• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunday Spotlight - Speedy Kahn Job

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erufu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:54 am Reply with quote
That's funny about the 4kids thing. We were just discussing how you usually can't get their anime uncut. That will make alot of people happy.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:11 am Reply with quote
What they should do is allow Cartoon Network to air the uncut versions of their shows, while 4Kids airs the heavily-edited ones over on Fox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NightHedgehog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I hope they'll release boxsets instead of 3 episodes a disc with no extras.
minakichan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:58 pm Reply with quote
OK, now 1/2 of the fans are gonna be screaming "OMG I LYK LOVE 4KIDS NOW!!!" and the other half is going to cry out about their obsession with marketing...

I dunno, I just thought this was funny "We are trying to increase our business mix and it's certain that girls make up 50% of the audience in the United States, and that they buy products as well." ...how insightful.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:12 pm Reply with quote
minakichan: In a male-oriented market run by males, that POV is considerably progressive.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:14 pm Reply with quote
That POV is also considerably a no-brainer. Girls are members of the First National Bank of Mom, too.

The real problem is marketing to girls without looking sexist.
Jifty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think they have to understand that because the price of these acquisitions is so high, that if they want this programming to come to the United States then they're going to have to accept the fact that it's going to be available in two styles. Because the only money that can be made that helps pay for the acquisition is obviously whether or not we're able to outfit it for the masses. And fitting it for the masses requires editing. And if we didn't do that, it'd be very difficult for us to afford to bring it in, just to release it to the anime fan who would be looking for the uncut version. I think we're trying to satisfy both sides of that by having it both ways so that we'll be able to afford them.

This boggles my mind here. If what he says were true, then ADV, Bandai, Geneon, etc. should all be in the crapper right now.

I call bull**** on him.
Serge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:43 pm Reply with quote
What's really stupid is they think they're making loads of Money Releasing it Edited on TV and DVD, because if the Kids like it on TV, they want their Parents to get the same Version as seen on TV, and not see a 13-17+ on it.

While at the Same time, they're losing soo much money because of Real Anime Fans, and replying to all the Hate Mail Etc...
Laruto

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Jifty wrote:
Quote:
I think they have to understand that because the price of these acquisitions is so high, that if they want this programming to come to the United States then they're going to have to accept the fact that it's going to be available in two styles. Because the only money that can be made that helps pay for the acquisition is obviously whether or not we're able to outfit it for the masses. And fitting it for the masses requires editing. And if we didn't do that, it'd be very difficult for us to afford to bring it in, just to release it to the anime fan who would be looking for the uncut version. I think we're trying to satisfy both sides of that by having it both ways so that we'll be able to afford them.

This boggles my mind here. If what he says were true, then ADV, Bandai, Geneon, etc. should all be in the crapper right now.

I call bull**** on him.

First off ADV etc don't have apealing female titles like Mew Mew power that can be marketed towards both fans. You see Madlax, yes a female show but it doesn't have mass appeal like Mew Mew and you can't gain that much from it like you would mew Mew. Thats why they Liecense certain shows.
Treeloot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Serge wrote:
What's really stupid is they think they're making loads of Money Releasing it Edited on TV and DVD, because if the Kids like it on TV, they want their Parents to get the same Version as seen on TV, and not see a 13-17+ on it.

While at the Same time, they're losing soo much money because of Real Anime Fans, and replying to all the Hate Mail Etc...

Yeah, I'm sure you're a marketing expert.

minakichan wrote:
OK, now 1/2 of the fans are gonna be screaming "OMG I LYK LOVE 4KIDS NOW!!!" and the other half is going to cry out about their obsession with marketing...

I dunno, I just thought this was funny "We are trying to increase our business mix and it's certain that girls make up 50% of the audience in the United States, and that they buy products as well." ...how insightful.

Anyone complaining about 4Kids marketing is retarded. Anime series (like One Piece) get whored out like they never will be in the US.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Jifty wrote:
Quote:

I call bull**** on him.

The cost of licenses for the shows they obtain and co-produce are no where near the same level as a several hundred, high rating prime time series such as One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh!. Ontop of that, 4kids are primarily in Children's Entertainment, NOT Teenage marketting.

It's a different playing feild.
space clam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Serge wrote:
What's really stupid is they think they're making loads of Money Releasing it Edited on TV and DVD

Yeah, they do think that... because they are....making loads of money...

Serge wrote:
While at the Same time, they're losing soo much money because of Real Anime Fans

So, from your bizarre sentence syntax, I imagine you want to say something along the lines of "They're losing money because 'Real Anime Fans' aren't buying it." Of course, that's ridiculous, because they make so much more money with mass market appeal (relative to uncut). Either you meant that, or you mean that "Real Anime Fans" are somehow draining the pockets of 4Kids with some intangible device.

Serge wrote:
replying to all the Hate Mail Etc...

As though they give replies more complex than form letters... IF they reply at all, it's not a significant profit loss.

Your concept of "Real Anime Fans" is skewed. The children who buy (or get their parents to buy) anime are "real anime fans." They're fans of anime, and they're real (not imaginary). The only trick is, they watch children's shows, which don't appeal to you, because they're children. These kids may not know as much about anime as the rest of us, or follow it as closely as others, but they're still "real anime fans," as far as I'm concerned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Jifty wrote:
Quote:

I call bull**** on him.

You're assuming that the companies are all really rich and/or doing really damned well, even though you don't have any sales figures. Cool, cool.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote
space clam wrote:
[Serge, y]our concept of "Real Anime Fans" is skewed.

I think Serge is talking about "Real Anime Fans™" You know, the ones that are "F4nsubs 4 Eva!" and all that. The ones who think American licensing companies are dumber than dirt, etc.

In other words, total idiots.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Serge wrote:

I highly doubt that they even respond to any hate mail they get. If they do, it's probably a stock answer along the lines of "this is what we're doing, deal with it." At least, that's the answer I'd give if I was a 4Kids worker.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2