• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can we have better links to reviews like on Hulu or iTunes?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjnoahjames

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote
First off I love AnimeNewsNetwork but I'm bother immensely by one thing;

I can't see other peoples, or read their reviews, with out doing a lot of work!!!

Wouldn't it be nice if it was set up like Hulu, Netflix, I-Tunes, IMDB, CrunchyRoll where underneath the description and ratings for the Animes a box with recent reviews might cycle through? Or at least give us one single click to see our own/other reviewers reviews.

I mean I just realized I've been writing reviews non stop and it's a waste if no one sees them. I try to read other peoples and it's really annoying.

I'm thinking about leaving and going to a site where more people will see them, and where I can read other reviews with ease.

Could you people at Anime News Network let us know that you are working on this or something??!! This would be a great way to combat NICONICO by offering a place still to go with more than strict info but also peoples opinions. I really love the site except for this. but it's a big this.

[EDIT: Please don't type in all caps. It makes you look rude and/or stupid. -TK]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:37 pm Reply with quote
TK: perhaps it makes a poster look rude or stupid but at least it prompted some kind of response. Unlike my own new feature request thread directly below this one which has gone unacknowledged for close to a month.

Any suggestions as to how we can get responses from the appropriate authority to new feature requests?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm not even sure what you mean by "reviews".

This site doesn't have user reviews on videos or in the encyclopedia. Our reviews can be found under the "reviews" tab at the top, and those are all written by staff critics, not users.

Additionally, we aren't in competition with NicoNico.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I actually do have a request for reviews. When I click on the reviews button (under views) it takes fifty seconds to load the page. Yes, I timed it.

However, if reviews were grouped together (like #-E, F-K, L-P et cetera) then it wouldn't be such a hassle to view them.

You would go views -> reviews -> F-K (for example) and then look at the titles.

Workable?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I actually do have a request for reviews. When I click on the reviews button (under views) it takes fifty seconds to load the page. Yes, I timed it.

However, if reviews were grouped together (like #-E, F-K, L-P et cetera) then it wouldn't be such a hassle to view them.

Workable?

That's a good (and easy) temporary solution to that page's many problems. I'll take it up with Dan.

I'm hoping for a total overhaul of how reviews are archived sometime in the not-too-distant future.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Workable?

Our new servers should solve the delay problem. That said, we might still overhaul that page sometime soon to make it a bit more dynamic and customizable.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
jjnoahjames wrote:

Wouldn't it be nice if it was set up like Hulu, Netflix, I-Tunes, IMDB, CrunchyRoll where underneath the description and ratings for the Animes a box with recent reviews might cycle through? Or at least give us one single click to see our own/other reviewers reviews.

Unfortunately what you're asking for wouldn't be possible. The comments section is not limited exclusively to reviews, or even comments about the anime itself. It's a free form comment field that each myAnime user can chose how to use. So while you use it for reviews, another user might use it for something entirely different.

That said, well keep the idea in mind. Perhaps well add a "review" field to myAnme in the future explicitly for reviews so that they can be used in the wa you suggest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1