• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TAN on COX on Demand

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
herbkir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:35 am Reply with quote
While Cox is a big cable operator, TAN is still going up as an on-demand channel. I think it would be much bigger news if TAN cut a deal with Cox for a scheduled linear cable feed, which could put TAN in the basic or 2nd-tier service and greatly expand its audience. (^_*)
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:43 am Reply with quote
RAWR.

*pokes Time Warner*
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:48 am Reply with quote
Nah, ADV has more or less admitted that the linear TAN is going nowhere and was just something they came up with to convince cable companies to pick up the VOD service, which, I'm guessing, the overhead is much lower for than a full 24/7 linear channel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Well it's easier to run an on-demand service than a linear channel. Less overhead costs, practically zero content restrictions, and more direct profit. This deal is still a boon to TAN.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I have Comcast Cable here and the Anime Network is already on our "onDemand" service. It's kinda neat, 'cause I got to see a few episodes of newer releases... But I augh I hate that it's all dubbed. x____x;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
I have Comcast Cable here and the Anime Network is already on our "onDemand" service. It's kinda neat, 'cause I got to see a few episodes of newer releases... But I augh I hate that it's all dubbed. x____x;
yeah you think they would use the secondary audio channel for the jp audio and the Close captions or something for the subs.

yet another channel I will not be watching.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:44 pm Reply with quote
You guys do know that it is something like 75% of Anime Fans watch it dub only? I don't remember where I read that, but it was in a magazine in my College libary.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote
*Jumps up and down with joy* Bout freakin time!!!!!! Anyone know when this will become available?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
You guys do know that it is something like 75% of Anime Fans watch it dub only? I don't remember where I read that, but it was in a magazine in my College libary.

Hermph, some "fans."
space clam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:03 pm Reply with quote
DriftRoot wrote:
Advent_Nebula wrote:

Hermph, some "fans."

To each their own.

It would've been infinitely nicer (for me) if it weren't VoD, seeing as how I don't have a means to access the service. Maybe it will do well enough to encourage having a linear-feed channel...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Cthulhu33

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote
YYYYYEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!!! I have Fox and I can't wait until the service is up and going. Does anyone know how VOD works I only vaugely understand. Oh and another question is can I use my Tivo on it. Either way I am ubber excited.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:13 pm Reply with quote
VOD is an extra channel you pay about $10-15 a month for.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cthulhu33

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:22 pm Reply with quote
So does it play the same episode in rote for a month.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
yeah you think they would use the secondary audio channel for the jp audio and the Close captions or something for the subs.

I'd like for them to at least switch it up. Offer something in both languages, other things in just English, other things in just Japanese. I dunno. SOMETHING. It just sucks to have everything dub only. =/ I'm getting used to it, but arrrrr. I like choices. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote
If you want that choice, buy the DVD. That's the idea.

I hope Qwest gets this sooner or later. I'm not exactly hell bent on getting it, but it'd be nice if we do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2