• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Image Issues Fixed, We think!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Announcements & The Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 8:31 pm Reply with quote
We believe that we have fixed the bugs affecting our implementation of certain rules that we put in place to keep people from stealing our bandwidth.

Right now our layout images are exempt from the rules, we aren't particularly worried about people stealing the blue background images. We did this so that even people who have messed up referrer information (see below) will still see the majority of the site properly.

Browsers' whose referrer info is something other than www.animenewsnetwork.com will not see any of the other images on the site.

The primary reason for a browser's referrer information to be something other than www.animenewsnetwork.com would be that the browser is looking at another website and that website is inline linking to ANN's images.

A secondary reason for a browser's referrer information to be other than www.animenewsnetwork.com would be if there is something (ie: Norton Internet Security) that blocks referrer information. We've made it so that browsers with blank referrer information will see the images (but this may change), however browsers with fake information will not.

Some people have programs that change the referrer information to something like "You Don't Need to Know." Well actually webmasters do need to know, not because we want to trace your internet browsing behavior, but because we want to make sure that our bandwidth isn't being stolen by another website. So if you go and break the http protocol, that's your problem. Change your referrer information to a blank string and everything should work again.

If you aren't seeing the images, and you don't have something that is supplying fake referrer information, please contact us at [out of date e-mail address]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Announcements & The Rules All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1