• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beanerman_99

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Im fairly new to Anime. Just started watching in the past year or two. Being rather older than your average anime fan,I am 33, I tend to like the more adult oriented shows.

1) Cowboy Bebop. I "cut my teeth" on this one. I was up late and flip the TV to Adult Swim and saw it on. I really couldn't figure out who was who and what the heck they were doing. I watch a few more episodes and realized each episode is a story unto itself. I really like the detail in the animation and the more mature characters and storys,(except for Ed). Recently bought the Perfect Collection and have watched it twice. Very cool show.

2) FLCL. Also watched this on Adult Swim. First thought "what the holy hell is going on in this show?" Most bizzare animation I had ever seen. hmmm very intriguing. Bought it and sat down and watched it all the way thourgh. Three times! I get more out of it with each viewing.

3)Ninja Scroll. Just recently bought this after it was recommended by a co-worker. I really like the characters here. The bad guys were very different and had very unique abilities. The coolest being the guy that hides in the shadows. Very mature, adult anime. Liked it.

4) Vampire Hunter D. Both movies on one DVD. The first really shows its age compared with todays anime but I thought it pretty interesting. I found myself wanting to know a lot more of the the back story of D and the thing on his hand. Was kinda disappointed that I didn't learn more. Seems to be the "norm" in many anime, they just jump right into the story with little to not background. The second move looked much better visually. All-around good purchase.

5) Ghost in the Shell. Had to watch it twice to understand it. Like it but wanted more out of it.

WORSE:
Since I am fairly new to anime most of what I see is on TV.

1) Super Milk Chan. Is this even considered anime or is it in its own class of Japanese Animstion? Anyways I hate it. I hate the animation. Looks like a cheaply made Saturday morning cartoon. And I won't even pretend like I understand it at all. Supposedly parodying Japanese stuff. I don't live there so I don't get it.

2)The Dragonball series. What is this? How long can it possibly take to tell a story? Ugh. My head hurts just thinking about this awful show. Even my 8 year old nephew hates it. 'Nuff Said.

3)Hellsing. I have mixed feelings about this show. The first couple episodes were very very good. The characters introduced were interesting to say the least. The story was setting me up for some good action in a mature fashion. About midway through the series everything goes down hill fast. I felt like I was being physically pushed to the end because the creators were tired of the story and wanted to rush to wrap it up. Even the animation seems less cared for at the end, not so much detail. So based on how I felt at the beginning of the show it would have made my top list. But after the dismal ending its going here.

So thats my list so far. I've watch some more anime than I have listed here. I will continue my search for the more adult series and movies. I here good things about Berserk...may have to buy it..
scorpioEDC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
So far I have already posted 7 favorites.

Here is another one.

Kite - maybe considered as an adult anime. An anime consists of both actions of explicit sex and violence. However, in comparison, the strong point of this anime is the action of violence not sex. To an adult, the depiction of rape and the explicit sex in this movie are nothing special - what else can you expect. On the contrary, the actions of violence in this movie would simply stun you.

There is nothing special about the story in this anime. It is a simple story about two teen assasins - the girl is Sawa and the boy is Oburi. According to the director, the name 'Kite' of this movie is a metaphor - the freedom and the actions of someone are being controlled and constrained. You can fly but under how I tell you to fly.

To me, no other Hollywood action movies (Die Hard, The Matrix, Natural born killers or Kill Bill etc.) have the same magnitude of intensity. Although this anime has been compared with the French movie Nikita, in comparison, the actions in Nikita are quite mild.

Anyway, under North American standard, this movie is rated X - in other words, if you are under 18....sorry.

If people have problem with Janet Jackson in the SuperBowl, the gun fight scene in The Martix, or playing video game Grand Theft Auto, this anime should be banned and burnt in hell.

Be warned, don't try this movie at home if you are still getting money from your parents.
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Let's see...

Cowboy Bebop. From the first time I saw this series, I absolutely loved it. It has such *style*, which isn't such a bad thing in my book. I have a long history of liking things that are visually stylish. And I really like the characters, especially Spike. Very Happy Yoko Kanno's music is amazing.

Escaflowne. What a beautifully-done series. And once again, Kanno does a great soundtrack.

RahXephon. People call it an Eva-ripoff, but since I haven't really seen NGE I can't compare them. The animation is very good, & it has a great story. I especially like how they switched the POV to the main female character in the movie version. It made it more of a love-story, & a great one at that.

Trigun. At first I thought I would hate this series because Vash is so silly at the beginning. But once Vash gets serious, the series improves greatly.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. This show plays like a live-action Cyberpunk crime-drama, & that's what I like about it. More great music from Kanno.

Hellsing. Besides Bebop, I think this one has a great dub. And the fact that Alucard really enjoys being a vampire makes it different.

Excel Saga. It appeals to my silly side. The show is nuts! I will probably like Cromartie High School too.

Can't think of anymore right now.

Tammy
Neclord516

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:32 am Reply with quote
Top 10 Favorites:

1) Hajime no Ippo: Love boxing and this series does such a great job of mixing storytelling and great boxing fights.

2) Berserk: Gatz is one of my favorite anime characters and I love the gory action and awesome story.

3) Gungrave: Brandon Heat is a very deep and interesting character and I love the ending.

4) Elfen Leid: The story is very intriguing and I love the bloody violence.

5) Hellsing: Alucard is a very sweet sadistic character and the story is awesome.

6) Rurouni Kenshin: Has the best fight in anime history: Kenshin vs. Saito. I love the sword action and the characters are so deep and well developed.

7) Scryed: It has amazing fight scenes.

8) Neon Genesis Evangelion: The story is so deep and the characters are so well developed. Downside is the story gets quite weird towards the conclusion.

9) Cowboy Bebop: Very stylish and I love that each episode contains a seperate story that usually involves Spike and Jet chasing down some bounties.

10) Trigun: Wolfwood is an awesome character and I like that Vash the Stampede is different from most protagonists since he won't kill anyone.

5 Least Favorites

1) FLCL: It's boring and I hate how the whole thing is setup.

2) Blue Gender: Too boring for my tastes.

3) Sailor Moon: Way too much girl power.

4) Tekken Movie: Horrible fight sequences and animation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kourin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Well here are my current favorties. I'm fickle, so my list is always changing.

Top Ten Favs

1~Naruto
Naruto has one thing that many anime series doesn't have in this day and age...heart. The harsh reality of not being accepted because of the fact that you are "different" from everybody else is something that many kids and adults have to deal with in this world.

2~Wolf's Rain
WR is such an emotional and beautiful series that has all the makings of a Greek Tragedy, which is why I love it. A group of heroes seeking out "paradise" and...

spoiler[right before they reach it they die...]

3~Fruits Basket
A very humorous series with a female heroine that isn't *gasp* annoying? Cute characters with a slice of life thrown in for good measure.

4~Chrono Crusade
I love this series because of the relationship between Rosette and Chrno. It also has a kick-a** villian.

5~The Twelve Kingdoms
12 Kingdoms had a story that completely engrossed me from the start. It's slow at times, but I never found myself bored with it. I wish that they hadn't dropped the project. I was ready for 45 more episodes ^^ !

6~Saiyuki (all)
This one is my guilty pleasure. Four bishounen heading to India to stop the revival of the youkai Gyumaoh, but always seems to get side-tracked. The character interaction is what makes this series so great imo.

7~Neon Genesis Evangelion
I cannot possibly say anything about this series that hasn't already been said except for drew me to it. The strong base of religion. And not just one religion...many were touched upon. From the Kabbalah to Christianity. A very complex series to say the least...

8~Vision of Escaflowne
Ok...I'm starting to run out of things to say -_- ...Escaflowne has an immensly beautiful story along with a beautiful music score from the very talented Yoko Kanno (who also did the music Wolf's Rain btw)

9~Fullmetal Alchemist
FMA is a series that can go dark on you rather quick. I guess that's what drew me to it in the first place.

10~Samurai Champloo
Hip-Hop style in feudal Japan. You gotta love the comedy duo Mugen and Jin ^^ .

Top Anime I Hate

1~Reign the Conquerer
First off, I would like to state the fact that I've always been fascinated with Alexander the Great. In fact, it was because of my fascination with him and his exploits that I decided to make History my major at college. Needless to say that, when I heard about this anime that was going to be aired on Adult Swim about him, I was very exicted...Boy was I disappointed. First was the historical accuracy...or the lack there of rather, but the main thing was the animation. *gag*

2~Ninja Scroll:The Movie
Too much senseless voilence and nudity. Within twenty minutes, I had already taken the movie out of my dvd player.

Believe it or not, those are the only two anime I've seen that I actually hated.
Cthulhu33

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:25 pm Reply with quote
MY 1st POST ON ANN!!!! and it had to be this one. I have been a mild anime fun for a long time but it wasn't until last year that I became ravenous and gathered everything I could. So with no further adieu, my top 10 anime list.

10) Vampire Hunter D- it really got me started on Anime. I remeber watching this movie and thinking WOW if they only made more cartoons like this. Yeah thats how it all got started so long ago.

9) Initial D- Ha 2 D's in a row. This series could really be my 3rd fav but I put it lower to save room. I love the cars and the racing. It turned me into a tuner. It is great.

8) Chrono Crusade- I love this anime. Occult, guns, historical settings, demons and hot nuns. I'm sold how about you.

7) Vandread- Like other the first time I saw this anime I was like WTF, but it grew on me and I think it is really great. I never liked mecha anime before but this anime changed me. Plus it is so fun when my wife calls me "Mr. Alien".

6) Neon Genisis Evangelion- I haven't seen the ending yet but i am really impressed with what I have seen so far. I have heard people mention the ending and frankly I am a little worried. I keep coming back to it though.

5) Full Metal Alchemist- It made me a religious Adult Swim fan and I am completely hooked on this series. I can't wait to see the end.

4) Gantz- I am going to do this Reading Rainbow style so stay with me. If you like graphic nudity, adult content, graphic violence like you could ever imagine, guns and aliens then you will LOVE this anime. Seriously if you can get by the low episode # on the disks it is so worth the watch.

3) Samurai Champloo- OH MY GOD (what god) I never thougth that hip hop and fuedal Japan could ever mix but by god they did it. The fight scenes are intense, the diologue is hilarious, and the charcters and unforgetable and I haven't even seen past the 1 disk. If you don't have it it is a must for 2005. Seriously.

2) Bleach- I stumbled upon this gem and I haven't regreted it. I am NOT a big comedy fan but seriously this is both funny and action filled. It has everything I love about anime. When this series finally gets licensed I will buy it for sure. Kan is my favorite charcter and he never fails to make me die laughing.

1) Samurai Deeper Kyo- I don't think anyone has mentioned this series yet but I will. I picked this anime up on a whim and it began my year long scramble for all things anime. Seriously it is my all time favorite. It is hard to understand first time through but I was never disappointed. This anime is like my favorite child and I will always come back to it. I love it.

Now for my least favorite of all anime.

1) DBZ- it kind of got me started on anime but it lost me quickly there after. I mean 20 minutes of screaming and moaning and it takes like 5 episodes to get threw a whole fight. KERIST( in my southern drawl) this anime is like watching paint dry.

2) Macross- I kinow I am probably committing a blasphemy but i didn't understand it one little bit. I mean it was cool but whats up with music and ......I don't know, me confused.

3) Divergence Eve- I have only seen the first episode but that was enough. Noe I like fanservice as much as the next guy but seriously. BOOBS DON'T LOOK LIKE THAT. Maybe it is funny and I am missing the joke.

4) .Hack//Twilight- I like the manga better.
woking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:13 am Reply with quote
1. My favorite Anime over all times (today) has to be My HiME.
it is geniusley drawed and has a good and unexpected twist

2. Crhono crusade
this i think was the first anime i ewer saw and i still watch it ewery once in a wille... a bit foggy and dark drawing style but, realy a exelent anime

3. Shura no toki
this is on third because of the main caracter(s)
i love the cind of life he/they live... carlesley and without mony
plus it is a fun anime

4. Naruto
naruto is the cind of anime that you dont like to mutch and not mutch realy happens in each episode but it is well drawed and you realy want to know what happens next ewen thoug it is probobly a big disapointment ennyway

5. GTO
This is a greate pice of anime and you realy get cougt up in it

Hate

i dont use the word hate to mutch but some thing deserve this title

1. Gokusen
Now people... there are some limits to what you can like and this anime is about 5 miles on the wrong side of the border... it is a losy storry and plott and.... i have no words it is ¤%#!¤ bad
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:58 pm Reply with quote
1. Azumanga Daioh- because it makes me laugh
2. Love Hina- because its just plain fun to watch
3. Naruto- ninjas roxorz
4. Initial D- kick ass racing stuff
5. My-HIME- this show just gets better by the episode
6. Tenchi Muyo- Ryoko is a goddess among goddesses
7. A!MG- Belldandy and Urd, need I say more
8. Evangelion- Rey Ayanami is all anyone needs
9. Sailor Moon- cosmic moon power compels you to watc
10. Nuku Nuku OVA- who can't love that show
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:01 am Reply with quote
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:
1. Azumanga Daioh- because it makes me laugh
2. Love Hina- because its just plain fun to watch
3. Naruto- ninjas roxorz
4. Initial D- kick ass racing stuff
5. My-HIME- this show just gets better by the episode
6. Tenchi Muyo- Ryoko is a goddess among goddesses
7. A!MG- Belldandy and Urd, need I say more
8. Evangelion- Rey Ayanami is all anyone needs
9. Sailor Moon- cosmic moon power compels you to watc
10. Nuku Nuku OVA- who can't love that show

Hm...are these really considered reason enough? I mean, I know we're not looking for descriptive essays or anything, but these seem awfully sparse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
carnivalcreepa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:15 pm Reply with quote
In no particular order.

1. InuYasha: My favorite. Eventhough it was a little long with a lot of filler, this show has everything. Some episodes are funny and some have a lot of action.
2. Cowboy Bebop: Really needs no explanation.
3. Dragonball Z: Although most people really don't seem to like it I think it is one of the best action shows I've ever seen. Plus it seems like no matter what the situation I can relate it to Dragonball Z.
4. Trigun: One thing I like about this show is how for the first half it's really funny and for the second half it's dead serious. Pretty good action as well.
5. Fullmetal Alchemist: Good story, good characters, and decent fight scenes. Winry is a great character, every episode with her in it is funny.
6. Ranma 1/2: Probably the funniest series I've ever seen. It seems that almost every time I watch this someone walks in and sees boobs on the screen. A little embarassing.
7. .Hack//Sign: Really good story but can be slow at times. I love the music and how it relates to the games and other .Hack series.
8. Street Fighter 2: Really good movie. One of the few good animes based on games.
9. Akira: Probably the best anime movie ever made.
10. Rurouni Kenshin: Probably has the best fight scenes I've ever seen in an anime. That and I seem to like all the characters, especially Kenshin.
gas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Here is the list of my Top Ten Favorite Anime:

1. Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal - Best anime of all time i dont know y u wouldn't want to watch it. recomended for all from me.

2.Rurouni Kenshin: Tv - I'm a big fan of this anime, very well done in everything. My favorite part is the story the story is really nice. Check it out guys if u haven't seen it.

3.Full Metal Alchemist - The reason i like this anime is because of the plot, and how it all ended. i thought taht the ending was way beyond awesomeness. watch it if u can tell whats going on.

4.Detective Conan - I know you all may think this anime has terrible drawing, i agree too but the humor and all mystery stuff makes up for the drawing. Its a really cool anime, Fourth Favorite.

5.FLCL - Or furikuri like u may heard. This anime takes you beyond ur imagination, i think what makes this anime so cool is also the story of it. Yea i know i only like my animes because of the story......not all true, this anime has great music!!! Just like many others in my top ten.

6. Naruto - Yea very popular anime. I think its pretty good. Number one thing i like about this anime is the humor that it has.

7.Grave of the fireflies - One of the best movie i had watched in my life. very very sad,(as in unhappy not bad). check it out. guaranteed to cry

8.Spirited AWay - Yep another movie by Hayao Miyazaki. This guy is awesome he makes the best movies out there.

9.Mononoke HIme - Yea its by the same dude as Spirited AWay too. Very good movie.

10.Inuyasha - i dont got much to say about this one except that it is very well done in everything.
Abarekiller

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quote
first off the anime that I love

1. One Piece- The characters, plot, and story arcs are just so addicting at times it keeps me on the edge of my seat for hours and hours plus the characters are very appealing and the villians were made out very great, theres so much emotion, humor, romance, action, adventure, and a whole lot more genres mixed into it I just don't know where to start.

2. Full Metal Panic- Similar to One Piece the story, plot, and characters are all very great, the mecha fight scenes so well choregraphed, the mysterious Lambda Driver, and Kaname Chidori. Plus the music just plain rocks

3. King of Braves GaoGaiGar- Has everything a good sentai-like mecha show should have including a kick-ass character with a mechanical body, and bad-ass bad guys such as pizza and the lovely enchanteress of the four machine generals. Dekaranger looks like you got some competition.

4. Samurai Champloo-Mugen I'll just say this he plain rocks and the animation stunning, fight scenes so well done it makes me want to drool and fall of the edge of my seat.

5. Mahou Sensei Negima-Ken Akamatsu's latest works its shaping up to be one of my favorites so far unlike love hina not a single thread was skipped, the story innovating, and the characters with great emotion.

6. Transformers Galaxy Force- One of the best Gonzo produced animes ever this surpasses even Superlink in emotion, characters, Megatron's bad-assness, and the new Starscream.

7. Trigun- Leave no strings attached this is one great Gunfight anime with Vash the Stampede and his wacky humor involved so I say this Draw Varmit!

8. Lupin the III- Classic, humorus with an original plot of Arsene Lupin Running from the detective Zenigata non-stop fun that had me rolling in my seat for hours and hours.

9. Kikaider- Ishinomori's classic tale of an Android who wanted to be human almost brought me to tears after just finishing the run, poor Jiro.

10. Cowboy Bebop- Do I really have to explain myself on this
El Oso

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Top 10 Favorite Anime

1. Boogiepop Phantom- This is an anime I like watching in a dark room with surround sound. The eerie music and dull colors set up a nice atmosphere for the show. I find most of the individual stories interesting and how (most) of them tie in with each other. The non linear episodes are a nice touch as well. It makes for something different and forces you to pay attention. Because you definitely need to pay attention. This is a series where I would recommend reading the books first. Especially now that Boogiepop at Dawn has been released stateside. You don't need to, and even I started it without any previous knowledge of the franchise. However, reading the books helped explain some things and increased my overall enjoyment when I re-watched the anime.

2. Cowboy Bebop- Not much I can say that already hasn't been said about Bebop. Great animation, action, a superb jazzy soundtrack by the legendary Yoko Kanno, and some well done voice acting especially by the english cast. The only real complaint I have is, in terms of entertainment value, the one shot episodes vary in quality. Overall though it's one of the best shows of its kind.

3. Ebichu- As far as crude humor goes, this show takes the cake. Sex jokes abound, and enough hamster pummeling to send PETA into a frenzy. The highlight of the series is the Ebichuman episodes, where the cute little hamster turns into a superhero and solves peoples sexual problems. Need I say more?

4. Berserk- The biggest thing keeping this from a masterpiece rating is the ending, or lack thereof. Couldn't they just have included the *End of the series SPOILER* spoiler[Skull Knight, and the part where he saves Guts at the very end?] At the very least it would have explained how Guts got out of an impossible situation and tie it in to the first episode. Aside from that it's a very solid story. Lots of action, gore, and some supernatural elements make for some eerie foreshadowing.

5. Monster - This is certainly the best mystery anime I've ever seen, 74 episodes of more plot twists and shocking revelations than you can shake a stick at. It's a pretty long series, but there's plenty of characters (several of whom have their own arcs) to keep things interesting. It's hard to find one not to like. I rather enjoy then animation too, as the characters aren't all "sexified" like how they are in so many other anime nowdays. Also, this is one of the few series that proves anime has the potential to surpass its manga counterpart. The story follows the manga almost exactly, however it uses what animation can bring to the story: sound, motion, and color to strengthen it. Kudos to Madhouse for doing such a great adaptation.

6. Black Lagoon - This is the best action anime I've seen thus far. It blends in fast paced Hollywood-esque action, bad ass babes, superb animation, and reference packed, well written dialog extremely well. Hell, even when things slow down the character interactions are a joy to watch (especially between Rock and Revy). And to top it all off, the quality remains consistent in every respect! This is definitely a must see for any action fan.

7. Last Exile - I'll start by saying the animation is excellent. While some may not like the CG, it blends in well enough as to not to be distracting. The battles are very impressive, which include some of the best dogfights I've seen since Macross Plus. I also like how they added the concept of chivalry and airship battles are conducted similarly to how naval battles were centuries ago. The characters were hit-or-miss for me, some being interesting (Moran, Delfine, Dio), and others being fairly typical fare (Claus, Tatiana, Alex) . I'd like to note that Delfine makes for a rather stereotypical villain, but she plays her part so well she's far from being dull. Overall the story really had an epic feel to it, and Gonzo did a good job of creating a world you can easily become immersed in. Bonus points for actually having a conclusive ending!

8. Mushi-shi - Along with Monster, this is another series that uses the strengths of animation to improve the story. The most notable is the use of color, especially the use of green! The thing that suprised me most about Mushi-shi, is that it manages telling a complete story in a twenty minute time frame extremely well. It's doesn't feel rushed, and even though everything is laid-back, from the opening song to the pace of the story, it doesn't drag. I can't say enough about the voice acting either, it's simply superb. Definitely recommended for someone who likes a more subdued drama anime with good storytelling.

9. Mononoke - I absolutely love the unique animation style of this show! It was a little jarring at first, but it quickly grew on me. The exorcist fighting evil spirits isn't anything new, but the stories do an excellent job of grabbing your attention and keep you wondering what's going to happen.

10. Hellsing Ultimate - The OVA's aren't even close to done, but it's highly unlikely they will stray off course. As of now, well, it's closely following the manga therefore it simply oozes style. Vampires? Check. Nazis? Check. Badass priest? Check. Psychotic anti-hero? Check. Tons of fighting between all of the above, complete with loads of gore and maniacal laughter? Check. Sound cool? Well, IT IS!

Top 5 Least Favorite

1. Reign: The Conqueror- My opinion is basically the same as Kourin's...
Quote:
First was the historical accuracy...or the lack there of rather, but the main thing was the animation. *gag*

2. Kikaider- Full of goofy looking characters, predictable plot, bad animation, and lots of panning. Enough with the freakin' panning!

3. .Hack//Roots- I only made it about 5 episodes in. Dear lord it's boring. Nothing happens! The main character just wanders around and talks to people. Not even the conversations are interesting in the least. Sure, it sounded like it might build up to something mildly intriguing, but I don't want to wait another 10 episodes for something to happen.

4. Tekken: the movie- Horrible fight scenes, animation and story (it is based off of a fighting game after all), and yet it tries so hard to pass off as being cool.

5. Kaidohmaru- I think this had the potential to be good, but in the end it suffered greatly by being far too short, nor did I know what the hell was going on.

EDIT: Decided to make some changes/additions. Its been awhile since I first made the list.

Last edited by El Oso on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Chiroptera Rex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:38 am Reply with quote
I've actually never read the stickies before because they were too long. Usually when I start reading a thread I have to read the whole thread. So reading 8 pages can take quite a while. I finally decided to read through tonight and thought that most people here have the same opinions I do (and some that don't Wink). There are even some animes that I have never even heard of that I may look into.

For my Favourites I will list the ones I own (all 8 of 'em) as they are my favourite animes as of now. I'd just like to add that none of these animes are better than the other. I love them all equally. Also, in each of these animes, the music is also one of the main reasons why I love each of these series.

Heat Guy J - I bought this anime without having any idea what it was about or if it was any good. I saw a preview of it on another Pioneer DVD. The preview was actually the opening theme. I must say I am so glad that I picked it up. The artwork, the music (that opening theme is very 80's rock), the characters, and the story were just fantastic.

Witch Hunter Robin - I missed the first run of the show on Adult Swim. During it's second run, AS didn't show it past the 7th episode, as I remember. Over the next few months I rewatched and re-rewatched those few episodes and just couldn't get it out of my head. When the complete collection became available I just had to grab a copy. I am glad I did. The story is very touching for such a darkly animated show. I enjoyed every second of the it.

Last Exile - I saw eps 9-12 on Tech TV, about the time when they were about to show the rest of the series, and decided to buy the complete collection when it came out just a few weeks later. Each episode is very connected and so there are only a few episodes that you can really just jump into and know what's going on. The series just kept on building on itself and it was such an emotional ending. There were many moments throughout the series where I teared up. I'm glad I bought this series!

Cowboy Bebop - The anime series that started it all for me. I caught the first run on AS and never looked back. The best part of the series is the music. And most of the songs, including the ep titles, have such great names.

Neon Genesis: Evangelion - After I had watched Bebop a few hundred times, I figured it was time to find another anime. This was the first one I bought. Like Heat Guy J I bought this without ever seeing a single episode. However, unlike J, I bought the entire series without even seeing a preview. I just bought it. I loved the opening theme to NGE, but just could not get into the series. I was more fond of Gendo then Shinji. After viewing the series I put it away for a while, vowing never to watch it again. However, I brought it out last year and just loved it. It was like I was watching a whole new anime. Now, like all the other animes I have, I bring this one out every once in a while and watch an episode or two.

Trigun - I found the idea of insurance agents tracking a mysterious, but deadly, bounty head down very intriguing. It reminded me of Bebop. It was very refreshing when I saw how everyone really saw Vash when they got to know him. Those who don't know him think he's the most dangerous man on the planet. Those who know him know he's just a bumbling idiot. Well, spoiler[actually a man who has walked a very hard road], but that doesn't come out until later.

Ghost in the Shell (1995 movie) and the Stand Alone Complex series - I've throughly enjoyed the series so far and was very glad to see Motoko, Batou, Togusa, Aramaki, and Ishikawa again. The series is just as strong as the movie it's based on. While I feel the 1995 movie could have been longer, I was impressed by how philosophical it was.

Fullmetal Alchemist - I must admit I hated this series when I first saw it. But I kept on taping it, since it airs before GitS:SAC on AS, and went from hating it, to being on the wall, to loving it so much that I have begun to collect the series. I'm glad it's just as long as GitS:SAC. I love the way Ed has had to grow up so quickly and learn that everything is not as it seems to be.

Two series that I have not watched, but have seen that other people like are The Twelve Kingdoms and Gungrave (also because Yasuhiro Nightow created the series). I will not watch the latter until the entire series comes out on DVD, but I will be watching the former series very soon, as I have just obtained all ten of the DVDs.

Well, this post is long enough so I'll just mention one series I do not like:

Noir - I've only seen the series up to ep 5, but I just couldn't take it anymore. I just had such a problem with the fact that Mirielle spoiler[said she'd kill Kirika when she found out the truth, but I just felt that wasn't going to happen, that in the end they'd be close friends. Plus, if she wanted to find the truth, why not just kill her and see what happens. Eventually, someone was bound to search her out and find out why she killed Kirika.]

While it may not be the same, I read a full recap of each episode of the entire series and spoiler[I don't understand the fact that Kirika was crying because she says she couldn't feel sorry for the people she killed. Well, if she's crying, doesn't that means she feels something? I just didn't understand that. Reading the rest of the recaps I just could picture how the each episode went and didn't feel the series was any good.]

Finally, trained assassins killing people and hardly any blood is shown. That really turned me off.

I suppose someday I will watch this series all the way through and maybe change my mind, but for now Noir makes my list of anime I do not like.
Neclord516

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:47 am Reply with quote
Well you mustn't have read to well because Gungrave is my #3 anime just behind Hajime no Ippo and Berserk. Gungrave has great action and story. I love every part about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 122