• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Wii U Not Expected Until June 2012 or Later

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Well there goes my theory that it would be released within the next two months. I am going to guess that it's either going to come out late 2012 or maybe early 2013 now.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
Wow. Nintendo's first loss in 30 years.

Not too surprised by the Wii U news really. It was already obvious it wasn't coming out for at least six months or so. Any sooner than that, and there would already be retailer news on the launch.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
I'm...fine with that.

A console is useless if there isn't any good games for it. And so far I have yet to hear many good games for the WiiU in development.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:17 am Reply with quote
The Wii U has been slated for the second half of 2012 since the day it was announced. How is this news?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
I'm...fine with that.

A console is useless if there isn't any good games for it. And so far I have yet to hear many good games for the WiiU in development.

I am inclined to agree with that. After all, all a video game system is a catalysis for the games. However, if there aren't any good games for the system, the system likely won't be much use.

I've been keeping tabs on WiiU as well and since the first rumor came out, give or take a year ago, I have yet to hear of a game that truly stood out for the rest.

Maybe this extra time will be good for Nintendo though, with any game, there is bound to be some glitches somewhere, so this might allow more time for fixing those issues and potentially allowing them more time to acquire more game licenses.

I'll be honest though, based on what I've been hearing, I was almost 100% that WiiU would be made in 2011, by December time more or less.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
The Wii U has been slated for the second half of 2012 since the day it was announced. How is this news?

Nintendo only announced "2012." Even Nikkei's report before the formal announcement said middle of 2012.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:51 am Reply with quote
So they did say it was going to come out in 2012 (initially) I am not sure what website(s) I read, but I could have sworn I heard 2011.

None the less, thanks for the info Egan Loo. Must have forgotten about the Nikkei report article.

Now that I've had a chance to see a modern picture of the WiiU though, it almost looks like a enlarged Nintendo Dual Screen, but with a much larger screen and much more powerful central processing unit.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:36 am Reply with quote
Who the hell cares? After the great console that was the Wii that had like 3 games worth playing, and the three best games xenoblade, last story, and panadora tower didn't even get released in the US.

Nintendo except with families, and people with the mental capacity of a crow, enticed by shiny things, have not roped in any hardcore gamers with any of there system since the 64. The majority of the people I know, that got the Wii, stopped using the Wii a month or two after buying it.

Honestly the only reason to watch the Wii is to see if it crashes and burns and takes Nintendo with it.
infjeff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Who the hell cares? After the great console that was the Wii that had like 3 games worth playing, and the three best games xenoblade, last story, and panadora tower didn't even get released in the US.

Nintendo except with families, and people with the mental capacity of a crow, enticed by shiny things, have not roped in any hardcore gamers with any of there system since the 64. The majority of the people I know, that got the Wii, stopped using the Wii a month or two after buying it.

Honestly the only reason to watch the Wii is to see if it crashes and burns and takes Nintendo with it.

3 games worth playing? I guess I must have imagined both Super Mario Galaxies, Zelda Twilight Princess (and Skyward Sword), Brawl, Muramasa, Monster Hunter Tri, Okami, No More Heroes, Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Wii-bashing. It's so fresh and original.
Veroniku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:02 pm Reply with quote
^This.

The Wii was a great success on the market, no amount of bashing will change that fact.

But it seems the market doesn't trust the WiiU will be that big of a success.

Personally I'll wait until I try the WiiU before judging it. But I really didn't expect it before Xmas 2012 myself.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
No shock here. If it was coming in 2011 they would have said it at E3. Additionally, what home console has launched before June (heck, i'll go as far as to say October) in the last 25 years?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
infjeff wrote:
3 games worth playing? I guess I must have imagined both Super Mario Galaxies, Zelda Twilight Princess (and Skyward Sword), Brawl, Muramasa, Monster Hunter Tri, Okami, No More Heroes, Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Wii-bashing. It's so fresh and original.

Unlike the Wii unfortunately since most of the "worth playing" games on the Wii are just ports of GC games. When you put those aside you basically are left with literally a handful of games worth playing. (A few more if you count those three JRPGs Nintendo won't release here).

It's basically the Super Mario Galaxies, Brawl which was good if a bit underwhelming...that's about it. Muramasa was okay. NMH kinda sucked. I never played DKCR or Tri so I don't know. Maybe they're decent. Even given the benefit of the doubt, at best, that's seven games. So...really? That's your big "take that" in defence of the Wii? "No! There aren't three Wii games worth playing...there are seven!" That's really really not good dude.

Well...hopefully Skyward Sword and Kirby will be good and maybe Nintendo will finally pull their head out of their ass and release Xenoblade, Last Story and Pandora's Tower. Then the Wii could actually at least have a decent last hurrah over it's last year. Lord knows Nintendo needs it given their apparent financial status.
Anthony.P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote
infjeff wrote:
Unlike the Wii unfortunately since most of the "worth playing" games on the Wii are just ports of GC games. When you put those aside you basically are left with literally a handful of games worth playing. (A few more if you count those three JRPGs Nintendo won't release here).

It's basically the Super Mario Galaxies, Brawl which was good if a bit underwhelming...that's about it. Muramasa was okay. NMH kinda sucked. I never played DKCR or Tri so I don't know. Maybe they're decent. Even given the benefit of the doubt, at best, that's seven games. So...really? That's your big "take that" in defence of the Wii? "No! There aren't three Wii games worth playing...there are seven!" That's really really not good dude.

Well...hopefully Skyward Sword and Kirby will be good and maybe Nintendo will finally pull their head out of their ass and release Xenoblade, Last Story and Pandora's Tower. Then the Wii could actually at least have a decent last hurrah over it's last year. Lord knows Nintendo needs it given their apparent financial status.

Well, aside that list, there's Kirby's Epic Yarn, Mario Kart Wii, Elebits, both Rune Factories, de Blob (and it's sequel, although I haven't gotten around to it), Wario Land: Shake It!, Boom Blox, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, A Boy and His Blob, Sonic Colors, Punch-Out!!, MadWorld, Zack and Wiki, and Little King's Story. If you look back at the Wii's release period between 2009-2010, the amount of quality games grew exponentially. Honestly, I don't really see much stock in the "port" argument outside of several Capcom titles (Okami and Resident Evil 4) and the Klonoa remake. Feel free to add any that slipped my mind.

This isn't particularly aimed at you, but I remain convinced those who still spout the "lolz the Wii only has five good games" rubbish either remain locked in time after the E3 '08 incident or weren't really paying attention during the last few years. Granted, I'll admit the above list might not quite match the library of titles found on 360/PS3, and yes, the whole Xenoblade/Last Story/Pandora's Tower thing was unfortunate. Then again, I wasn't really surprised since Nintendo fans tend to only buy their own games rather than branching out to third parties (and even then, only Mario and Zelda are guaranteed purchases), so NOA probably thought it wouldn't be worth the effort. Seeing as how the Wii U will finally be up to standards, I'd imagine this problem won't be as severe.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
This thread just became a console war. Surprised

Anyways.........

ikillchicken wrote:

A few more if you count those [random number of] JRPGs [game company] won't release here

That's your big "take that" in defence of the [console]? "No! There aren't three [console] games worth playing...there are seven!" That's really really not good dude.

This applies to the 360 and PS3 as well.

Especially when you take into account many of the best games never make it here, it's just as small as the Wii's library.

If you want a console with lots of good games to play, go get a handheld console(the DS is by far the best console as of right now) or a PC(to pirate games from all other consoles...).
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:46 am Reply with quote
No way. Kirby's Epic Yarn was just epicly monotonous due to it's utter lack of difficulty. Mario Kart Wii wasn't any good either. Terrible rubber banding and too much reused content. MadWorld was an intriguing game but it ultimately failed to to totally bland and monotonous gameplay. Also, is Sonic Colors really anything more than just passable, and only distinguished by the fact that every other recent Sonic game was not?

Rune Factory and Tatsunoko vs Capcom are good I hear if you're into those. New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Punch-Out!! I never played myself either but yeah, fair enough.

Honestly, I don't know about a lot of the more obscure stuff you mentioned. de Blob, Elebits, Boom Blox, Boy and his Blob, Zack and Wiki, Little King's Story. I'll admit you have a point in that, around 2008 I stopped paying especially close attention to Nintendo. Maybe there have been a few more games since then that flew under my radar.

Gon*Gon wrote:
This applies to the 360 and PS3 as well.

Especially when you take into account many of the best games never make it here, it's just as small as the Wii's library.

Lol. Come on dude. How can you even say that with a straight face? Look, If people want to claim that there totally are more than a few games worth playing on the Wii...well maybe. However, to try and pretend that there are only a few worthwhile games on PS3 or 360 is just absurd fanboyism.

I mean, off the top of my head, just this year alone we've seen Mass Effect 2, Portal 2, Dragon Age 2, Infamous 2, Dark Souls, Deus Ex, Catharine, Batman: Arkham City. (And chances are you'll be able to add Uncharted 3, Skyrim and maybe MW3 or Battlefield to that list by years end). Plus that's just the really good stuff. You could also add Resistance 3, Dead Space 2 and a number of other playable if generally underwhelming games to that list.

Where as, even giving Wii fans the benefit of the doubt, at best you can scrape together what? Maybe 20 games across the entire life of the console? That averages out to all of four a year. And that's not even holding to an especially high standard. Just "games worth playing".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2