• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shane Black Describes Changes He Opposed to Warner's Death Note

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:29 am Reply with quote
I'm glad he emphasized that he did not support the proposed changes. People in the last article were going on about how "DEATH NOTE IS RUINED FOREVERRRR BAWWWW" when Shane Black was talking about how he did not support those changes.
Getsuga311

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:33 am Reply with quote
whilst i had absolutely no expectations for this i have 2 say that SB opposing those damn awful studio changes has given me some hope for this after all, making it about vengeance and having no Ryuk would have turned an amazing manga storyline into another dead as a doornail Hollywood film
still though, im not getting my hopes up just yet, but it is good to hear that it could be an accurate adaptation at least
broken-serenity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:57 am Reply with quote
We still have the Akira remake to be fearfull of as so far we've heard nothign that says that will turn out as anything other than a standard hollywood clunker...also theres still time for warners to ruin death note once it hit post production(i doubt the shinigami will resemble the japanese ones at all for instance and wouldnt be surprised if the whole friend of lights angle resurfaces there).
Kaibaman21

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:07 am Reply with quote
Again I have to give props to Shane Black although I could see the version of Light becoming "The Villain" happen but if done right, we saw two different origins of Light using the note for killing criminals. The One from the manga testing if it were indeed real saving two innocent lives in the process of a crime. And the other where in the Live Action Origin where Light went into the Police Mainframe database seeing Murderers and Rapists getting away free while petty criminals got Jail Time and such and his view of the Law shattered.

Again that Third Version of Light's Origin could work if done right even if the Death Gods didn't exsist but I am glad Shane Black knows what he's apart of and said Hell No and opposed the changes. But I agree with the one poster about us fearing the Akira adaptation.

I may barely have seen anything directly to Akira but even I knew the changes are messed up practically destroying the original source material...hey Dragon Ball Evolution Haters,ATLEAST THAT DID TAKE PLACE IN JAPAN And not a full American Cast.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:17 am Reply with quote
It's cool that he opposed changes and all, but it feels a bit inappropriate for him to talk about internal discussions to get some props for himself
NeumanProductions

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
It's cool that he opposed changes and all, but it feels a bit inappropriate for him to talk about internal discussions to get some props for himself
I wouldn't say he was giving props to himself as i'm sure he was hounded during his panel with questions revolving around the movie and just wanted to give enough information to satisfy the fans.

As for the backstory, yea it would have been possible but then again how many other stories has Hollywood put out that involves revenge always as the central motive of someone going bad. The strength of Death Note lies in its theme where evil really isn't all black and white.

As can be recalled some of the actions L took, such as using a criminal to protray himself to test how Kira kills, was taken as displeasing by some/most of the task force as can be recalled by Mr. Yagami's reaction.

The changing of hands of the DeathNote to the others in both the anime/manga and Japan movie adaptation showed how different people would have different motives for killing.

It was overall the presence of L that changed the way Light handled things. Light probably would have simple continued with criminals if he wasn't hunted down. But it is indeed that intense rivalry between ideals that gives this series its strength.

Basically summed up in a single sentence that we all recognize a being repeated by L and Light simultaneously, "I am Justice!"
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote
Ugh, changing Lights back story to make him some kind of tortured soul who is trying to mend a prior trauma sounds awful. I liked the fact that Light started out as a decent, law-abiding citizen, but through his self-righteousness, arrogance, and addiction to power and control, turned into a real villain. Giving him a tragic back story sounds like an attempt to garner sympathy for the character, and part of the fun of Death Note is that Light is a character you love to hate.
I don't have any hopes for this movie, but at least the director had the good sense to not completely change the tone of the story.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad Shane Black has a head on his shoulders.

If they had changed Light's plan from achieving his sense of justice to revenge, it would have ruined the bigger picture of his battle against L.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote
It takes some serious cojones of steel to stand up to Warner Brothers and go "HELL no, we're not changing this for accessibility purposes. It's fine the way it is!", so I'm glad to see Shane Black doing just that.

If only the writers of the new Akira had taken that stance...
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Oh christ...
hitokiriizo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote
i'll bet they'll fire him and get someone who's gonna kiss WB's butt and support their "awesome changes that make DN 100% better" aka dumbed down for typical us audiences who want evil to be black and white and they'll probably make light a college student from the start to avoid the "what!!!!!!!! a kid kills people?!?!?!?!?!" over protective "won't someone think of the children" crowd
Jackstick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Starring Johnny Depp as L.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
From reading how Shane Black didn't want any changes made on Warner Bros's live-action Deathnote, I praise him for doing this. I wish we had more people like him when it comes to adapting anime/manga/video game into live-action. I don't oppose live-action adaptation no matter what country does it. I've seen some bad adaptation coming out of Asia that include Japan, I was not impressed on how Japan adapt Negima into a live-action TV Show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I actually wouldn't mind that change in background as long he did eventually develop his god complex. Him killing a violent criminal was how his first kill in the anime went anyways. I actually think that being the first kill would cement his "I am justice" mindset even more than him killing the random rapist that he saw in the anime.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Kaibaman21 wrote:
hey Dragon Ball Evolution Haters,ATLEAST THAT DID TAKE PLACE IN JAPAN

Oh man, that's funny, tell us another one.

Anyway, yeah, how much does everyone wanna bet Shane gets tossed off the project once or before it's greenlit and they end up getting someone who approves of WB's idiotic changes?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3