• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sunday Spotlight

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:08 am Reply with quote
so does Yuki Kajiura actually speak english? she seems very well composed.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:14 am Reply with quote
Both she and Murata used translators. Bamboo also spent a lot of time cleaning things up.
El Oso

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:31 am Reply with quote
Great column!

I never really kept track of anyone other than Yoko Kanno in the anime music department... until now. I was pleasantly suprised after looking at what she was staffed in. She composes some damn good music!
Quote:
the guy in a cardboard Gundam who tried to dance at an Otakon costume and fell on his back

I'm getting a mental image of a dancing cardboard Gundam singing "Domo arigato Mr. Roboto..."
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:05 am Reply with quote
El Oso wrote:
I never really kept track of anyone other than Yoko Kanno in the anime music department... until now. I was pleasantly suprised after looking at what she was staffed in. She composes some damn good music!

yeah her and Yoko Kanno run almost neck and neck.
i would highly recommend checking out the soundtrack to "Le Portait De Petit Cossette". my favorite work by her so far.

her album "Fiction" is also very good.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:31 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
El Oso wrote:

yeah her and Yoko Kanno run almost neck and neck.
i would highly recommend checking out the soundtrack to "Le Portait De Petit Cossette". my favorite work by her so far.

her album "Fiction" is also very good.
I have both her "Noir" OST's which are hardly ever out of my player either at home, or in the car. I had to stop playing "Salva Nos" whilst driving as I found myself driving too aggressively on the motorway when it was playing. Shocked Embarassed
I also have her "Fiction" CD which is mostly ".Hack" soundtracks which are very good but not as good as her "Noir" tracks. I was disappointed with the re-mixes of "Canter Per Me" and "Solva Nos" for the "Fiction" CD. If those tracks were on the original I wouldn't have liked "Noir" as much as I do. Sorry Ms. Kajiura, but I must be honest with you.

So who decides who will be interviewed? I'd love to see an interview of Toru Miura, President of AIC, or Masaki Kajishima, author and creator of Tenchi Muyo, Ryo-Ohki OVA's, GXP, and Duel. Please? Very Happy
joon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:17 am Reply with quote
I suggest you to listen to .hack//sign, noir, madlax OST first to get used to Yuki songs then listen to Mai-HiME OST which is my fav her work.

My fav song of Yuki Kajiura is Himeboshi, Canta per me, The World, Key of the Twilight, Akatuski no Kuruma, fields of hope and the list goes on..
El Oso

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
would highly recommend checking out the soundtrack to "Le Portait De Petit Cossette". my favorite work by her so far.

I'll have to get that one, I loved the music on the Cossette OVAs
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Also look out for Kajiura's music in Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle which premieres in April.
DBCDude01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Spotlight is great! You ANN guys did a good job.

Maybe sometime, your Sunday spotlight may be Izumi Todo, from Nakayoshi Magazine! Good night!
Izlude

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:03 pm Reply with quote
That interview with Stu Levy was impressive, I think thats the first time I've seen an interview with that dude.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:04 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Mohawk52"][quote="v1cious"]
El Oso wrote:
I was disappointed with the re-mixes of "Canter Per Me" and "Solva Nos" for the "Fiction" CD. If those tracks were on the original I wouldn't have liked "Noir" as much as I do. Sorry Ms. Kajiura, but I must be honest with you.

i don't know, i love the remake of "Cante Per Me" it sounds more like what the song should be.

i personally the find the Mai Hime soundtrack to be her most disappointing work so far. i mean it has some awesome tracks, but overall it's pretty mediocre.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
That interview with Stu Levy was impressive, I think thats the first time I've seen an interview with that dude.

^^;;;

Thanks! I was actually quite surprised myself at how easy it was to get the interview, and how short the turn-around time was. This is just an inference, but I think TokyoPop is not stupid, and *wants* the kind of positive publicity an interview like this allows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:00 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
so does Yuki Kajiura actually speak english? she seems very well composed.

Actually, she speaks very good English. However, half of her responses were still done through a translator, and then cleaned up a bit.

DBCdude01 wrote:
Sunday Spotlight is great! You ANN guys did a good job.

Thanks! And thanks to everyone who's commented so far! I'm really, really stoked beyond normality about this project, and I'm glad people appreciate it! We're working on getting you guys some great content, so please look forward to it!!
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:03 am Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
Izlude wrote:

^^;;;

Thanks! I was actually quite surprised myself at how easy it was to get the interview, and how short the turn-around time was. This is just an inference, but I think TokyoPop is not stupid, and *wants* the kind of positive publicity an interview like this allows.

I'm sorry, but that interview either was a cop-out or was done under the stipulation that the questions would illicit "positive responses" and not make Tokyopop look bad. Kinda bad considering how alot of manga fans have griped or noted the mangled translation Tokyopop (has/accused of) done. Some of the answers, if mis-construed wrong, could be thought of as that Tokyopop "doesn't give a rat's behind, so long as they make money."

Yeah, and Initial D was supposed to be on TV when? "Rave-a-Lution?"

Other than that, I think the rest of the Interviews were great. Keep it up.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

I'm sorry, but that interview either was a cop-out or was done under the stipulation that the questions would illicit "positive responses" and not make Tokyopop look bad. Kinda bad considering how alot of manga fans have griped or noted the mangled translation Tokyopop (has/accused of) done. Some of the answers, if mis-construed wrong, could be thought of as that Tokyopop "doesn't give a rat's behind, so long as they make money."

Yeah, and Initial D was supposed to be on TV when? "Rave-a-Lution?"

Other than that, I think the rest of the Interviews were great. Keep it up.

On the one hand, you're technically correct; I could have been a hostile interviewer. On the other, it doesn't matter. This is not an investigative article on Tokyopop, it's a profile of someone who has largely defined the way manga is presented in the US. Having said that, there were no "stipulations" or input from Tokyopop on the kinds of questions I asked Stu - I simply came up with several that I myself think manga fans may be interested in finding out the answers to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2