been from the hardcore fans who have either returned their copy for a refund or boycotted the title altogether. I hope the profits you make from the people who have not heard of it yet will be enough.

Whether you decide to pull it off the shelves, re-release it in its original format, or wait out the heat until we all forget or give up, (Hint: we wont!) but do something! The way I see it, your reps' hit the fan and it's an awful mess.

Please clean it up.

Thanks for your time,

i hope this doesn't get swept under the rug, y'know?

let's hope 4 the best!
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Gaijyn wrote:
As it stands, 80- 90% of your profits

Don't invent number, it completely undermines your statement.

Up until you pulled these (completely inacurate) numbers out of your hole, they might have actually been reading what you were saying.

-t
Gaijyn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:10 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Gaijyn wrote:
As it stands, 80- 90% of your profits

Don't invent number, it completely undermines your statement.

Up until you pulled these (completely inacurate) numbers out of your hole, they might have actually been reading what you were saying.

-t

thanks for the head's up for one thing... and no sarcasm intended at all... I wanted to put the #'s in because I thought it was true to me and it would be more helpful to the cause.. I am only human, jeez I make mistakes.. No need to be rude about it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Gaijyn wrote:
thanks for the head's up for one thing... and no sarcasm intended at all... I wanted to put the #'s in because I thought it was true to me and it would be more helpful to the cause.. I am only human, jeez I make mistakes.. No need to be rude about it.

Calm down, he was only trying to make suggestions Wink. And while your numbers sound nice, it probably would've been better to hit those people at CMX with actual numbers based on statistical data and/or information claimed by proveable research instead of a hypothetical situation.

I'm sure they've received many more flame letters and angry e-mail, but being a corporation of professional businessmen and all, it might've helped had your letter made a more solid argument, that way they'd have a harder time countering your statements.

I'm not saying your letter is bad. It's much better than cursing at them and saying they "suck." tempest is just saying that they probably won't take you as seriously if you make numbers up because a lot of people in the business world believe in factual statistics more so than stand alone opinion Smile.
Gaijyn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:54 pm Reply with quote
well, i really thought to myself "maybe that wasn't such a good idea, adding the numbers" but only after i pressed the send button. i appreciate Tempests' comments because he's right for the most part.(i have my own opinions, but i'll keep those to myself for now.) They might not read the rest of the letter or take me seriously now, but even with such a percentage "pulled out of my hole Wink " what if i was right? stranger things have happened! regardless, i'll do my homework the next time around, promise!

Thanks for the insight guys!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8