• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: LA Times Article on Steamboy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:50 am Reply with quote
He's done some decent work, but I would hardly compare Otomo to Kubrick. (I realize that isn't what the article is really about, by the way.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
toru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:27 am Reply with quote
A person still bound by the spell of AKIRA expects AKIRA to STEAMBOY.
RZetlin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:38 am Reply with quote
It seems Roger Ebert doesn't like the movie.

He said the story sucked.
bigbigtruck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to it - there should be a review in this week's Austin Chronicle.
I actually like Otomo's short stories better than Akira, so maybe this will be closer to that sort of thing...
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Ebert saw the English re-dub which according to the latest Animerica has almost 20 minutes cut out of it.

One can also assume there may have been some script changes that effected the story line.

I'll skip the re-dub and go to a theater with the uncut subtitled version.
Tondog38

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:16 pm Reply with quote
RZetlin wrote:
It seems Roger Ebert doesn't like the movie.

He said the story sucked.
Odd, because he usually loves every anime movie he sees.
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
just came back from watching the dub, and i must say, as the passionate dub-hater that i am, i was pleased with this one. sony did a wonderful job with the cast.

and now, since i had the pleasure of watching the uncut, subbed version at TIFF 6 months ago, here's the list of cuts I've noticed:
WARNING!!! THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS POTENTIAL SPOILERS!!! IF YOU haven't SEEN THE MOVIE PROCEED AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

right from the start, they skiped the little exchange between Edward and Lloyd about how long it will take for the water to replanish itself in the cave. then the scene where the steamball is created is also cut short, taking out the O-hara foundation officials watching everything blow up. then, if i remember right the part where we see Ray walking around town, looking at the London Exhibition posters is where the original intro credits were, that was also skipped. after that i cant rememebr much that was cut, but i think the scene where we are introduced to scarlet was cut a bit short, i do believe there was a close up shot of her on the boat. then jump all the way to the grand battle, the initial fight of the one Steam Trooper inside the room with the Scotland Yard was cut and they skipped straight to the officers rushing outside, being chased. and they probobly cut a bit of Ray's flying. thats all i could tell after, and someone correct me if im wrong on any of those.

Last edited by TMBounty_Hunter on Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
rlcoon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:45 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see any anime given a theatrical release.
I saw Akira when that was in the theatres and I'll be seeing this this weekend in Boston. The subbed uncut version, of course. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Proman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Does this make Miyazaki the "Spielberg of anime" Wink ? Just kidding.
By they way, how many of you have seen Otomo's "World Appartment Complex"? That's his only live action movie to date. It's actually pretty good.
jfrog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
Does this make Miyazaki the "Spielberg of anime" Wink ? Just kidding.

I think I read an article once where they compared Miyazaki to a Japanese Spielberg, but I always thought that Oshii was the Kubrick of anime. Otomo has way too much fun for that comparison to be valid. Still need to see World Apartment Horror...isn't it based on a Satoshi Kon manga, too?

And re: Ebert - I love his screenplays to death (anyone here seen Beyond the Valley of the Dolls?) and I love the way he talks smack about Vincent Gallo, but he's really crap as a reviewer. I mean, the guy liked Garfield: The Movie more than Blue Velvet. Don't trust his opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:17 am Reply with quote
I don't see the whole Otomo/Kubrick connection either. If you compare his manga to Kubrick's typical subject matterial, then maybe. And I don't see Oshii as the "Japanese Kubrick" either. Neither director has reached the quality and wide range of Kubrick's films.
As Streamboy, I get the impression that many people thought they were in for something a bit deeper and were disapointed. Haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure it's mearly an action romp with amazing animation (which is fine by me). As for Ebert, while some of his reviews are questionable, this does not mean his opinion it to be ignored. I find most of his reviews are very well done. And while I'm sure Garfield made the lame strip it was based on look like genius, Blue Velvet is overrated, except for Hopper's preformance. Interesting flick with good directing, but I'm not going to sit down in a cafe with a couple of Lynchian snobs and debate the films brilliance for 4 hours.
jfrog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:10 am Reply with quote
I don't like Kubrick that much...too impersonal, easier to respect his movies than to actually get into them. Got way more out of Cannon Fodder or Patlabor II than any of Kubrick's films (save maybe Dr Strangelove, which was brilliant). I just made the 'Japanese Kubrick' thing since that's the comparison that I see EVERYWHERE.

And yeah, Blue Velvet is overrated and I'm certainly not someone who worships everthing Lynch has done (I walked out of Mulholland Drive, even liked Dune more), but it's still a great movie. That was just one example...could probably think of more. I've just learned that I don't trust his opinion very much personally and I have no idea why he's considered to be the golden standard of movie reviewers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stormkoopa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:20 am Reply with quote
I saw Steamboy this morning, I'm happy that the only theater in the whole southeast that's playing it is 5 miles from me. Very Happy
Same as Akira it was simply amazing to look at but the story was ok. I feel the same way about Kubrick. Though to be fair I've heard that the Akira movie was a mangled adaptation of the original manga.
As far as the dub of Steamboy goes, when I found out the movie is set in England I had nightmares about the attemped British accents they were going to turn out. Everyone was quite good though, even Anna Paquin did suprisingly convicing British boy's voice, I wouldn't have even recognized her if I didn't know it was her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1