• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Rave Master DVD 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demaar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:37 am Reply with quote
I watched the first 15 or so eps of Groove Adventure Rave fansubbed (I think that was around the time Soldats stopped subbing it), and it was a pretty fun show to watch, if I recall rightly. I think I remember myself saying something along the lines of "This is how Final Fantasy Unlimited should have been done, a nice romp through a psuedo-past world with magic and swords.
I might have ended up buying the DVD's if they were done "right". But yeah, after this review and the one for the first volume, I'd say there's a better chance that I'd buy a Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura (or something even more girlie, if it exists out there.. [no offense to people who like mahou shoujo anime]) DVD.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
appleturbo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:48 pm Reply with quote
thanks for the review
I wish they could have done a better job on the show.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:47 am Reply with quote
This is one of the very few toonami animes that are being shown in both the US and the UK. Just wait for the later episodes, it gets worse if that's possible. What's also annoying about this is the clothing for the Haru and Elie. No matter how dirty, or torn they become after an action scene, the next act shows them wearing the same design clothing as if they were fresh off the racks. Elie never seems to find the cold, does she? Wink
ping

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:33 am Reply with quote
I think it's okay enough... Just kind of boring and predictable.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I think it's ok too. Sure it's not breathingly original Rolling Eyes and the battles seem to last too long but I just find it fun. I also like the stupid American jokes in it, in some weird way.

Quote:
When young Musica is trying to break into Lance's castle, for example, a guard holds a gun to his head and sneers, "Don't move. Tell me what you're doing here!" Musica's reply? "Selling girl scout cookies."

I missed this one on the show, but it made me laugh in the review... ^-^;
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, the jokes make it more American, but since the Japanese version sounds so cliche, I doubt I would have liked another typical shonen adventure stereotype. At least the dub tosses in some good jokes. I thought the writing for the first episode in particular was pretty funny, even though I knew right off the bat that it was Americanized. However, I can see why the reviewer doesn't like the jokes, as some do fall flat. Says the guy who can turn into a gas in episode 1: "Hey, mind if I smoke?"
Apterous

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:33 am Reply with quote
I watched all the fansubs, it turns into a really fun adventure anime. The manga is very well written, Tokyopop's "Oh, Snap!" and various edits aside.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
The manga is better then the anime I find, The anime is very Americanized because they don't feel that gambling addicts and alcoholics are appropriate for children. Also In the manga when Haru was under the tables Elie thought he was looking up her skirt and I think in the Japanese version they did that but in the Tokyo pop version he was a petty thief that went in without paying. Also I agree with the music rating, the opening theme is so bad! I don't think its music, I think it's torture!
SekiGatha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:20 am Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
Also I agree with the music rating, the opening theme is so bad! I don't think its music, I think it's torture!

Same here but I find the ending theme to be truly awful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Izlude

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I liked those big butt bandits, they were funny.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:30 pm Reply with quote
A really mediocre/bad anime.

Events and characters rarely make sense, character design is lame, animation of fights is absurdly bad.

"C" seems to be the right rating, indeed.

The only reason I am watching this is that Fairy Tail by the same author was lame (though not this bad) at the beginning but has become really good towards the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1