• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shojo Beat Preview

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treeloot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
As a 16 year old male, who enjoys a lot of shonen stuff and actiony stuff, but also has enjoyed I"s and the Ah! My Goddess anime, do you think I'd like Shojo Beat?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I's and Ahh My Goddess were aim at guys. They are shonen stuff.

Most of these shojo beat title have female as the central character. You will have to preview the 0 issue to see if you like it because it's not for everyone.

Last edited by darkhunter on Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
s_j

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Errm...isn't the point of a free preview issue so you can find out for yourself? Wink

But note that I"s and Ah Megamisama *are* shonen...
Ialdaboth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:33 pm Reply with quote
s_j wrote:

But note that I"s and Ah Megamisama *are* shonen...

That some people would even entertain the thought that AMG and Katsura stuff are shoujo is something that puzzle me to no end.

Harems, spineless guys, submissive beautiful women : yeah, right, exactly the sort of material that girls would enjoy. Rolling Eyes

OT : Nana = excellent choice Very Happy
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Treeloot wrote:
As a 16 year old male, who enjoys a lot of shonen stuff and actiony stuff, but also has enjoyed I"s and the Ah! My Goddess anime, do you think I'd like Shojo Beat?

Meh. Bastards can fudge themselves for all I care. They [expletive] robbed me and many others out of 30 bucks.
Treeloot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:12 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
Treeloot wrote:

Meh. Bastards can fudge themselves for all I care. They [expletive] robbed me and many others out of 30 bucks.

What do you mean by that.

And while Ah! My Goddess and I"s may be shonen, they're closer to shojo than Naruto for instance.
kerrigan88

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:10 am Reply with quote
yes, but it's still shonen. Like isn't Bleach shonen? I know that there a few females fans out there of the show. Just because it's shonen don't mean females can't enjoy the show as well. There just might not be as many.

Companies will do what they can to make our money. They finally figured out that there are female fans out there.
eelozano

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:19 am Reply with quote
I think he is talking about the 30 dollars you pay to subscribe to Shojo Beat magazine.

I have subscribed and I am a 21 year old male who also enjoys Naruto and Bleach, so I guess it is possible you will enjoy this (referring to first response).

However I am a big fan of female oriented manga anyway. I enjoy Fruits Basket, Kare Kano, Hana Kimi, and Hana Yori Dango.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:08 am Reply with quote
eelozano wrote:
I think he is talking about the 30 dollars you pay to subscribe to Shojo Beat magazine.

I have subscribed and I am a 21 year old male who also enjoys Naruto and Bleach, so I guess it is possible you will enjoy this (referring to first response).

However I am a big fan of female oriented manga anyway. I enjoy Fruits Basket, Kare Kano, Hana Kimi, and Hana Yori Dango.

No, I'm talking about the 30 bucks I blew on a subscription to Animerica, only for them to cancel it 3 issues in. Fuckers.
Treeloot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:23 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
eelozano wrote:

No, I'm talking about the 30 bucks I blew on a subscription to Animerica, only for them to cancel it 3 issues in. Fuckers.

Didn't the compensate you at all?
eelozano

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm positive they compesated him. It is a 12 magazine obligation.
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote
So we have Godchild but no Count Cain (the prequel to Godchild)? Nice one Viz Rolling Eyes

I'm actually quite surprised with the titles picked, since I've wanted to read some of these for awhile (namely Nana, but also Zettai Kareshi and Aka-chan to Boku). Although I don't usually like reading anthologies, I may end up picking this up O_O Well, at least the first issue, since I've never heard of Kaze Hikaru or Beniiro Hero. Damn that there's no Sucoast where I live Mad I'll have to pay when the first issue comes out Crying or Very sad
^Broke...as usual...
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I know this has probably been said somewhere before, but is the preview issue free or do you have to pay a little for it like those anime preview DVDs? I'd pick it up if it was free, since I never really entertained the thought of diving head-first into a shojo story.
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Bara_Megami wrote:
So we have Godchild but no Count Cain (the prequel to Godchild)? Nice one Viz Rolling Eyes

Yeah. I'd really like to know why they didn't license the whole series. (Wait, I know... because the art isn't as decadent as in God Child so it wouldn't attract goth-wannabe girls.) I wonder how they're going to deal with little details like, ah, the characters' backgrounds, their motivations, events like how Cain met Riff and Merry and Jezebel, and the whole deal with his father and Augusta... Are they going to write footnotes, or what?

(Thank god I didn't wait for an American license and bought the whole series in Japanese.)
AlDim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Absolute Boyfriend

Gotta bow down to the imaginative genius who came up with such a brilliant title.

Quote:
And while Ah! My Goddess and I"s may be shonen, they're closer to shojo than Naruto for instance.

They're just as shonen as anything else targeted at boys. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2