• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TANK S.W.A.T. 01 Site and Trailer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimEdge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Besides the Stiff Movement/Animation is doesnt look that bad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote
That looked more like a PSX game. The models looked terrible. The trailer looked like it was some guys pet project. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
tekwych

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:21 pm Reply with quote
The art does nothing for me but I enjoyed the music. Who's the artist?
pi8you

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:32 am Reply with quote
Looks to me like it'll be an adaptation/continuation of the Dominion: Conflict story arc, as they mention Conflict specifically at the start of the trailer and (at least) one of the Puma twins is shown in a police uniform alongside Leona. Though I'd miss Buaku's presence, it'd actually be for the better as none of the old animation came from the Conflict arc, meaning that this project isn't just rehashing old ground with a new look. I guess I'm not so much worried about that though, as to how much of Domion's humor will carry over, and how well it will come across with this style.

Having seen Romanov's work in the past(and other things produced with a similar cel shading technique) I'm still somewhat mixed about the visual style, so I won't comment further on that here. The music(from the trailer anyhow), however, feels fairly appropriate with a slightly older vibe that reminds me of You're Under Arrest. Lastly, I just want to know who approached who about this one, Shirow or Higa, as I could really see it going either way.

@ tekwych - Romanov Higa is the artist, notable for having done URDA and work on the game Gungrave OD(presumably the cutscene work), and Tank SWAT 01 is looking very much within his/her established style.

@ Renaisance Otaku - Technically, it is something of a pet project, as it's being funded as part of a government initiative promoting independent animation. With Romanov being the only name attached so far, and Romanov's past solo efforts, it only makes it seem moreso.
tekwych

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:18 am Reply with quote
pi8you wrote:
@ tekwych - Romanov Higa is the artist, notable for having done URDA and work on the game Gungrave OD(presumably the cutscene work), and Tank SWAT 01 is looking very much within his/her established style.

Thanks but I meant the Musical artist. I'm trying to expand my collection of Japanese music but am having trouble finding a way to sample artists without shelling out for a full disc. I have been pushing both ADVP and Apple to work together, offering a anime music section on Apples music store and offering iTunes and a few song samples on the NTUSA disc each month.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Don't know why I never got around to putting in my 2 cents.

Well, as for me I support anything 'Shirow'. Of course I wouldn't have expected them to do a 3D CGI animated flick. I guess with the succession of the 3D CGI 'Appleseed' I guess it was time to do one for 'Dominion'. Maybe they felt it would fit well. Now mind you I like 3D CGI animation as the next person but at the same time I don't like when they try to do an entire film this way, because it never looks right. Doing flicks using this medium always seem stick and very "slow". They would have been better doing a 2D animated one with computer assistance or a live action version. Neither one of them are cheap to do. Computer work is just as expensive to do, but I guess it would be better to do it this way. Maybe it's cheap. But who knows why they wanted to do a CG version of this.

But hey, I'm there. Just like I'll be there to check out the new 'Appleseed' movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1