• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Guardian Force

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote
Chrono Cross is a masterpiece and I still have my original copy that I preordered from EB. I've actually been playing through it again for quite awhile when it's too early or late to have Forza 4 or Uncharted 3 blaring. I would link to Gamespot's 10/10 review (when they still did .1 increments I might add), but they seem to be having 404 problems. You'll have to make do with IGN's 9.7.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:21 am Reply with quote
Y'know it's so scary when I see another 'Cooking Mama'. I almost forgot about the 4th game. I guess I'll be getting a 3DS but not for that.

Glad to hear that Guardian Heroes is making a a comeback online. Folks who didn't get the chance now will. It's actually funny watching the AI vs AI but you can't put those big characters in there. Talk about slowdown. Surprised
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:23 am Reply with quote
Chrono Cross would be a great game if it wasn't for how unfriendly its game mechanics were made.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote
All this talk about the Saturn and not one shout out to the Langrisser series?

I am disappoint. Sad
Raikuro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
I think part of the reason Phoenix Wright seems lame is that awful, ill-fitting voice they got for him. He couldn't even say "Take That!" right...
corinthian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Still waiting on parts 2 and 3 of Shining Force 3... But I'd certainly accept a downloadable rerelease of part 1
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I really want that Mario game. Oh well, in time. I just need to be patient.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The other games in the Winter of RPGs aren't as important, at least not in this form. They're the PlayStation versions of Final Fantasy V and VI, previously released in one go as Final Fantasy Anthology. They're certainly playable, but they're burdened by load times

I'd like to point out that this was due to the use of CDs instead of cartridges. Based on other games that had this issue that are now on PSN, this problem will not exist on the PSN releases so it was kind of pointless to mention that. Also you're very alone in your Chrono Cross feelings. Hardcore Chrono Trigger fanboys/fangirls will attack it like crazy but any true RPG fan that beat the game knows just how amazing it really is. It's on par with Trigger for many many many of us. Such a great game...too bad Disgaea 4, dark souls, rocksmith, battlefield 3, and Skyward Sword made me go broke until next year.

varmintx wrote:
Chrono Cross is a masterpiece and I still have my original copy that I preordered from EB. I've actually been playing through it again for quite awhile when it's too early or late to have Forza 4 or Uncharted 3 blaring. I would link to Gamespot's 10/10 review (when they still did .1 increments I might add), but they seem to be having 404 problems. You'll have to make do with IGN's 9.7.

lol..this was back when both sites were actually worth anything. now most their reviews are clearly paid off or just extremely biased thanks to fanboyism overcoming the reviewers. amazing how much has changed in a decade. I miss the old days of gaming
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The controls work surprisingly well with a standard Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 controller, and this downloadable version supports racing wheels on both consoles.

It is most unfortunate that racing wheels are few and far between on one of such systems, save for those whose disposable funds are plentiful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I constantly compare Chrono Cross to Gundam Seed Destiny, they are a heavily flawed sequel that has an amazing soundtrack and is still enjoyable.

With Chrono Cross they basically force you to read a walkthrough because you can easily miss characters (one early character can be missed if you agree to help Kidd when you first meet her), and one character's mechanics are never explained so unless you use it early and often it ends up as an extremely weak character. The gameplay is still enjoyable, you will still have at least 10 characters you will enjoy, there's a ton of sidequests, and the story is good (though it does get worse in the second half).
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote
@charred knight, you ought to be taken out into the street and stoned to death for that comment

Chrono Cross is generally reviewed on the aggregate at around the same level as Trigger, and a lot of people like it better; I honestly think the only downside is the fate of the original Trigger characters, but other than that it was a great game

Destiny is by far the worst gundam, and is a sequel to seed which maybe the greatest gundam, and destiny is in fact a bottom feeder anime in general; the term flawed is generally applied to work that has sincere merits, but certain aspects keep it from living up to its billing, there is nothing even medicore about destiny, the only flaw of destiny is that it was made in the first place, and flaws gundam seed as a result

so in short your comparsion is not even close to accurate
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Sega Saturn: I ordered a Saturn only a few years ago so I could play Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean, a great RPG that did well for its time. I still own the system and game, but the Saturn has been sleeping in my closet for ages now. I know the Saturn had a lot of great games, but I was too late to join the party. No way I could consider affording them now though, despite I still want to try Shining the Holy Ark. Incidentally, it was the console that had a majority of the anime games on it, wasn't it?

7th Dragon 2020: So tired of the "dragons being bad guys" plot, but at least they can wipe you out pretty easily in this game. Take that bigheaded doll things. XP

Chrono Cross: Now to speak for the epic level of this game. Summer of 2000, one of the best times in my life. The game was amazing, the connections to Chrono Trigger were abundant, Lynx was one of the coolest antagonists I'd ever seen (still is) and the music is incredible to this day. Today, a lot of people hate the game now for its odd plot points, its actual story which is horribly convoluted, the huge cast of characters with little to no development and similar complaints. As for me, this game, along with Legend of Mana and Threads of Fate, at my summer up. I never stopped playing it, because it was a fun yet melancholic adventure from start to finish. The true ending especially had me hooked because despite all the sadness, despair, suffering and such that occurred in the story, there was something to smile about and something to think about once the credits finished rolling.

Guardian Heroes: To this day, I don't know why I never played this. It sounds like tons of fun and after watching the numerous gameplay videos, I want to try it. I used to own an old game magazine which featured GH prominently on the cover. The undead hero is just awesome too. Does anyone know who he is exactly?

UMvC3: I can't wait to hear the complaints about this one, lol. At least Firebrand is in it, but they should have gone with his age in Demon's Crest, not his position as a generic monster that knocked Arthur out of his armor. Rocket Raccoon the space furry is already getting tons of praise despite initial hatred for his inclusion. Just goes to show how easily opinion can sway.
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In his quest to rescue her, Mario gets the raccoon tail as well as other power-ups, including the Tanooki Suit and a new boomerang-throwing turtle guise.

Actually, only the Tanooki Suit is used. Mario with just the basic raccoon tail and ears as seen in Super Mario Bros. 3 does not appear in Super Mario 3D Land whatsoever.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I love Chrono Cross, in spite - or quite possibly because - of its utterly insane story. When it comes to crazily convoluted, pseudo-philosophizing, artistically ambitious JRPG plots, Chrono Cross's is lord and master of them all. It blew my impressionable 12-year-old mind straight across the room, and I still think it's one of the most thematically and artistically bold and impacting games in its genre. There's just nothing else quite like it. The game itself is not as well structured, efficiently streamlined and masterfully paced as Chrono Trigger, but on some level I like it better for its sheer balls-to-the-wall ambitiousness. We need more games like it, especially in the increasingly worn-out JRPG genre.

It's worth reiterating as well that Chrono Cross is easily one of the most audiovisually exquisite games ever made. Yasuyuki Honne's art direction is unmatched, and Yasunori Mitsuda's soundtrack is one of, if not the best video game score ever created.

Last edited by gatotsu911 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RoverTX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
lol..this was back when both sites were actually worth anything. now most their reviews are clearly paid off or just extremely biased thanks to fanboyism overcoming the reviewers. amazing how much has changed in a decade. I miss the old days of gaming

Thats sad but true.... the only two site now that I can find good reviews are here and RPG fan, other wise I am searching through different forums. Its really sad how clearly bought off those big sites are, and xenophobic, major western and japanese video game sites/mags have become.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2